PDA

View Full Version : 50,000 Gold to Burn

Crow
2007-11-26, 11:04 PM
My 20th level Gish has 50,000 gold to burn and no body slots left. What are some good items that aren't expendable (use per day is ok though), that will give him some utility?

Preferably just two though...sheet running out of space.

Solo
2007-11-26, 11:06 PM
Ioun stones, scrolls, and wands.

the_tick_rules
2007-11-26, 11:10 PM
i forget the exact name but it's an amulet in exalted deeds. it splits all damage in half between you and the person inflicting it on you. but it only works on all the things that the spell that it emulated does. but it's an awesome amulet.

retributive amulet, i just remembered.

Prometheus
2007-11-26, 11:10 PM
Gold doesn't burn it melts (as do catgirls)

Dode
2007-11-26, 11:14 PM
Eternal Wands. Unlimited use, and the spell doesn't have to be in your spell list for you to use it - as long as you are capable of casting arcane spells, you can use it.

Crow
2007-11-26, 11:15 PM
Eternal Wands. Unlimited use, and the spell doesn't have to be in your spell list for you to use it - as long as you are capable of casting arcane spells, you can use it.

I like that idea...they are in Magic Item Compendium right? I was thinking of stocking up on luck blades...so I can get multiple rerolls per day =)

Does anybody know of any good utility items (foldable boat sorts of things)?

AmberVael
2007-11-26, 11:37 PM
Eternal wands are in the MIC, but they only get 2 charges per day.
Still fun stuff though, for things you don't need to spam, but need to keep handy.
Also a handy item would be those staves in the MIC that you can trade out spell slots to cast certain spells with.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-11-27, 12:21 AM
A portable hole and a bag of holding, both for their individual uses and in the rare situation when you need to make the planar fabrics fall apart (i.e. a surprised party against a Dragon, Balor, or Pit Fiend).

Aquillion
2007-11-27, 01:27 AM
Let's see...

I assume you already have all the obvious stuff (luckstone, containers, orange ioun stone, etc.) Don't forget to get a masterwork tool for every single skill you would ever want to use, ever, granting you a +2 circumstance bonus to all skill checks for a cheap 50 gp each.

You can never have too many pearls of power. You could afford another 6th level one with that cash, which could be very useful depending on the sort of Gish you are.

Ioun Stones are always good. You should, at a bare minimum, already have an orange stone for your CL, plus appropriately-colored ones for any useful stats that you aren't already getting an enchancement bonus in elsewhere, plus possibly a Dusty Rose one if you aren't already getting an insight bonus to AC, and a pale green one if you aren't already getting a competence bonus on the things it grants.

If you don't have one already, Psychoactive Skins (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#psychoactiveSkins) don't take up a traditional body slot. A Skin of the Defender (+4 natural armor bonus for 32,000 gp) certainly can't hurt. Or you can get a Skin of the Chameleon for +10 hide at 18,000 gp, or a Skin of Nimbleness for +10 tumble at 10,000 gp if you're lightly armored enough to make good use of it.

A pair of Boots of Teleportation can be nice when you need a quick jaunt somewhere without you/your wizard wasting spells on it, or if you don't have a proper arcane caster.

A Scabbard of Keen Edges never hurts, if you don't already have something to boost your threat range.

You could also afford two warships, or 5,000 tons of animal feed. Or 50 baleen whales.

MCerberus
2007-11-27, 01:32 AM
50 baleen whales.

I highly recommend that one... but don't get all 50 of them because you'll have to keep money to have your underwater whalemarda trained... think of the silliness.

Chronos
2007-11-27, 02:22 AM
Or you can get a Skin of the Chameleon for +10 hide at 18,000 gpWow, a +10 enhancement bonus to Hide... If that's not a typo, that would stack with almost everything (including Shadow Armor or an Elixir of Hiding, which give competance bonuses).

herrhauptmann
2007-11-27, 02:55 AM
If all your items slots are filled, why not combine enchantments to items. I saw it (I think in DMG or MIC) and last DM allowed it.
Gloves of Dex +2 or Gloves of Missile Snaring.
Why not just get +2 Dexterous gloves of Missile snaring? Cost is the same as +2 dex and Missile Snaring separately.

Look at the chronocharms for ideas. I told my Dm I was going to do that with my loremaster before I ever saw the MIC, and again, single use items you wear on a mundane necklace are pretty useful.

Runestaffs give great versatility at any level.
How about a lesser metamagic rod?

Aquillion
2007-11-27, 04:49 AM
Why not just get +2 Dexterous gloves of Missile snaring? Cost is the same as +2 dex and Missile Snaring separately.This isn't true, at least not by the guidelines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm):

Multiple Different Abilities
Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.Allowing players to simply stack abilities into one body-slot item for the same cost would be extremely broken, since it would make body slots meaningless (you could just stack everything you want into one piece of equipment, without ever having to make any choices as to what you put in each slot.)

Now, if an item doesn't take up a body slot, that's different; then, as it says, it's free at a minimum and can actually reduce the cost if they're similar (since you're really accepting a disadvantage, in that the only effect of combining things into one object there is to make it so they can be stolen / broken / suppressed or whatever as a single target, and can't be split up among the party in a pinch.) But if it takes up a body slot, like gloves, then you play more.