PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Loathing Base Class - The Accordion Thief

mp122984
2007-11-27, 12:18 AM
Hello again. I'm really happy at all the nice comments I've been getting, and now it's time for a new class - The Accordion Thief. I hope you enjoy, (despite the irony that they don't seem to steal much) and feel free to leave any comments you'd like. Anyone interested in seeing and/or commenting on my other work is free to do so by reading my signature. Thank you.

The Accordion Thief

Alignment: Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral, or Chaotic Good

Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills
The Accordion Thief’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Search (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Accordion Thief
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Magical Melody

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Magical Melody

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Magical Melody

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Magical Melody

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Magical Melody

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|

11th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Magical Melody

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8|

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8|Magical Melody

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+9|
+9|

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+9|
+9|Magical Melody

[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Accordion Thief.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Accordion Thief is proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Magical Melody: Once per day per Accordion Thief level, An Accordion Thief can use his song or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). These abilities can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance.

Performing a Magical Melody is a full-round action. Each Magical Melody has a specific Perform DC. A deaf Accordion Thief has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use a Magical Melody. Failure to use a Magical Melody still counts against the daily limit. A Magical Melody lasts one round per Accordion Thief level. A Magical Melody is a Supernatural (Su) ability.

One person may be affected by no more than three Magical Melodies at any one time. Multiple instances of the same Magical Melody on one character do not stack.

On attaining 1st level, and at every two levels thereafter (3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and 15th), an Accordion Thief gains a Magical Melody of his choice from among the following options:

Aloysius’ Antiphon of Aptitude: If the target (either you or an ally within 30 feet) wins a skirmish before this Magical Melody expires, the target gets a 10% bonus to the exp earned. The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is twice your character level.

Brawnee’s Anthem of Absorption: You or an ally within 30 feet gets a circumstance bonus to their DR equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical melody is 20 + twice your Constitution modifier.

Cletus’s Canticle of Celerity: You or an ally within 30 feet gains a circumstance bonus to their Dexterity equal to your Dexterity modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice your Dexterity Modifier.

Dirge of Dreadfulness: Deals 1d6 sonic damage to target creature for each Magical Melody you have. The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 17 + twice the number of Magical Melodies you have. The target may make a Reflex Save (DC equal to the result of the Perform check) to take half damage.

Magical Mojomuscular Melody: You or an ally within 30 feet gains a circumstance bonus to their Intelligence equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice your Intelligence Modifier.

Moxious Madrigal: You or an ally within 30 feet gains a circumstance bonus to their Wisdom equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice your Wisdom Modifier.

Polka of Plenty: You or an ally within 30 feet gets a circumstance bonus to their Search checks equal to the number of ranks you have in the Search skill. The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + the number of ranks you have in the Search skill.

Power Ballad of the Arrowsmith: You or an ally within 30 feet gains a circumstance bonus to their Constitution equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice your Constitution Modifier.

Psalm of Pointiness: You or an ally within 30 feet may make an additional attack of opportunity each round. The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice the target’s highest base attack bonus.

Sonata of Sneakiness: You or an ally within 30 feet gains a circumstance bonus to their Charisma equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice your Charisma Modifier.

Stevedave’s Shanty of Superiority: You or an ally within 30 feet gets a circumstance bonus to all ability scores equal to your lowest ability score modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice your highest ability score modifier.

Symphony of Destruction: You or an ally within 30 feet gains a Circumstance bonus to their Strength equal to your Strength modifier (minimum 0). The Perform DC for this Magical Melody is 15 + twice your Strength Modifier.

Note: Editing made. And to answer Criol's question, all Magical Melodies are names of Accordion Thief skills.

Magnor Criol
2007-11-27, 01:34 AM
See, I may have had comments, but they've all been driven out of my head as it sidetracks down a rather hilarious rabbit-trail involving Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction done on accordion.

Really, though, this seems like a fun class to play. You've balanced it out well, like the other KoL classes you've done, as least as far as I can see (mechanic balancing isn't my forte, admittedly.)

Your ability-boosting melodies may need to be reworded. "You and an ally gain an [abilityX] modifier equal to your [abilityX] modifier." This means, as written, that if Bob the Fighter has a modifier of 5, and Tim the Accordion Thief as a modifier of 3, that when the corresponding Melody is played, Bob the fighter would then have a modifier of 3, not 5 - which is an undesirable effect, not one you'd wish on allies. There would also be no benefit to affecting yourself with the Melody in this case.

Minor things, really. Good work, as with the other two. *thumbs up*

I think it needs to be changed to "...gain an [abilityX] bonus equal to your [abilityX] modifier," I think in order for it to work like I think you were thinking it would. I think.

I don't know if these names are based on ones from KoL itself (having sadly never played KoL) but they don't seem to fit well to me. 'Sneakiness' doesn't make me think of Charisma, for instance.