PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "Action Cards" for a kid

Damon_Tor
2022-06-17, 01:43 PM
Starting a game with my kids. My oldest is a strong reader and will be DMing (at last, I grew a DM for myself!) while my youngest will probably just be answering simple yes or no questions as to what they would like their (very simple) character to do while tossing dice around. For my middle child, I would like her to engage with the game more, but her reading skills aren't there at all and her math is very basic.

To this end, I would like to find "Action Cards" for her, representing the things she is likely to want to do in combat. They should be visual: a picture of a character doing that thing, with visual depictions of the dice she should roll. Color coding to differentiate "actions" "movements" and "bonus actions" would be ideal (ie "you can do one of each color on your turn") Movements and ranges should show a visual depiction of the number of squares she should count.

I'm happy to make these cards myself and expect to do so, but if someone has already come up with such a thing I'd love it if I could just download something that gets me 90% of what I'm looking for and fill in the missing 10% myself.

meandean
2022-06-17, 02:49 PM
I don't know of this existing, but it'd be a great (and potentially profitable) thing if it did!

Damon_Tor
2022-06-17, 03:48 PM
Real quick mockup of a sample card.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgcjEDd5D5jobtvGYEBJptyxYN152ryS/view?usp=sharing
The border is green, which means it's an action. Movement would be yellow. Bonus actions would be blue. I'll be making some cards which are multiple colors: for example, "Take Aim" will be both blue and yellow. An attack with two shortswords will be both green and blue. The rule is "only one card of each color per turn". Some cards will be available in multiple colors: movement can be green, yellow or blue, for example, because she could dash as an action or as a bonus action because she's a rogue.

JNAProductions
2022-06-17, 03:53 PM
Real quick mockup of a sample card.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgcjEDd5D5jobtvGYEBJptyxYN152ryS/view?usp=sharing
The border is green, which means it's an action. Movement would be yellow. Bonus actions would be blue. I'll be making some cards which are multiple colors: for example, "Take Aim" will be both blue and yellow. An attack with two shortswords will be both green and blue. The rule is "only one card of each color per turn". Some cards will be available in multiple colors: movement can be green, yellow or blue, for example, because she could dash as an action or as a bonus action because she's a rogue.

One issue I notice-you have 2d20 there. How do you indicate that it's 2d20b1+6, and not 2d20+6?

However, I love this idea! I hope it goes great. :)

Damon_Tor
2022-06-17, 04:00 PM
One issue I notice-you have 2d20 there. How do you indicate that it's 2d20b1+6, and not 2d20+6?

She'll learn a General rule that d20s are never added together, while the other dice (usually) are. If you have kids who read a smidge adding an "OR" between the d20s and an "AND" between the d6s could differentiate. She doesn't really read at all though, so that would just be confusing extra symbols to her. (she knows all her numbers 1-20 though).