PDA

View Full Version : Optimization If and when to take Resilient: Wisdom for this Character

Fawsto
2022-06-14, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone! I'd like to ask for some advice in the matter of 'if' and 'when' to take the feat Resilient: Wisdom with this particular character.

In my current campaign I am playing a High Elf EK 8, with plans to multiclass into Blade Singer for extra versatility on spells and the extra defenses from Bladesong. I will try to get to level 6 in BS to try the sinergy between War Magic and BS Extra Attacks that I already checked with my DM, and it will work as intended.

Right now at level 8 the stats are, in order: 12; 20; 15; 14; 13; 12. I've taken a +2 to dex, Mobile and Warcaster as my ASI's. My character operates as a skirmisher with hit and run tactics and generally trying his best to give enemies some bad options in combat while being a hard target himself (high dex, bladesong, Shield, etc...). The stats were rolled, that's why I ended with a 15 Con, because I wasn't confortable with a 13 on it.

With Con Save proficiency, Warcaster and Bladesong, my character will be very good at keeping concentration of his spells, so my spell selection is gravitating towards Concentration spells. As an EK, Shield and Absorb Elements are selected and as soon as I can get it, so will be Counterspell.

Other defensive spells that I am putting thought into are Blur, Protection from Good and Evil and Intellect Fortress.

Initially I was thinking on going full Intelligence with my next ASIs, to get it as close to 20 as possible, increasing AC via Bladesong, Spell DCs and Concentration, also via Bladesong, but then I started considering using one of the ASIs to get Resilient.

I don't think this campaign will stretch towards lvl 20, so I assume 2 more ASIs (at char lvl 12 and 16), which means getting either 18 Int or 16 Int and Resilient. If we make it to lvl 20, then getting both the 18 and Resilient becomes a late possibility. I am also not assuming any specific magic items, like Headband of Intellect or an Ioun Stone (but any advice on Magic Items are welcome too).

The thing is: I can't decide what to do first. Heck, I don't know if getting Resilient: Wisdom is a particularly good move. I'd really appreciate some input on this matter. Would it be better to increase Int sooner for a better output from Bladesong? Or the extra defenses from Resilient: Wisdom are better earlier? Getting Resilient is even a good move?

While I tagged it as Optimization, I am not terribly interested in optimizing this character to the maximum. Just enough to make it mechanically sound.

Thanks in advance, people!