PDA

View Full Version : Planescape: Torment (Here There Be Spoilers)

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-27, 05:08 AM
Well, the other thread was closed for being too old, apparently... So, here's a new one!

Where were we? Talking about the blind archer, right?

How exactly did you get his heart? I always just assumed he was a small bit of exposition and nothing else.

So much stuff in this game, I swear...

Pronounceable
2007-11-27, 05:56 AM
He says you left something in him. Then we rip him apart a little and get his liver. Which isn't what he meant. Second time we get his heart, which gives some bonus or other.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-27, 10:26 AM
Second time we get his heart, which gives some bonus or other.

+ 1 Dex.

i really should sell Morte into slavery... just to see the expression on his face :smallwink:

Driderman
2007-11-27, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure it's even possible to sell any other character than D'akkon into slavery. Since, you know, other characters still retain their free will even though you are The Player Character...

As for the heart, it grants you +1 dex, which is nice, and some minor bonuses as well I think. Like 10% resistance to ranged attacks or somesuch

Edit: Okay, let me get this straight: The other thread was locked because someone posted in it after it had been dormant for a year, even though that posting spawned an active discussion that progressed for two whole pages before it was locked!?!
I'm not sure what the problem is with "recycling" an old thread instead of starting a new one, at least not in this instance where the topic obviously still meritted debate. Oh well, who am I to question the whims of the forum godlings...
:smallwink:

Charles Phipps
2007-11-27, 03:59 PM
Darn, because I'd only like to sell Ignus into slavery since he really and truly deserves it. I ended up abandoning him at the Factory since I didn't want to share my EXP with him.

Right now I'm looking for someone to help kill the woman in Curst's husband.

Blayze
2007-11-27, 04:28 PM
Why didn't you just call him a supplicant twice? Gets the job done a lot faster (And you don't have to bother leaving the Smouldering Corpse with him, either!).

DeathQuaker
2007-11-27, 04:39 PM
Edit: Okay, let me get this straight: The other thread was locked because someone posted in it after it had been dormant for a year, even though that posting spawned an active discussion that progressed for two whole pages before it was locked!?!

I don't understand why they waited to lock it. If they'd locked it right when it was ressurrected I'd understand, but since a whole new conversation took off actively through the last week and a half, it didn't seem to be doing any harm. Now yet one MORE Torment thread is on this board. How that helps I don't know. Ah well. *shrug*

Anyway, on topic:

Ya know, I've played through a few times and never even talked to Zacariah. Guess I'll have to force myself to play through another time. *sighs melodramatically.* :smalltongue:

I think you can sell anyone into slavery. It's just especially awful to do it to Dak'kon. Grace too, since she's a former slave.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-27, 04:42 PM
I think you can sell anyone into slavery. It's just especially awful to do it to Dak'kon. Grace too, since she's a former slave.

Agreed,

I'm actually rather saddened that I'm coming to the end of this game. It's been a wonderful series of adventures for me and all of them have been interesting and intense. It actually inspired me to do a Planescape campaign of all things. 3E Planescape over at www.planewalker.com took forever to finish but it's quite good.

So, what's your favorite subplot to Torment?

Pronounceable
2007-11-27, 05:06 PM
Morte can be sold. And I think Nordom too. Annah and Grace turn hostile if you try. Never tried Ignus or Vhailor. But I doubt they'd accept that.

That'd be Deionneira. I'm rather vulnerable to tragic female characters. (Corpse Bride was another such case). Her final appearance is my favorite moment of the game.

I'm getting this strange urge to replay. Perhaps I should stay clear of these threads...

Charles Phipps
2007-11-27, 05:15 PM
I like Annah's Romance subplot and am rather saddened to find that Grace doesn't have one. I would have very much enjoyed a sequel to this game because, ironically, I don't think that the Blood War really is an effective end to the Nameless One.

His story seems a bit like Longinus. He's forced to wander eternally.

But, highlights for me...

1. Discovering one of the Brothel Girls was a Robot. (All of their personalities were great).

2. The Godsmen family that is destined for tragedy even if you don't send one of them to the headsman's block.

3. The revelation about the fact that your previous incarnations were b******s.

4. Da'akon's whole "Circle of Zerthimon" subquest.

5. The subtlety of so many plots (Annah's ambiguous relationship with Pharod, the Monk that won't kill anyone but only is happy if you murdered some thugs, and calling into question FFG's goodness)

Really, the game's refusal to pull punches is awesome.

Driderman
2007-11-27, 05:31 PM
I may remember wrong about the slavery part. I suppose Nordom would be possible to sell, although I doubt Morte would go that far for you even in spite of everything. Doubt any other characters would stand for it except D'akkon and Nordom though.

As for favourite subplots, definitely the Circle Of Zerthimon. Also, the story of Trias The Betrayer, if for nothing else then for the line you can say to him after you've defeated him and try to redeem him: "Have you forgotten the face of your father, Trias?".

Morty
2007-11-27, 05:35 PM
Well, I have to say that using Deionarra's sensation stone(sp?) was preety moving for something in computer game. And the dialogue with Ravel is one of the best I've ever seen.

Om
2007-11-27, 06:10 PM
Its not a subplot per se but Reekwind's dialogue is absolutely amazing. His history of the Ally of Dangerous Angles remains one of my favourite gaming moments.

Tom_Violence
2007-11-27, 06:22 PM
Well, I have to say that using Deionarra's sensation stone(sp?) was preety moving for something in computer game. And the dialogue with Ravel is one of the best I've ever seen.

Seconded. Whenever I think about the power of this game that's always the bit that springs to mind first.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-27, 06:42 PM
Seconded. Whenever I think about the power of this game that's always the bit that springs to mind first.

Yes, I love the twist that you have this ghost and immortal love at the start of the game.

And as the game progresses, you find out she was a pretty meaningless portion of your life.

Blayze
2007-11-27, 07:00 PM

It's gotta be Dak'kon. The guy is a subplot or twenty in himself.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-28, 06:08 AM
Well I just freed Triel and decided to skip out on carrying Vhailor with the party. Given I'm Chaotic Good, I don't think that's such a good idea. I'm looking forward to visiting Triel again since it's fairly clear that Angel is lacking a few screws in the head.

What I love is all the references to Planescape this game made. They covered pretty much everything in the entire setting here.

Pyro
2007-11-28, 05:44 PM
2. The Godsmen family that is destined for tragedy even if you don't send one of them to the headsman's block.

You know the Godsmen Guild Subplot never really satisfied me IIRC. I think I didn't do it right...

Charles Phipps
2007-11-28, 07:52 PM
You know the Godsmen Guild Subplot never really satisfied me IIRC. I think I didn't do it right...

There's a number of ways of doing it.

1. Let the Kid go and he remains an Anarchist.

2. Send him to die in Sigil's gallows but say it's for the best.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-29, 04:43 PM
Okay, I just completed Planescape: Torment and I managed to complete every single quest except talking with Xachariah and also investigating the Modrone Maze. I confess, I stopped at all the juicy bits to explore the extra reactions and believe this is truly the greatest game ever made.

I confess that a lot of early comments make a lot more sense. Really, you've got to wonder how utterly BAD the original Tormented One had to be in order to guarantee him damnation. I do wonder what I missed though about the Tormented One being "contracted" to fight in the Blood War. I must have missed that confirmation since it seems quite clear he's going to the Nine Hells because he was a truly and outrageously bad person.

I also love the mysteries that were left open. "Oh, THAT was my name. Does that mean..."

And we never get to find out. What? Is his name Lucifer? Cain? Yosemite Sam?

I do remember Da'akon's reaction to his resurrection though. It wasn't exactly "I'm glad to see you've done well" it was "Okay, I've died for you. It's over, don't ever let me see you again." I suppose I can understand that but I confess there's a lot of simmering bad blood underneath that.

Also, I go with the theory that the Circle of Zerthimon *IS* a total piece of made up hooey by Practical Incarnation. I'm sure it's made to resemble the original stories but it's nothing particularly special. I was completely thrown for a loop by that revelation and it made the hatred for the Practical Incarnation all the stronger.

Oh and I absolutely loathed that damn Fortress and all those Shadows. If I had to go there again, I'd stock up on a huge amount of Cloudkill spells beforehand and a bunch of Heart Charms.

Om
2007-11-29, 04:49 PM
Oh and I absolutely loathed that damn Fortress and all those Shadows. If I had to go there again, I'd stock up on a huge amount of Cloudkill spells beforehand and a bunch of Heart Charms.No need, you can simply outrun them. Talk to the Plane traveller in the Burning Corpse for an item that increases your protection to the Shades.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-29, 04:53 PM
No need, you can simply outrun them. Talk to the Plane traveller in the Burning Corpse for an item that increases your protection to the Shades.

Oh, I outran them a lot but it's still annoying as Hell to have these fast things around me when I pop out of the Portal and there's two beside me and another few on the staircase.

I confess that I was sure I was going to lose the Ignus fight and be forced to start again with almost all of my spells wasted when I reached him. Until I remembered I had the Celestial Host scroll.

Holy CRAP, that was some awesome animation.

Morty
2007-11-29, 04:56 PM
Hm. So you played a mage then? Did you ask Dak'kon to show you the Circle of Zerthimon? It can get you tons of XP, few good spells and lots of dialogue.
As for the shadows in the Fortress- I just outran them and Cloudkilled them away when there were too many of them. This way I had more than enough spells to off Ignus with ease.

Pyro
2007-11-29, 05:10 PM
There's a number of ways of doing it.

1. Let the Kid go and he remains an Anarchist.

2. Send him to die in Sigil's gallows but say it's for the best.

Then what was that big death machine in the back room about...?

Om
2007-11-29, 05:17 PM
Then what was that big death machine in the back room about...?Its a weapon being built for the Devils. If you want to join the Anarchists then you can blow it up.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-29, 05:23 PM
Then what was that big death machine in the back room about...?

Yeah, it's a gigantic Blood War death machine. The implications being one of two things...

1. The Godsmen are stupid for thinking it'll only be used against The Demons.

2. The Godsmen don't care.

It's the irony of Planescape. Very few decisions are entirely good or evil. Take a look at Trias, for example. Does he deserve redemption for all the horrible things he does?

Yet that's supposed to be the most good thing you can accomplish.

Pyro
2007-11-29, 05:26 PM
Its a weapon being built for the Devils. If you want to join the Anarchists then you can blow it up.

OOooooo that makes more sense. I didn't do the Anarchists so the Godsmen said "Its being used against demons" I was like "So.......".

Yay knowledge!!!!

EDIT:
Take a look at Trias, for example. Does he deserve redemption for all the horrible things he does?

I don't think he really deserved redemption, mainly cuz he was so conceited. I let him live because my character is apparently more patient than I am, but I really did want to kill him.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-29, 05:40 PM
OOooooo that makes more sense. I didn't do the Anarchists so the Godsmen said "Its being used against demons" I was like "So.......".

Yeah, of course I was like "Right, and you trust them at their word..."

But yes, Trias is an awesome character that I'm using for the personality of a new villain in my next D20 game. I'm going to import his personality whole cloth for Xvim the Despot in Forgotten Realms. Xvim was always just a Bane rip off in regular FR so this will give him some badly needed new personality traits.