PDA

View Full Version : They forgot the Mummy's heart

Darth Credence
2022-06-13, 09:11 AM
The PCs used a bag of beans like item to attack an orc stronghold, and got a mummy lord in a pyramid. The mummy fought the orcs, killing a lot of them before being killed by the orc priests, and the players went in and cleaned up. Freed some slaves, said the stronghold is theirs, and led the goblin slaves off to their own mine. They intend to go back and incorporate the quarry into their own slowly growing enterprise, but it will be a month or two in game before that happens.
They forgot the mummy's heart. They have been through this before, so they know that the mummy's heart matters and would bring it back to life if they don't destroy it, but they weren't thinking about it and went on their way. So we have a mummy lord and a large supply of dead bodies, about 50 miles from their home base. And it has quite a bit of time to build up its strength before they even return.
Any fun ideas for how this will play out?

Unoriginal
2022-06-13, 09:30 AM
The PCs used a bag of beans like item to attack an orc stronghold, and got a mummy lord in a pyramid. The mummy fought the orcs, killing a lot of them before being killed by the orc priests, and the players went in and cleaned up. Freed some slaves, said the stronghold is theirs, and led the goblin slaves off to their own mine. They intend to go back and incorporate the quarry into their own slowly growing enterprise, but it will be a month or two in game before that happens.
They forgot the mummy's heart. They have been through this before, so they know that the mummy's heart matters and would bring it back to life if they don't destroy it, but they weren't thinking about it and went on their way. So we have a mummy lord and a large supply of dead bodies, about 50 miles from their home base. And it has quite a bit of time to build up its strength before they even return.
Any fun ideas for how this will play out?

Are there any cities or communities nearby?

Going for the 'ancient time villain joins modern society' trope could be very fun. Mummy Lords are very wise and charisatic by regular folk standards, and a month is enough time to claim the orcs' former mine for themselves legallyn the eyes of the nearest autority, in a world where adventuring is a legit business model.

Dealing with a Mummy Lord is much harder when they have employees and investors, pay their taxes, and have started befriending the local higher-ups.

Darth Credence
2022-06-13, 09:51 AM
They are in the badlands a little bit outside of the main kingdom they have dealt with. The nearest town is Calementum - a Latin translation for "Deadwood". We are definitely talking about an area where the rough and dangerous badlands are being gathered into the civilized kingdom.
I have an Al Swearengen equivalent in the town already, but I do not have a George Hearst. I am liking the idea of it cleaning itself up a bit and going in as the owner of some mines in the badlands who is becoming more respectable and joining the kingdom. Thanks!

MrStabby
2022-06-13, 11:05 AM
Are there any cities or communities nearby?

Going for the 'ancient time villain joins modern society' trope could be very fun. Mummy Lords are very wise and charisatic by regular folk standards, and a month is enough time to claim the orcs' former mine for themselves legallyn the eyes of the nearest autority, in a world where adventuring is a legit business model.

Dealing with a Mummy Lord is much harder when they have employees and investors, pay their taxes, and have started befriending the local higher-ups.

Yeah, I think I recall seing a film about that once - an ancient Mummy in a (relatively) modern world. Had Brendan Frasier in it... now what was it called?

Generally, I think it should be tough. Play up the Mummy side of it - curses and wastelands. Crops turnign to ash . Really hammer home that the Mummy is back and is angry and isn't taking any chances this time around. I think driving them out of their stronghold (or at least trying to with a decent chance of success) will make this guy a defining vilain from the perspective of the players. Putting them back on the road for an arc of the story will make their triumph all the sweeter when they come back and win.

Amechra
2022-06-13, 09:36 PM
You know what'd be hilarious? If the heroes came back, saw that the mummy had taken over the mines... and then get thanked by the mummy for bringing him back (and avenging his death!).

Have the mummy not be hostile unless the players start something. You see, the mummy lord is a man of business, and is more than happy to pay back his debts — after all, that's just good business. In fact, he has a job that would be just perfect for a group with the party's talents...

Let your players be paranoid about whether or not the mummy is messing with them. In the meantime, you have a memorable quest-giver/morally-dubious ally to play around with.

Pex
2022-06-13, 10:53 PM
You know what'd be hilarious? If the heroes came back, saw that the mummy had taken over the mines... and then get thanked by the mummy for bringing him back (and avenging his death!).

Have the mummy not be hostile unless the players start something. You see, the mummy lord is a man of business, and is more than happy to pay back his debts — after all, that's just good business. In fact, he has a job that would be just perfect for a group with the party's talents...

Let your players be paranoid about whether or not the mummy is messing with them. In the meantime, you have a memorable quest-giver/morally-dubious ally to play around with.

This or even not have dubiousness and let the mummy be Honest True friendly. He likes his immortality and willing to be the party's Guardian Champion. They have a stronghold and could develop into a fiefdom. Being immortal the mummy sees the big picture of a new nation in the future. He is Honest True loyal, the party is in command. The party will be off adventuring anyway so he gets his Big Boss jollies while they're away, contributing to increasing the size and prosperity of the fiefdom in whatever approved manners the party wants. It's a nation when the campaign ends/party retires. The party's descendants or heirs are rulers down the line. He is still there enjoying the benefits of Importance, Prestige, and Leadership without the burdens of Commands. If there should be such a time in the future there are no more heirs he finally accepts Command himself having done his Duty with Honor and Distinction.

SociopathFriend
2022-06-13, 11:14 PM
We did something very similar in Baldur's Gate in my last campaign.

Except we were like Level 3 and thus had no intention of messing with that pyramid.

Far as I know- it's still firmly lodged underneath that manor complete with Mummy Lord.

However I second (third? fourth) the suggestion that the Mummy become a benevolent antagonist. He's going to be a dramatic force for change, some of it bad, but should hold no permanent ill will towards the party. Make him the better man.

That way if the adventurers show back up to attack him again he can point out he didn't restart hostilities, "Which makes me the better person, don't ya think? You may kill me dead but the moral high ground is mine."

loki_ragnarock
2022-06-14, 06:21 AM
They return to find the mummy has turned the mines into an orphanage, with many references to empty nest syndrome.

Well, I think this is about wrapped up.

Willie the Duck
2022-06-14, 07:40 AM
Double points if the Mummy has some form of stranger in a strange land issues -- constantly reverts to a foreign language no one speaks, has the zombies he makes prepare the quarry for sandstorms, etc.

Monster Manuel
2022-06-14, 07:41 AM
Play up the Mummy side of it - curses and wastelands. Crops turnign to ash .

This can be true at the same time as the other suggestions about the Mummy Lord being grateful and non-hostile to the party (which I also fully support).

The ML may be smart enough to realize that it can fit into current society and adapt to be more civic-minded, but it's still a horrible monster, cursed to wreak vengeance on those that wronged it. The job growth and industrial investment in Calamentum is great, but balanced by the plagues of locusts, and the black, midnight winds that blow nightmares from the depths of the old orcish keep. And, maybe the townspeople just roll with it.

"Yep, life's been good since ol' Khopesh-Ra opened the mines back up. Sure, last Tuesday all our flour turned to sand, but the Big Guy brought in a caravan from Wesport couplea' days later, replaced it all and stocked up on some winter preserves while we were at it. Fer a dried-out corpse in a fancy robe, that guy's all right. Way better'n the orcs that used to raid every couplea weeks, anyway"

Darth Credence
2022-06-14, 08:57 AM
This is all outstanding stuff! Thank you so much, I had no real ideas other than a fight. I really like the idea of the mummy lord being a more civilized person that they can work with. It isn't unprecedented in the campaign since they helped an evil witch and wizard repair their marriage, so they will probably love it.

Sigreid
2022-06-14, 09:08 AM
Sounds to me like the birth of a new cult with a mummy lord at it's head.

Pex
2022-06-14, 06:46 PM
Sounds to me like the birth of a new cult with a mummy lord at it's head.

https://i.postimg.cc/Px9tcmLX/mummy.jpg

XmonkTad
2022-06-15, 12:17 PM
"Yep, life's been good since ol' Khopesh-Ra opened the mines back up. Sure, last Tuesday all our flour turned to sand, but the Big Guy brought in a caravan from Wesport couplea' days later, replaced it all and stocked up on some winter preserves while we were at it. Fer a dried-out corpse in a fancy robe, that guy's all right. Way better'n the orcs that used to raid every couplea weeks, anyway"

I love that idea. The land shivers at the presence of such an unnatural creature, but he's actually quite civilized. His corruption could be played off as a kind of pollution that, from his standpoint, is no worse than medieval sewage. Honestly, a benevolent Mummy Lord vs. A Druid Grove could be a fun war to drop the players into.

Keravath
2022-06-15, 02:07 PM
After reading the Mummy Lord stat block, I am less than impressed with it as an opponent. They have 97 hit points and are vulnerable to fire. They do have advantage on saving throws but with the number of spells that can do fire damage, they aren't likely to last long against a knowledgeable party - as long as they stay out of melee range. Even then, the mummy lord only has +9 to hit, so depending on level and AC, they may not hit that often - though they can use their legendary actions for 3 more attacks if targets are close enough.

They also won't have much of an undead "army". If the DM follows the rules for animate dead, and the mummy uses every spell slot of 3rd+ every day to maintain their "army" - it amounts to 60 controlled undead and no spell slots above 2nd level.

On the other hand, maybe a mummy doesn't need to retain control the undead - just create them? (that would be a DM house rule but it might also make sense - in that case they could raise 33 undead/day using their spells for animate dead).

Finally, the mummy lord trying to collect local allies would make sense .. they are lawful evil so might be expected to work with others to protect themselves and expand their domain.

P.S. A smart mummy lord will find at least a ring of fire resistance ASAP - if they could come up with a way to be immune to fire they would likely do that too :)

MrStabby
2022-06-15, 06:33 PM
After reading the Mummy Lord stat block, I am less than impressed with it as an opponent. They have 97 hit points and are vulnerable to fire. They do have advantage on saving throws but with the number of spells that can do fire damage, they aren't likely to last long against a knowledgeable party - as long as they stay out of melee range. Even then, the mummy lord only has +9 to hit, so depending on level and AC, they may not hit that often - though they can use their legendary actions for 3 more attacks if targets are close enough.

They also won't have much of an undead "army". If the DM follows the rules for animate dead, and the mummy uses every spell slot of 3rd+ every day to maintain their "army" - it amounts to 60 controlled undead and no spell slots above 2nd level.

On the other hand, maybe a mummy doesn't need to retain control the undead - just create them? (that would be a DM house rule but it might also make sense - in that case they could raise 33 undead/day using their spells for animate dead).

Finally, the mummy lord trying to collect local allies would make sense .. they are lawful evil so might be expected to work with others to protect themselves and expand their domain.

P.S. A smart mummy lord will find at least a ring of fire resistance ASAP - if they could come up with a way to be immune to fire they would likely do that too :)

Yeah, Mummy Lords do go down fast sometimes and honestly I think they overestimated the practical CR but they can be nasty. If the party doesn't have a source of magical fire those 97 HP might go further than expected. The Mummy Lord has a pretty decent spell list: Spiritual weapon, command, shield of faith, hold person (from up to a 6th level spell slot), silence, dispell magic... all potentially very useful. Landing a high level hold person on the party then using actions and legendry actions for rotting fist attacks, each with advantage and doing 18d6+4 damage per hit will take PCs down pretty damn fast. And that PC reduced to 0hp - it had better pass its con save or no pop-up healing for it.

The attacks are solid anyway - some respectable damage per hit and being able to use the dreadful glare as well is neat. Again paralysis plus massive criticals will end PCs fast.

This guy's legendary actions are also some of the best out there. Blinding dust is a caster-killer. Walk up to them and blind them so they can't misty step away or target you with a lot of spells.

Blasphemous word is an area of effect stun - these can be deadly.

Channel Negative Energy is a bit niche but keeping downed characters downed when it needs to can turn a small amount of bad luck into a TPK.

Whirlwind of sand is a vital addition to a sedentary mummy lord with a paltry 20ft move speed. Whipping across the battlefield to the back lines to unleash some serious pain on the weakest members there adds a lot of tactical depth.

Some of the immunities are interesting as well - things like immunity to non magical weapons probably won't worry most PCs, unless they need summoned creatures to deal damage. That could come as a bit of a shock (and even a shepherd druid using conjure animals can be shut down hard by silence). And some good saves as well - for a mediocre stat line it gets a lot of bonuses to saves (plus magic resistance). Even the fire vulnerability is somewhat offset by the Mummy's lair acions, one of which can potentially stop spells being cast. Use of whirlwind of sand coupled with timing of lair actions to provide cover could lead to an interesting game of cat and mouse with a party reliant on casters.

The mummy curse doesn't appear in the stat block, but that level of disadvantage on saves from picking up treasure can turn those DC16 saves into something pretty hard to pass, even for those proficient. Now he fun thing for the OP is that the players have already fought the mummy and possibly still have the loot from then. And even if they have passed it on, they are still cursed till they return it (there is a certain assumption that the regional effect returns when the mummy returns).

An optimised party or one that gets the drop on a Mummy Lord shouldn't have too much trouble (though getting the drop on one given their lair action to detect living and their range of divination spells is a challenge in itself, one made harder by the difficulty in scrying on them) but for a party caught unawares or without the right tools it can be a really deadly encounter.

So the Mummy Lord is a bit unimpressive, but it has enough good features that some small tweaks and boosts could make a big, big difference. Your suggested ring of fire immunity is a good place to start but other tweaks could help. A few more HP, an extra pip of AC, and Extra +1 to the DC of its saves. Maybe some equipment - a shield would make a big difference as might some armour (though beware of heat metal). A few more spells could help - wall of stone might be thematic and could cause some serious issues, likewise stone shape might surprise a party thinking to use its own walls to control the flow of the encounter. Ans as always, solo monsters are always relatively easy - some stone golems might be appropriate guards (possibly toned down) or maybe a shield guardian.