PDA

View Full Version : Any way to quicken "prophetic favor" in Dragon Prophesier feat?

JPhil
2022-06-21, 05:39 AM
When using the Dragon Prophesier feat, entering a prophetic favor takes a full round action. There are two spells that I know of that makes this an immediate action (glimpse of the prophesy and overwhelming revelations). Are there other spells or feats that would do this? I was wondering if something like the quicken spell-like ability feat would apply here, or if there are other feats or strategies that are a better fit. The text never really says what a prophetic favor is -- a spell-like/supernatural/extraordinary ability, or something different altogether?

JPhil
2022-06-21, 09:37 AM
I found a partial solution to the problem that uses the opposite approach: speed up spell-casting rather than try to speed up entering a prophetic favor. So using arcane spellsurge, standard action spells are now swift actions. This means that I can enter a prophetic favor as a full round action and still case a spell during that round. It's not totally ideal since there are other things I'd like to do with my swift actions, but at least it prevents the need to waste a full round every time I need to enter a prophetic favor.

Still curious what exactly entering a prophetic favor is -- perhaps just a special ability, and whether or not there are any feats to accelerate that.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-06-21, 10:20 AM
Easiest option is to play a wand user and take Prophecy's Artifex to let you use wands as a swift action.
That way you can activate prophetic favor and still cast a spell in round 1.
Bonus points if you happen to be a RKV.

If you take Enhance Item, Wand Mastery and so on your save DCs will actually be higher than casting the spell normally.
If you're worried about cost Channel Charge (LEoF) can help.

If you have a dragonmark Mark of the Dauntless & Celerity is also an option.
The other option is to get an extra standard action (Belt of Battle or Swiftblade 9 for example), though those are admittedly rare. Psionics have it much easier here.
You can also always scout - if you know combat is going to happen you can go into prophetic favor before initiative is rolled.
Or do it during the bad guys monologue, i don't think it has any visible signs.

As for what ability type it's either extraordinary or supernatural.
Since it isn't marked as supernatural and the abilities of the Dragon Prophet PrC that rely on it are extraordinary i'd rule that the feat and prophetic favor state are also extraordinary.