PDA

View Full Version : Improvised healing belt weapon versus Incorporeal...

animewatcha
2022-06-18, 03:10 AM
We all know how a healing belt costs 750 gp, yada yada. Say we were desperate to hit a ghost or something else incorporeal and improvised. In comes the healing belt being used an improvised weapon that is also technically magical itself while this is magically ridiculous.
Aside from the nonproficiency penalty. Would it be 50% miss chance for normal magic weapon or no miss chance since this is a positive energy item?

-sidenote: Another I noticed from the SRD 'creature that strike as magic weapons'. Would this give the clear for 4th+ level monk to 50% miss chance incorporeal due to ki strike?

Tzardok
2022-06-18, 03:52 AM
We all know how a healing belt costs 750 gp, yada yada. Say we were desperate to hit a ghost or something else incorporeal and improvised. In comes the healing belt being used an improvised weapon that is also technically magical itself while this is magically ridiculous.
Aside from the nonproficiency penalty. Would it be 50% miss chance for normal magic weapon or no miss chance since this is a positive energy item?

I would say no chance to hit at all, as while the belt is magic it's not a magic weapon. The magic in there isn't meant to improve attacks, it's meant to improve healing, so it wouldn't hurt an incorporeal creature.

-sidenote: Another I noticed from the SRD 'creature that strike as magic weapons'. Would this give the clear for 4th+ level monk to 50% miss chance incorporeal due to ki strike?

Yup, I would think so. There are apparantly people on this forum that would say no, on account of RAW only saying "strikes as a magical weapon against damage reduction", but I think it would be logical to treat it as magical in other ways too.

ShurikVch
2022-06-18, 08:28 AM
Note: Positive Energy ignores incorporeality; Healing Belt is created with Cure Moderate Wounds spell; how about it?

sleepyphoenixx
2022-06-19, 03:32 AM
Note: Positive Energy ignores incorporeality;
Source? Because afaik the only things that ignore incorporeal miss chance are force effects and ghost touch weapons.

Even if it does using the Healing Belt as a weapon doesn't utilitze positive energy, so at best you get the 50% miss chance for using a magical weapon.

Crake
2022-06-19, 03:46 AM
Source? Because afaik the only things that ignore incorporeal miss chance are force effects and ghost touch weapons.

Even if it does using the Healing Belt as a weapon doesn't utilitze positive energy, so at best you get the 50% miss chance for using a magical weapon.

its in the incorporeal description in the monster manual glossary:

"Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons)."

Monk's ki strike are only treated as magical with regards to damage reduction, nothing else, so I would say no.

Note: Positive Energy ignores incorporeality; Healing Belt is created with Cure Moderate Wounds spell; how about it?

Slapping someone with the healing belt itself isn't a positive energy effect, and you need to be wearing it to activate it, so you can't somehow slap and activate at the same time, so I'd say hard no.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-06-19, 04:54 AM
its in the incorporeal description in the monster manual glossary:

"Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons)."

Strange that it's not in the other descriptions of incorporeality. You learn something new every day...