PDA

View Full Version : Does an Artificer's "Enhanced Defense" armor resize?

sambojin
2022-06-16, 09:41 PM
Pretty simply question. Most magic armor resizes. But does this infusion grant that?

Mostly looking at it from a Moon/Druid's perspective. While the classes themselves seem opposed (tech vs nature), it'd be interesting to weave narratively into the Circles. Where do they get their armour from? Are there "nature" Artificers? And really, would it be armor, or barding, that you'd want to infuse with this?

From a character perspective, it makes it an interesting 2lvl dip. It's a pity there's no "make a magically resizing magic saddle" infusion too. Though, robes of "free Concentration check" works pretty well too.

OldTrees1
2022-06-16, 10:20 PM
Ask your GM, but I would rule that it does resize.

Ortho
2022-06-17, 04:00 AM
Pretty simply question. Most magic armor resizes. But does this infusion grant that?

Yep. Judging by the DMG, pg 140:

In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they magically adjust themselves to the wearer. Rare exceptions exist.

And infusions are pretty explicit that they're a magic item. So, barring a deliberate choice on the part of the artificer, I can't think of a reason why the infusion wouldn't follow the general rule.

Psyren
2022-06-20, 03:20 AM
While the classes themselves seem opposed (tech vs nature), it'd be interesting to weave narratively into the Circles. Where do they get their armour from? Are there "nature" Artificers?

Artificers don't have to be "tech." They can create magic from any set of artisan's tools. If you want to stick with nature-adjacent ones, I'd consider woodcarving, leatherworking, brewing and alchemy to all be focused on manipulating magic from raw flora and fauna. Alternatively, you can go for more generically magic tools like calligrapher's tools (draw sigils on your gear), jeweler's tools (carve and polish tiny crystals), potter's/glassblower's tools (store magic in jars/ampoules) or even mason's tools (carving runes into tablets and plaques.) All of those forms of artifice should be plenty compatible with "nature magic."

Anymage
2022-06-20, 04:39 AM
I don't see any reason why infused armor wouldn't resize. It's a very niche case in the case of looting infused items, but an option nonetheless.

As far as items reshaping as well as resizing - relevant for a wild shaping druid - that seems to rest a lot more on the DM's interpretation of whether or not the animal form can wear a piece of equipment in general. Druids can make druid items even if there isn't a friendly artificer around, so they should have options available. Still, DM's are advised to be very wary here. Your bear wearing enchanted hide armor seems like a minimal headache (since barding overlaps natural armor instead of stacking like it did in 3.5), but a wild shaped bird holding a shrunk but still effective Wand of Fireballs sounds like a lot more hassle.