PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rune Knight in a One Shot that might turn into a campaign

Mud Puppy
2022-06-20, 02:28 PM
As the title indicates, I'm playing a Rune Knight in a one shot this coming Saturday that will very likely be the kickoff of a new campaign.

We're starting at level 5 and I've built a Goliath with 18, 13, 15, 10, 10, 10 in stats (point buy and a +1 feat) and took Crusher at fourth level since I'm wielding a maul.

My question is pretty straight forward, if/when we move into a campaign, should I focus my next ASI on pumping CON to get the save DC for my runes increased or take another feat like GWM, Sentinel or some other feat I haven't considered? I'm not looking to go PAM and a reach weapon because I'm worried about having too many options clogging up my bonus action and reaction.

The DM is open to all available source material. I just need someone more experienced to tell me which way they think I should go in follow on levels... or if I should dump this and just go PAM/Sentinel and a reach weapon because battlefield control is too good to pass up.

If it helps the rest of the party is a Bard/Cleric/Fighter MC, a Ranger, a Monk, an Evoker, and another Fighter.

RogueJK
2022-06-20, 02:41 PM
I'd recommend tweaking your starting racial bonus slightly to begin with:
STR 15+1
DEX 13+1
CON 14+1
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 10

Then take Crusher +1 CON as your Level 4 ASI for 16 CON. This starts you with 16 STR/14 DEX/16 CON instead of 18/13/15, and lets you enjoy the benefit of +1 Initiative, +1 DEX save and skills, +1 CON save, +5 HP, and +1 to Rune DCs right away. (This also allows you to go with Medium Armor instead of Heavy, if so inclined.)

I think you'll enjoy those more than +1 attack/damage for this level, and you already have a source of additional weapon damage baked in with Giant's Might. A 16-17 primary stat is well within normal at Level 5, and you can still plan on going +2 STR for 18 STR next level at 6. Then take either GWM or Sentinel at 8.

Mud Puppy
2022-06-20, 03:34 PM
I'd recommend tweaking your starting racial bonus slightly to begin with:
STR 15+1
DEX 13+1
CON 14+1
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 10

Then take Crusher +1 CON as your Level 4 ASI for 16 CON. This starts you with 16 STR/14 DEX/16 CON instead of 18/13/15, and lets you enjoy the benefit of +1 Initiative, +1 DEX save and skills, +1 CON save, +5 HP, and +1 to Rune DCs right away. (This also allows you to go with Medium Armor instead of Heavy, if so inclined.)

I think you'll enjoy those more than +1 attack/damage for this level, and you already have a source of additional weapon damage baked in with Giant's Might. A 16-17 primary stat is well within normal at Level 5, and you can still plan on going +2 STR for 18 STR next level at 6. Then take either GWM or Sentinel at 8.

I'm looking at Custom Lineage in DnD Beyond and I don't see where you can get +1 in 3 different ASIs... Unless you mean to redo the point buy to start with 14s in STR, DEX and CON. The rest of your suggestions are great though... thanks!

RogueJK
2022-06-20, 04:00 PM
I'm looking at Custom Lineage in DnD Beyond and I don't see where you can get +1 in 3 different ASIs...

Your OP states that the race is Goliath... Goliath can start +2/+1 or +1/+1/+1:

We're starting at level 5 and I've built a Goliath with 18, 13, 15, 10, 10, 10 in stats

But, if you want to do Custom Lineage, you could do that too. Start out like:
STR 14+2
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 10
And take something like Skill Expert (Athletics, 15 CON) at Level 1, then Crusher (16 CON) at Level 4. Then 18 STR next at Level 6.

NaughtyTiger
2022-06-20, 04:52 PM
I'm looking at Custom Lineage in DnD Beyond and I don't see where you can get +1 in 3 different ASIs... Unless you mean to redo the point buy to start with 14s in STR, DEX and CON. The rest of your suggestions are great though... thanks!

+1 in 3 different ASIs is part of Tasha (right?)

check with your DM for permission to use tasha's point stuff

RogueJK
2022-06-20, 05:50 PM
It's in Monsters of the Multiverse, with the revamped Goliath race.

He states in the OP that the DM is open to all available source material.

Sigreid
2022-06-20, 06:43 PM
To respond to the original question, figure out what you would do if it was an open ended campaign and do that. Hehe

solidork
2022-06-20, 07:18 PM
On a strictly mechanical level, get a feel for how your party plays together before deciding - if you've frequently got advantage then GWM might be a good pick, if other people are getting attacked often then Sentinel might be better. Skill Expert with +1 Con is a good choice if you're not sure which of those would be better yet or you want to emphasize your class features.

Also though, giving some thought to who your character is as a person and what they would desire can help you pick when choices are similar in power. Do you have crusher because your character is all about brute overwhelming strength? GWM emphasizes that. Are you a tactical fighter that's concerned about protecting your team? Sentinel brings that out. Is there a skill that your character should have/be especially good at because of their backstory? Skill Expert can help you realize that aspect of your character.

Mud Puppy
2022-06-21, 01:40 PM
It's in Monsters of the Multiverse, with the revamped Goliath race.

He states in the OP that the DM is open to all available source material.

This was my breakdown. I haven't purchased MoM yet... but I redid my point buy for 14,14,14, 10, 10, 10 which gives me 16, 14, 16, 10, 10, 10 (+1 Con from Crusher at 4th). It reduces my to hit from +8 to +7 (+1 Maul) but bumps my Dex to +2 and my Rune DCs from 13 to 14.

As another respondent said, I'll bump STR to 18 at 6th and then see how the party plays out for the GWM/Sentinel choice at 8th.

Thank you all for your input... if anyone else comes up with something weird, let's hear it!

Captain Bob
2022-06-21, 02:28 PM
I'll throw my hat in the ring; Skill Expert - Athletics, pump your con or str as you wish. Lean on Giant's Might + Expertise + Little Giant to grapple, throw people prone / off cliffs as you see fit.

It looks like you've got at least 3 melee characters in the party, all of whom will love you for shoving stuff prone - and making for some juicy attacks with GWM follow-ups... particularly once you have 3 attacks at 11... shove + 5 attacks is a good time on your action surge. For tougher enemies, you also have the option of shoving + grappling most enemies into a convenient punching bag for your friends to smack into pieces.

Hell, I'd be tempted to ask your DM what happens if your giant-ass picks up two creatures and crunches them together like king kong.

EDIT - I'm proposing Skill Expert as a replacement for Crusher, as I think it's generally more useful for jumping / grappling / shoving etc - lean in to your racial and subclass features! That said, it's not a bad pickup later if you're really set on crusher, i just find myself generally underwhelmed by crusher / slasher / piercer - obviously your mileage may vary.

Gignere
2022-06-21, 05:46 PM
To OP have you consider really leaning into the damage reduction by stacking stones endurance + heavy armor mastery + hill giant resistance?

Mud Puppy
2022-06-22, 07:37 AM
To OP have you consider really leaning into the damage reduction by stacking stones endurance + heavy armor mastery + hill giant resistance?

Not for a single second did I look at this. This is why I come here!

The Hill Rune isn't available until 7th, so HAM at 6th would make some sense...

RogueJK
2022-06-22, 09:36 AM
Yep. You could do Heavy Armor Master at Level 6 for 17 STR, then Skill Expert (+1 STR, Athletics Expertise) at Level 8 for 18 STR.

Falconcry
2022-06-23, 11:28 AM
I like Goliath but for Rune Knight it is really fun to use a gray dwarf instead. You can Giant’s Might and Enlarge then Action Surge to grapple and pound on Gargantuan creatures since you are now Huge instead of Large. I like the idea of grabbing a dragon by the ruff of it’s neck and making it heel.

RogueJK
2022-06-23, 11:38 AM
Fairies can do the same, going from Small to Large with Giant's Might and then Large to Huge with their racial Enlarge. It's even doable in 1 round, since Giant's Might is a Bonus Action and casting Enlarge is an Action.

And if you go DEX-primary with Light Armor, or dip a level of Barbarian for Unarmored Defense, you can still fly while Huge, which makes grappling that Dragon even more realistic. (Fairies can only fly in Light/No Armor.)

This is actually going to be my next PC:
Fairy Barbarian 1/Rune Knight X
STR 16+2
DEX 14
CON 15+1
INT 10
WIS 11
CHA 9
Unarmed Fighting Style
Going Skill Expert (17 CON, Athletics Expertise) at 4, Crusher (18 CON) at 6, and either Resilient WIS/20 STR/20 CON at 8, followed by the others at 12 and 14.
I love the image of tiny little unarmed/unarmored Fairy flying around and throwing punches that hit like sledgehammer, while also soaking damage, redirecting attacks, turning Large/Huge as needed, and wrestling enemies into submission.

That was with rolled stats, and focusing on Unarmed fighting, whereas with Point Buy and a weapon it could look something like:

Fairy Barbarian 1/Rune Knight X
STR 15+2
DEX 14
CON 15+1
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 8
Going Skill Expert (18 STR, Athletics Expertise) at 4, 18 CON at 6, and GWM or 20 STR or 20 CON at 8.

Or

Fairy Rune Knight X
STR 14
DEX 15+2
CON 15+1
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 8
Going Skill Expert (18 DEX, Athletics Expertise) at 4, 18 CON at 6, and 20 DEX at 8.
(Yes, you could get away with just a 14 STR, since you'll have both Advantage and Expertise on Athletics checks.)

Mud Puppy
2022-06-27, 02:49 PM
The one shot was this past Saturday and I wanted to close out with a summary of what happened with the character.

I ended up finalizing stats with 16 14 16 10 10 10 using Great Weapon Fighting style and a +1 maul. I took Crusher at 4th but the Crit never came up despite having a few different times where I had advantage on an attack... The Stone and Fire Rune saves being set at DC14 rather than 13 after I reshuffled my stats and the targets of each failed their initial saves but passed on the second attempt. It's interesting to note (because I missed this while building) that the Stone Rune induces Incapacitation, which does NOT grant advantage on attacks. It only prevents the target from taking Actions or Reactions. While that's powerful, I was thinking it would grant advantage and help crit-fish for Crusher goodness.

The real shining stars of this character build were definitely Great Weapon Fighting and Stone's Endurance from the Goliath. Rolling 5d6+8dmg per turn if both attacks hit and rerolling 1s and 2s was fantastic! I rolled SO many 6s and I had three turns in a row where both attacks hit and the maul did 32dmg. The 3 chances to reduce incoming dmg by 1d12+3 kept me standing and tanking in a party with 2 fighters, 2 wizards and a monk (side note: we started with 11 regular healing potions and ended with none)

From a story standpoint the DM had us trying to rescue a child from some cultists for a god, which we did (barely).... but in the process of doing it one of the wizards was killed outright and our monk ended up selling is soul to a Chain Devil to gain his help with killing a late arriving Balgura (I think that's what it was).

Thanks for everyone's input and advice on this build. We're planning to carry on into a campaign with most of this same party (sans wizard and monk) and I can't wait to see how this goes!

Bardbarian91
2022-06-27, 06:16 PM
I'd be interested to hear more about how this goes! A few thoughts I wanted to share:

1. If you have reach regularly, something I might recommend is taking the Fighting Initiate feat (or swapping out yours if you find a better need for it) to take the style that lets you have a Maneuver or two from Battle Master, in particular Brace - so you can spend a superiority due to add to your damage as part of a reaction to attack an enemy that enters your reach. If you took a glaive or halberd instead of a maul (I believe) it would give you reach and slashing damage, which combined with the slasher feat would give you a pseudo-Alert of sorts. Not saying it's a good idea or something you have to do, just some thoughts in case you change up at all.

2. If the Monk isn't returning, I'll be deeply disappointed in your DM if they don't make a return, possibly as an enemy or whatever else their plot demands, because the selling his soul point is a beautiful plot element to explore.

3. My own experience was amazing, my first time as a player in more than a year after covid happened, first ever one shot experience, I got to play a half orc rune knight fighter who had some slight brain damage, seeing his little goblin friend (one of the other two players in the one shot, who was an Alchemist from Valda's Spire of Secrets, 3rd party content) as his brother, and being very protective of him. We infiltrated a ship looking for a man who'd stolen something, which turned out to be a deadly, top secret construct. I used my feature to grow to large size, and he used a feature to make a potion of enlarge to grow me to huge, and threw bombs from the platform on my shoulders for that purpose. After a brutal fight (in which I used my one uself the cloud rune on my shield to redirect a blast to me instead of my goblin friend), we had it almost down when it used a final, devastating beam attack that would've taken out my brother, and my wonderful DM let me use the cloud rune one last time to bend the beam down and hit me, cracking my shield from the hit and the overuse - but my friend lived and we managed to finally take it down. In short, I LOVE the Subclass and definitely would be thrilled to hear all about the awesome feats that follow!

animewatcha
2022-06-28, 02:14 AM
Depending upon how quickly you level in the campaign maybe the 2 rune carver feats. Variety of things to do and it scales via prof bonus (second feat) on number of runes. Would be a thematic thing with the rune knight.