PDA

View Full Version : DM Help need help creating bad guys for an encounter

Thac0 Redeye
2022-06-15, 06:53 PM
Hello all,
My party consists of a cleric, wizard and 2 barbarians all of 12 level. They are currently traveling through the underdark. I want to have an encounter with a band of rogues and one wizard. probably 8-9 of 6-7th level. I'd like the rogues to spring attack. Half will attack normally but the other half will spring in and disarm taking weapons/shields away from the party. the wizard will be area control.

I need suggestions on what a good race would be for these bandits. Also what feats would be needed or advantageous for them.

A second question, when they try to disarm and take the barbarians "animated shield" what modifiers would be used? Would he still get to use his str mod or would he use int or wis vs. the rogues str mod?

Doctor Despair
2022-06-15, 07:03 PM
Hello all,
My party consists of a cleric, wizard and 2 barbarians all of 12 level. They are currently traveling through the underdark. I want to have an encounter with a band of rogues and one wizard. probably 8-9 of 6-7th level. I'd like the rogues to spring attack. Half will attack normally but the other half will spring in and disarm taking weapons/shields away from the party. the wizard will be area control.

I need suggestions on what a good race would be for these bandits. Also what feats would be needed or advantageous for them.

A second question, when they try to disarm and take the barbarians "animated shield" what modifiers would be used? Would he still get to use his str mod or would he use int or wis vs. the rogues str mod?

For the wizard and rogues, make them drow. Toss in one beatstick with mineral warrior next to the wizard to soak up some damage/attention.

Give the rogues Blend Into Shadows to hide in plain sight as a part of their spring attack.

Fero
2022-06-15, 07:25 PM
Random ideas follow:

A party of LG humans from a different language/culture who have been beset by the horrors of the underdark and consider the party to be evil monsters.

Cannibal Duergar.

Mutated eyeless beholder.

Any race if Illithid thrall.

Halflings with the Dark template from ToM (they can likely hide as part of their spring attack action due to obscene hide bonuses).

Strangely sophisticated trolls with Reach disarming weapons.

Sahaguin (add water hazards).

Awakened rust monsters.

Thac0 Redeye
2022-06-15, 08:06 PM
What book is ToM?

What about the animated shield question?

Fero
2022-06-15, 08:19 PM
What book is ToM?

What about the animated shield question?

Tome of Magic. Look under the shadow magic section (the middle section).

As for the shield, I think it is DMs call (community correct me if I am wrong). I think strict RAW it would be strength. However, that makes no sense because the shield. is not holding the shield. If I were DM I would assign the shield a reasonable high strength. Alternatively, I may rule that disarming the shield merely disables it for a few rounds as it flies back to the barbarian.

Gorthawar
2022-06-16, 07:30 AM
For the wizard and rogues, make them drow. Toss in one beatstick with mineral warrior next to the wizard to soak up some damage/attention.

Give the rogues Blend Into Shadows to hide in plain sight as a part of their spring attack.

I've build some spring attacking Drow Swordsage2/Fighter6 (hit and run fighter ACF)for an upcoming encounter for my party. Feats chosen are dodge, mobility, spring attack, weapon finesse, shadow blade, blend into shadows and shi'quos school.

Using the dance of the spider stance they should always have the upper ground and force a reflex save vs dropping prone after hitting as part of a spring attack. Then they can disappear using blend into the shadows after. I'm also allowing the use of a martial strike as part of a spring attack but I don't believe that's RAW.

Last but not least they get 2x Dex to damage against flatfooted opponents.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-06-16, 08:31 AM
What kind of optimization level are we looking for here?
"The cleric heals and the wizard throws fireballs" or "DMM:Persist and Incantatrix with two uberchargers for damage"?

As for the shield question, RAW an animated shield does nothing except free up your hands. Otherwise it's treated as if it's wielded normally.

It should also be noted that rogues are terrible at disarming since it's an opposed attack roll that gets a penalty for using a light weapon.
A rogue will be unlikely to accomplish anything with it against a barbarian five levels higher than he is.

AnonJr
2022-06-16, 06:42 PM
Have fun - make a deceptively competent and upscale band of Kobold. Tucker style. (well ... maybe not *that* competent)

A few Swift Hunters, Sorcerer instead of Wizard since that's more the Kobold flavour, a few Ninjas just for the hell of it?

Need to step away for a bit, I'll think over something more well developed.