PDA

View Full Version : Lucky / Silvery Barbs / Cutting Words / Counterspe Reaction interaction and strategy

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-06-18, 12:20 AM
I'm dusting off a Lore Bard character for a Level 15 adventure and just realized I get Silvery barbs, Lucky and Cutting Words to play with. I am concerned the "must use the lower roll" line from Silvery Barbs may rule out using Lucky afterwards. Is there clarification on that?

For a general strategy on when to use each I'm thinking:

-Silvery Barbs and Cutting Words are both reactions so its one or the other in the same round.

-If the enemy spellcaster hasn't gone be more stingy and maybe use Lucky as my Reaction is probably more useful for Counterspell.

-Assuming the bad guys can hear me and aren't immune to being charmed, burn my first four uses of Cutting Words first, especially if others are in danger of being hit by anything remotely dangerous. If something goes terribly wrong protecting myself use Lucky.

-When things seem serious or after my first four uses of Cutting Words are used burn off some low level slots with Silvery Barbs since it is about as powerful as L15 Cutting Words AND gives advantage to one of my party members who actually makes attack rolls. I PROBABLY will be able to use Lucky as a back up but there is fine wording there with Silvery Barbs being activate when a target would be hit and Lucky before the outcome is determined, though that PROBABLY should be before the outcome of the Silvery Barbs reroll is determined.

-Lucky can also be used as the "second reaction" if by the third time I "Cutting Barbs" the DM all the bad guys decide to attack my character.

-Lucky can also be used for my Counterspell rolls. I better save my luck points.

-If I every thought of taking Hellish Rebuke with any Magical Secrets, forget it lol. My reactions are taken!

-Magic Initiate previously seemed slightly thematic for a Lore Bard to steal more spells but if Shield was going to be one of them, I dunno. Silvery Barbs seems better unless I'm likely to be attacked more than once.

-I better have some smart remarks ready!

Am I on the right path?

Silvery Barbs
1st-level enchantment

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when a creature you can see within 60 feet of yourself succeeds on an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw

Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
You magically distract the triggering creature and turn its momentary uncertainty into encouragement for another creature. The triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower roll.

You can then choose a different creature you can see within range (you can choose yourself). The chosen creature has advantage on the next attack roll, ability check, or saving throw it makes within one minute. A creature can be empowered by only one use of this spell at a time.

Lucky
You have inexplicable luck that seems to kick in at just the right moment.

You have 3 luck points. Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
You can also spend one luck point when an attack roll is made against you. Roll a d20, and then choose whether the attack uses the attacker’s roll or yours. If more than one creature spends a luck point to influence the outcome of a roll, the points cancel each other out; no additional dice are rolled.
You regain your expended luck points when you finish a long rest.

Cutting Words
Also at 3rd Level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others. When a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an Attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your Reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature’s roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the GM determines whether the Attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage. The creature is immune if it can’t hear you or if it’s immune to being Charmed.

JackPhoenix
2022-06-18, 07:26 AM
Both Lucky and Cutting Words need to be used before Silvery Barbs. Silvery Barbs's reaction is triggered when the target succeeding on the roll, both Lucky and Cutting Words have to be used BEFORE you know the result of the roll.

Skrum
2022-06-18, 07:37 AM
Both Lucky and Cutting Words need to be used before Silvery Barbs. Silvery Barbs's reaction is triggered when the target succeeding on the roll, both Lucky and Cutting Words have to be used BEFORE you know the result of the roll.

I always thought that was kind of weird language - like the game is assuming there's a large, slow computer the dice roll has to be entered in so the result can be calculated. If I roll a 3 I know instantly that's a failure! If an attacker rolls a crit I know they hit! In practice, lucky is going to be declared at the exact same time as barbs, words, etc.

Anyway, to the OP: I have exactly this character. A halfling, in fact, for the free rerolls on 1's. My only recommendation is I generally think your bardic inspirations are better spent inspiring your allies. It doesn't take your reaction and they can hold it until it's very likely to matter. You have plenty of ways to make people miss. Adding some ways to help your allies hit is really good (since you're not going to be doing a lot of hitting yourself).

JackPhoenix
2022-06-18, 10:13 AM
I always thought that was kind of weird language - like the game is assuming there's a large, slow computer the dice roll has to be entered in so the result can be calculated. If I roll a 3 I know instantly that's a failure! If an attacker rolls a crit I know they hit! In practice, lucky is going to be declared at the exact same time as barbs, words, etc.

Because the rules don't assume the player has any access to the information other then their sheet and their own dice. You roll a 3, and you may still hit, because the thing you fight is a CR 13 Atropal with the incredible AC of 7. The GM rolls behind a screen, and announces a hit, and you don't know what number was rolled, so you have no idea if you should use (and waste) a Shield, because it was a natural 20 and it's automatic hit no matter what AC, or use Silvery Barbs to force a reroll, with the potential of either negating a crit or achieving nothing and being hit anyway because the original roll was just barely above your AC and the new roll was even better.

meandean
2022-06-18, 01:13 PM
I generally think your bardic inspirations are better spent inspiring your allies. It doesn't take your reaction and they can hold it until it's very likely to matter. You have plenty of ways to make people miss. Adding some ways to help your allies hit is really good (since you're not going to be doing a lot of hitting yourself).This may be true when silvery barbs is an alternative way to try to force an opponent miss. If silvery barbs isn't a spell in your campaign, at least, then I think Cutting Words is usually preferable to Inspiration. The flip side of being able to "hold" the Inspiration is that it's entirely possible that you give it to someone and it never makes sense for them to use it. This isn't possible with Cutting Words. (Of course, that's not to say Cutting Words literally always turns a hit into a miss. But it will never be wasted in the sense that the resource is spent and yet never even results in a roll.) It's also tremendously useful towards helping you and your fellow spellcasters avoid making Concentration checks. And, a point sometimes forgotten: if enough party members get hit by an AOE, Cutting Words can be efficient towards mitigating the damage.

Of course, there are still situations where Inspiration is the better play. e.g., if enemies are immune to charm (obviously). Or, if there's an enemy spellcaster, you may want to reserve your reactions for counterspell. Or, if the enemy has very high AC, the Inspiration may be important towards even hitting at all. But that's what I've generally found.