PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario RPG

Demon Messiah
2007-11-26, 10:41 PM
A game that I loved and thought deserved more attention. It was a great SNES turned based RPG with the works; spells, weapons, armor, XP, recurring bosses, etc. I'm fairly certain it came out pretty close to when Chrono Trigger was released, which could very well have overshadowed it. (Rightly so, in my opinion. But not by a whole lot, and that is for another time.)

I mean, Bowser had a weapon that allowed him to THROW Mario at the enemy! And Geno! Geno was awesome!
Mallow...not so much.
And ye gods, the Axem Rangers!

Has anyone else played this, the spiritual precursor to the Paper Mario series?

Sneak
2007-11-26, 10:44 PM
Yes! This game was awesome!

It had some really funny moments, too. I can't remember much of it, but I remember that this game was tons of fun. And it didn't feel weird, either. They managed to make the game feel like an RPG, but still feel natural and still feel like...a Mario game.

Icewalker
2007-11-26, 10:50 PM
Geno wins. He just does.

I still like how he picked it instead of the other dolls because it looked more powerful :smallbiggrin:

I should pick it up again...

Superglucose
2007-11-26, 10:58 PM
I wanted Geno in SSB :smallannoyed:

I actually think Legend of hte Seven Stars is BETTER than Chrono Trigger. It just doesn't get attention because it's not 'serious' and concentrates on humor. Sickening really, same gameplay, funnier and more enjoyable plot, as well as familier characters.

Demon Messiah
2007-11-26, 10:58 PM
I'm fighting the urge to boot up the Super Nintendo because I know it's coming to Virtual Console soon, and I don't want to have to spoil it.

As a kid, Belome (cat thing in the sewers) scarred me to death.

"Wait, I'm a scarecrow! I can't attack! OH GOD HE ATE MALLOW!!!"

Khosan
2007-11-26, 11:10 PM
It's supposed to be coming out on the Wii Virtual Console some time this year.

My brother and I have been watching for it.

Icewalker
2007-11-26, 11:12 PM
Sweet, I should get it. Good times.

Demon Messiah
2007-11-26, 11:17 PM
Apparently Geno is one of the more requested characters for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm fairly certain he was in the top three or four...

Icewalker
2007-11-26, 11:34 PM
Apparently Geno is one of the more requested characters for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm fairly certain he was in the top three or four...

Honestly, I don't believe that, sorry. While totally awesome, he is a pretty obscure character.

I'd totally play him though. Maybe he'll end up as an assist trophy.

Superglucose
2007-11-26, 11:51 PM

I don't believe it. If he WAS, they'd put him in.

Saint George
2007-11-27, 12:23 AM
Could it be possible that Square has their dirty little claws in Geno and don't want to let him go?

This is just a random theory. I could be entirely wrong. Infact, I most likely am. :smalleek:

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-27, 05:49 AM
I've never played this game, but if it's anything like the Mario RPGs I have played (Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time), I'll probably enjoy it.

Reinboom
2007-11-28, 01:10 AM
I don't believe it. If he WAS, they'd put him in.

I don't think they can... I'm unsure if Geno is a Nintendo character or Square character... or both.
They may need to get permission.......

I'm personally not a fan of Geno.

I need to play through this game again, if only I could find it again :smallsigh:

Superglucose
2007-11-28, 01:21 AM
I've never played this game, but if it's anything like the Mario RPGs I have played (Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time), I'll probably enjoy it.

Nothing like them. It's actually funny, actually interesting, and actually good :smallwink:

Yeah, I haven't played those RPGs, but I did play the origional Paper Mario, and it TRIED to be like Mario RPG but utterly failed.

DarkLightDragon
2007-11-28, 01:25 AM
I have this on my Xbox. Awesome game, although I haven't played it for ages. From what I remember, I had managed to get through a bunch of pipes and got stuck at a spot where I had to cross a lake on moving platforms.

Reinboom
2007-11-28, 01:28 AM
I have this on my Xbox. Awesome game, although I haven't played it for ages. From what I remember, I had managed to get through a bunch of pipes and got stuck at a spot where I had to cross a lake on moving platforms.

...xbox?
You're emulating it?

DoomsdayBadger
2007-11-28, 01:39 AM
I don't think they can... I'm unsure if Geno is a Nintendo character or Square character... or both.
They may need to get permission.......

He's a property of square, sorry to say.

But I second the sentiments of geno themed lovin'. Even though he wasn't the best character I still used to use him anyway. He gets way overshadowed by bowser late game... oh well.

Superglucose
2007-11-28, 02:36 AM
He's a property of square, sorry to say.

I really really doubt this is the real reason Geno isn't in SSB. Nintendo doesn't own Solid Snake. Nintendo doesn't own Sonic the Hedgehog. You think Square is going to try and make some game based around Geno, or they have a good, monetary reason not to let Geno appear in that game?

Nintendo didn't ask.

Developers have been BEGGING for their characters to get put in these games.

Geno, a household name of old Square fans (worst thing that company ever did was add 'enix' to their name) is a throwback nintendo character, and an old favorite of anyone that nintendo tried to reach with Paper Mario.

And he does NOT get overshadowed by bowser. I use them both. Geno Whirl is so ridiculously useful...

Granted without the healing I go through a LOT of items.

Cybren
2007-11-28, 02:57 AM
Sega needs the exposure and Hideo Kojima has a man-crush on Miyamoto. And square didn't "add" Enix to their name. Squaresoft was bankrupted by The Spirits Within and merged with Enix. The fact that Square didn't become a subsidiary of Enix is amazing.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-28, 12:20 PM
Nothing like them. It's actually funny, actually interesting, and actually good :smallwink:

Yeah, I haven't played those RPGs, but I did play the origional Paper Mario, and it TRIED to be like Mario RPG but utterly failed.

Play a game that I've played before you tell me it sucks, kthanx.

DarkLightDragon
2007-11-28, 09:19 PM
...xbox?
You're emulating it? Yep. My Xbox has lots of emulated stuff on it.

Icewalker
2007-11-28, 09:50 PM
Yeah, it is a long game.

I emulated it too, off my computer. Although, to justify it, I'm definitely buying it off the virtual console once I can.

Superglucose
2007-11-29, 10:41 PM
Play a game that I've played before you tell me it sucks, kthanx.

I was joking. Calm down.

Fanatic support for Mario RPG right here.

Trust me, you'll absolutely love it, and I misread you the first time I said it. Thought you said the origional paper mario which pissed me off, because I was looking for a sequal to Legend of the Seven Stars.

IMO, this is the game that makes Chrono Trigger look like a merely good rpg.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-29, 10:56 PM
I played this game. One of the best ever...........

............ then I had to start emulating it after I couldn't find my cartridge >.<

Mario RPG's are usually good. I played this one, Paper Mario 1, 2 & 3, and Mario and Luigi (the first one).

...........Mario ROX!

FoE
2007-11-29, 10:58 PM
Me? I loved it! Got my ass kicked by those damn Axem Rangers, and don't get me started on how hard it was to get past that one scary-looking dude, the one who would create illusions of himself...

I liked Mallow, but my favourite character was Bowser. That was awesome, having him fight on the same side as Mario rather than having them square off for the thousandth time...

Icewalker
2007-11-29, 11:02 PM
Yeah, good times.

Started it up again now. That damn croc at the beginning throws 30 damage bombs. At 35 hp Mario! crap!

One thing I had forgotten about which is really great is the mechanic where if the party dies and you get game over when it reloads it keeps any experience you earned, so it isn't worthless.

DarkLightDragon
2007-11-30, 03:20 AM
Yeah, good times.

Started it up again now. That damn croc at the beginning throws 30 damage bombs. At 35 hp Mario! crap!

One thing I had forgotten about which is really great is the mechanic where if the party dies and you get game over when it reloads it keeps any experience you earned, so it isn't worthless. The croc thing gets pretty annoying, but I got through it by spamming Mario's fireball ability with the help of replenishing items (I'm pretty sure I had to use items). And I think the guy with Mario (thinks he's a frog but isn't? can't remember...) had a healing ability. Whatever it was, it had something to do with HP.

Does anyone remember how to get past the moving platform part? I may boot up the game sometime and get a better description if needed. Its been a very long time since I last played.

JadedDM
2007-11-30, 09:40 AM
One thing I had forgotten about which is really great is the mechanic where if the party dies and you get game over when it reloads it keeps any experience you earned, so it isn't worthless.

Actually, a number of old school RPGs were like that. Usually dying only lost you half of your gold, not any XP. And some (I recall Breath of Fire, for instance) had banks, so you could stick your gold in there and not lose it upon dying.

Sir Enigma
2007-12-01, 07:37 AM
The croc thing gets pretty annoying, but I got through it by spamming Mario's fireball ability with the help of replenishing items (I'm pretty sure I had to use items). And I think the guy with Mario (thinks he's a frog but isn't? can't remember...) had a healing ability. Whatever it was, it had something to do with HP.

Does anyone remember how to get past the moving platform part? I may boot up the game sometime and get a better description if needed. Its been a very long time since I last played.

Don't bother with the fireball ability, Jump is actually better - it powers up the more you use it. Use that against Croco (go use it on some enemies and maybe gain a level if you need to) and have Mallow do some healing and you should get through it.

Which moving platform bit do you mean? If it's the one in the Rose Way, jus keep in mind that some of the platforms go to more than two locations; try to make your way to the upper-right, go through the exit and loop around, then take the new platforms to the lower left and out you go. I don't remember the exact order although I could go back and find it.

Cynan Machae
2007-12-11, 09:59 PM
Honestly, I don't believe that, sorry. While totally awesome, he is a pretty obscure character.

I'd totally play him though. Maybe he'll end up as an assist trophy.
Actually, Geno has a pretty good chance of being in Brawl. As Demon Messiah said, Sakurai (the guy who is making the game) made a poll some while ago, and Geno was thr fourth more requested character. Here's the lsit of all those who got more than one recommendation:

King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED!
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Source: Smash Boards (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71872)

I don't understand why people are saying he's no in the game... the game is to come out in february! There's like 23 characters revealed yet and there about 40 to be expected. Geno has a pretty good chance.

And Geno isn't Third Party. More like something called 2nd and a half. But yea his rights are owned by Square-Enix. Read that:
http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/

But yea, go Geno! :smallsmile: He's awesome and so was SMRPG.

LiteYear
2007-12-11, 10:48 PM
Don't bother with the fireball ability, Jump is actually better - it powers up the more you use it. Use that against Croco (go use it on some enemies and maybe gain a level if you need to) and have Mallow do some healing and you should get through it.

For the Jump part, are you talking about this single battle or the whole game? Because I don't think I've ever seen or heard that Jump will power up based on the more use it.

Sir Enigma
2007-12-11, 11:05 PM
For the Jump part, are you talking about this single battle or the whole game? Because I don't think I've ever seen or heard that Jump will power up based on the more use it.

It's over the whole game - if you've used it 100 times since the beginning of the game, it's effectively +50 magic power; it gets really effective if you keep using it, since I think it peaks at 255 jumps. Source is here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/588739/30935), and I've tried this out myself and it does work.

tyckspoon
2007-12-11, 11:50 PM
It's over the whole game - if you've used it 100 times since the beginning of the game, it's effectively +50 magic power; it gets really effective if you keep using it, since I think it peaks at 255 jumps. Source is here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/588739/30935), and I've tried this out myself and it does work.

[incorrect response eluded here]
.. how about that Super Mario! Awesome game.

Volug
2007-12-14, 01:23 PM
Culex, hard.

I used a whole bunch or Red Essence to beat him. He was still HARD.

I have everything... Secrets, the star egg, lazy shell, everything:smallbiggrin:

I love that game, I was just playing it yesterday in fact...

Querzis
2007-12-18, 09:35 AM
I'm surprised nobody posted this yet:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/382576

Anyway, my favorite character was Bowser pretty much just because it was the first time he was on Mario side and that was funny. I dont think Geno was really that cool but since he was the only character who wasnt a comic relief in that game, I guess it made him look much more badass.