PDA

View Full Version : When do you declare targets of EB

nickl_2000
2022-06-14, 06:17 AM
You are a high level Warlock who is using Eldritch Blast. At what point do you declare the targets of the 4 blasts? Do you declare them 1 at a time or all at the start?

Mastikator
2022-06-14, 07:04 AM
I'd say all at the start.
Edit- the spell doesn't say the beams emerge simultaneously, so one at a time.

Amnestic
2022-06-14, 07:09 AM
RAW, you pick and choose after each attack is resolved, one at a time.

DM might rule otherwise of course.

Yakk
2022-06-14, 07:58 AM
It depends on if the table is finding the EB based warlock is overshadowing every other PC at the table's damage output too much or not.

Dork_Forge
2022-06-14, 08:10 AM
Anytime before you expect it to be resolved, the attack can't be fully resolved if the DM doesn't know who you're targeting.

Keravath
2022-06-14, 08:32 AM
Eldritch blast gives the character the ability to make a ranged spell attack against a target. They get more attacks at certain levels and the beams can be directed against the same or different targets.

The order of resolution is covered in the general combat rules on making an attack. An attack involves, choosing a target, determining modifiers and resolving the attack as either a miss or a hit and then assign damage.

Eldritch blast has no specific wording that changes the general rules of attack resolution. As a result, each beam from EB is a separate ranged spell attack that is fully resolved before the next one is dealt with. Targeting is the first step of attack resolution. Unless the DM has a house rule, RAW, EB resolves each attack in order and each beam may be targeted at the same or different creatures.

EB: "A beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 force damage.

The spell creates more than one beam when you reach higher levels: two beams at 5th level, three beams at 11th level, and four beams at 17th level. You can direct the beams at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each beam."

Attack: "Whether you’re striking with a melee weapon, firing a weapon at range, or making an attack roll as part of a spell, an attack has a simple structure.

1) Choose a target. Pick a target within your attack’s range: a creature, an object, or a location.

2) Determine modifiers. The DM determines whether the target has cover and whether you have advantage or disadvantage against the target. In addition, spells, special abilities, and other effects can apply penalties or bonuses to your attack roll.

3) Resolve the attack. You make the attack roll. On a hit, you roll damage, unless the particular attack has rules that specify otherwise. Some attacks cause special effects in addition to or instead of damage."

RSP
2022-06-14, 09:04 PM
There’s been threads on this before, if you want to review those for further info.

My understanding is many see them the same as Extra Attack, though the fact that the spell is Instantaneous has others feeling it should be declared at casting (that is, you declare all targets before moving to see if they hit or how much damage they do).

Kane0
2022-06-14, 11:32 PM
It depends on if the table is finding the EB based warlock is overshadowing every other PC at the table's damage output too much or not.

Good answer.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-06-15, 12:13 AM
There’s been threads on this before, if you want to review those for further info.

My understanding is many see them the same as Extra Attack, though the fact that the spell is Instantaneous has others feeling it should be declared at casting (that is, you declare all targets before moving to see if they hit or how much damage they do).

The one difference I see is that the ability to move between attacks is specific to the weapon attacks. So yeah, declare and resolve them individually (or together to save time, I don't care). But you can't move between blasts. All must be resolved before you can continue or start moving.

Telok
2022-06-15, 12:44 AM
Rulings without rules.

But seriously, in practice at our table it's declare all targets & intentions at time of casting before resolving the spell effects. So it's all rolled & treated as simultaneous except when the push/pull effect matters. That's mostly popping something to offset disadvantage when casting EB in melee, because those generally only work on one attack but it won't matter if the first shot hits, or when pushing the target out of sight (fog & wall spells & long range darkness). Then it's just annoying to go back for more rolling when dis/advantage changes.

nickl_2000
2022-06-15, 05:35 AM

We don't tend to worry about that all that much at our table. Everyone is effective in different ways. Plus this warlock's subclass is celestial and no one will get upset if the healer is really good :)

Rulings without rules.

But seriously, in practice at our table it's declare all targets & intentions at time of casting before resolving the spell effects. So it's all rolled & treated as simultaneous except when the push/pull effect matters. That's mostly popping something to offset disadvantage when casting EB in melee, because those generally only work on one attack but it won't matter if the first shot hits, or when pushing the target out of sight (fog & wall spells & long range darkness). Then it's just annoying to go back for more rolling when dis/advantage changes.

There are two situations where it has come up and mattered at our table. Typically everything is declared and rolled in one fell swoop to speed combat along faster.

A push situation to avoid disadvantage or shove someone into the Pyro Wizards Wall of fire
An enemy is at low hit points. Typically the DM just says for the player to roll them one at a time when the target is close to dead.

greenstone
2022-06-15, 09:36 PM
If you have Extra Attack or Multi Attack, you determine targets at the time of each attack not all at the start of the Action.

Since Eldritch Blast doesn't say "simultaneously" (like magic missile does), I figure the same applies.

I also apply this to the various ray spells.

Witty Username
2022-06-15, 09:52 PM
When I DM the blasts are resolved sequentially or simultaneously, at player's discretion. As a player, I decide my targets and roll simultaneously because I value speed of play over the slight tactical advantage it might give me. I have not found either way to be a problem from a RAW or balance standpoint.

ecarden
2022-06-15, 09:54 PM
I agree with what appears to be the consensus. The one that tripped me up on my first warlock was not moving between the attacks the way an archer/melee fighter could. I'm not actually sure that's RAW, or just something I came up with because it felt wrong.

Keravath
2022-06-16, 10:07 AM
I agree with what appears to be the consensus. The one that tripped me up on my first warlock was not moving between the attacks the way an archer/melee fighter could. I'm not actually sure that's RAW, or just something I came up with because it felt wrong.

I think that is correct. EB is an instantaneous spell so it is cast at one time. Each beam is targeted and resolved in order but they all need to be resolved before the character can do anything else - it isn't the same as extra attack where you can move between each attack.

MisterD
2022-06-16, 11:17 AM
The cantrip is ONE SPELL. You either pick all targets then attack or pick a target and roll for attack then pick a second target then roll for attack. After the cantrip is resolved you may then use any unused bonus or movement you have.

Just my 2 copper pieces.

greenstone
2022-06-16, 06:11 PM
The one that tripped me up on my first warlock was not moving between the attacks the way an archer/melee fighter could. I'm not actually sure that's RAW, or just something I came up with because it felt wrong.

Moving between spell blasts leads to questions about feature like counterspell.

For example, Warlock Wallace casts eldritch blast and sends a bolt at a foe then moves around a corner to send a bolt at a different foe. What happens if someone counterspells eldritch blast at that point? Do you have to then go back and "undo" the first attack? It's a lot of work at a table to remember what happened and roll it all back.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-06-16, 06:22 PM

For example, Warlock Wallace casts eldritch blast and sends a bolt at a foe then moves around a corner to send a bolt at a different foe. What happens if someone counterspells eldritch blast at that point? Do you have to then go back and "undo" the first attack? It's a lot of work at a table to remember what happened and roll it all back.

I'd say that the spell was cast before the first bolt happened. So no later counterspells.

RSP
2022-06-16, 09:21 PM

There’s a difference between the casting of a spell and that spell’s effect. As soon as you have an effect, the casting is completed. Or, put another way: the effect cannot occur until the casting is complete.

You cannot Counterspell the second attack of an EB anymore than you can Counterspell the second round of Haste.