PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Divine Metamagic Feat (PEACH)

Jervis
2022-06-17, 11:48 PM
Divine Metamagic
Prerequisite: Channel Divinity Feature

Your connection to your god allows you to cast spells with spontaneous modifications. Choose one metamagic option from the sorcerer class. When you reach a level which grants you an ability score increase you can change this metamagic option to another one from the sorcerer class. When you cast a cleric or Paladin spell, you can spend a use of your channel divinity to cast that spell with the metamagic option you choose applied without using sorcery points. You must otherwise follow all rules of metamagic including the rules of that metamagic option.

Yeah I really don't like the metamagic adept feat as it's presented in this edition, and this feat runs into a issue I have with it. I'll get into that in the FAQ. I just felt like making this because a quick search told me that it did not yet exist here, if it does then feel free to yell at me.

Isn't this a direct upgrade on Metamagic Adept?
Not quite. It's one metamagic instead of 2 and locked to cleric. Beyond that it is very good, i will admit. It wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the fact that it's based on popular thing from 3.5. I also hate metamagic adept because of some metamagic core design problems i have with 5E but thats for elsewhere.

Whats your problem with metamagic adept?
WotC made sorcerers a worse version of wizards in almost every way with metamagic being the thing thats suppose to make them stand out. Metamagic as a whole does not make up for wizards getting double the arsenal, a much bigger spell list, and being able to swap out spells every day. And then they just made a feat that lets you take the best option you want from them as a wizard and cast it 1-2 times for free. This point has been drilled into the ground but i eventually got to the point that my opinion flipped. The problem isn't that wizards can get metamagic, its that metamagic is all they gave sorcerers. Sorcerers need another thing to identify them, ideally go back to the massively subclass dependent early playtest that let them get other things than spells and metamagic to spend points on. I would personally make metamagic the caster equivalent to fighting styles. Every class has a different list of what's available with sorcerers having more options, similar to fighter vs paladin and ranger. Presumable they would also have other ways to pay for them with clerics spending CD uses (so domains with situational CDs have something to use them on outside of undead encounters) and wizards having to upcast to apply them. But thats design space for another day.

Is something being popular thing from 3.5 a good reason to adapt it?
Debatable, but almost definitely not. However, this stops me from staring blankly into the void for about 30 minutes. Currently working on a Incantrix inspired sorcerer RN.

Kane0
2022-06-18, 01:57 AM
Yeah, seems fine on first eyeball. Is a nice use of your channel for the less great channel options like ancients pally and forge cleric

Edit: this is one of the rare times im tempted to say it should be a half feat, since its only one metamagic option and it is tied to an existing resource rather than giving you any.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-18, 02:29 AM
This is rad. Case closed

Yuki Akuma
2022-06-18, 04:21 AM
Given Channel Divinity comes back on a short rest, while Sorcery Points don't, you could theoretically use this feat to use more metamagic in a day than a Sorcerer could.

Perhaps change it to a number of times per day equal to your proficiency bonus? If you do that I'd say making it bump Wisdom or Charisma up by 1 would be fairly balanced.

Jervis
2022-06-18, 10:30 AM
Yeah, seems fine on first eyeball. Is a nice use of your channel for the less great channel options like ancients pally and forge cleric

Edit: this is one of the rare times im tempted to say it should be a half feat, since its only one metamagic option and it is tied to an existing resource rather than giving you any.

This is rad. Case closed

Wow I was not expecting a lot of positive reception. Thanks!

Given Channel Divinity comes back on a short rest, while Sorcery Points don't, you could theoretically use this feat to use more metamagic in a day than a Sorcerer could.

Perhaps change it to a number of times per day equal to your proficiency bonus? If you do that I'd say making it bump Wisdom or Charisma up by 1 would be fairly balanced.

That’s a fair point. The balancing logic was that harness divine powers values CD as roughly a 1-2 level spell slot depending on level so it would pay every metamagic but Heighten and Twin on a rough conversion. Limiting it to Prof times per day and making it a half feat would probably be a good balance point. Thanks for the feedback!