PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A disarm (not a weapon) rules

Thac0 Redeye
2022-06-17, 08:10 PM
i'm confused on the rules for disarm. I'm mainly concerned with how to deal with disarming things like shields, (especially animated shields), or wands from the wizard etc. I would think it should be an opposed str check not an opposed attack roll.

thanks

ericgrau
2022-06-18, 03:22 PM
It's an attack roll and wielders of items get a -4. Since shields are strapped to the person's arm, I would think that would count as well secured and can't be disarmed except during a grapple and pin. Even then the owner of a well secured item gets a +4. If you want to have the item in your hand and not the floor, you must disarm using an unarmed strike which is a light weapon and therefore gives you a -4. It also provokes an attack of opportunity unless you have improved unarmed strike. Two handed weapons get a +4.

It also provokes an attack of opportunity without the feat. But if the opponent is wielding only a wand for example, that's not an issue. Players without the feat should really disarm items much more often, especially since most don't want to take such a niche feat, but 3.5 is confusing.

That's the rules. As for opinions on being it something else be careful because it's already super niche as it is and you don't want to make it totally useless. Plus it makes plenty of sense to be able to disarm with an attack such as hitting a wrist or twisting an arm. And/or with a finesse weapon. Real combatants use a lot more skill than simply grabbing an item and wrestling it away.