PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Adventuring in a Wild Magic zone

follacchioso
2022-06-15, 10:59 AM
I would like to create an adventure in a land plagued by Wild Magic, where unpredictable surges can alter the landscape suddenly, and magic is unreliable and can lead to undesired effects.

The players will be aware of the challenge, and they will be able to create characters that have better chances of survival in these conditions. In a sense, this may be a setting optimised for martial characters, as those are less at risk of triggering random surges. This is not a bad thing, because magic in D&D can be a little too much sometimes, and there are very few campaigns where barbarians, fighters, monks and rogues excel.

My plan is to introduce the zones of Wild Magic slowly, and have many safe areas where magic works as normal or has minimal chances of triggering surges. If the characters feel brave they can adventure in more dangerous zones, where better rewards can be found. Wild Magic surges will have a chance to trigger every time a character casts a spell, and will roll the dice on the Wild Magic Sorcerer's table; I may allow an Arcana check to avoid the effects, to make it less frustrating.

Does anyone have experience with settings like this? As a player, would you be play in it?

I also wonder which types of creatures would live in such areas. I am looking at the list of aberrations, and slaads may be good candidates; but the monsters manual is so big and there are many options.

Amnestic
2022-06-15, 02:41 PM
Though not everything is appropriate, you may want to consider taking some ideas from this list of Mournland Horrors (https://www.enworld.org/threads/1001-mournland-horrors.469182/) for some strange wild magic events.