PDA

View Full Version : How old???

Jimbob
2007-11-27, 07:27 AM
I was talking to my dad last night, who I play D&D with, and the topic "when is to old to play" came up. Well he (my dad being 41) likes to think he has got 10 years left but he does not know. Which got me thinking (being 21) do I have 30 years + in me? I would like to think so but I just dont know. So I thought I would ask you lot. How old is to old in your eyes to stop playing D&D?? Do you know any one who is still playing at 50+ years old?

tdjewell
2007-11-27, 07:36 AM
I'm 47 and my wife's 50. We play regularly.

Charity
2007-11-27, 07:37 AM
What a strange question.

I will play until I no longer wish to.
As, I imagine will everyone else, upper age limits make no sense outside of biological functionality.

Jimbob
2007-11-27, 07:50 AM
And good for you, I hope to be still playing then.
And yes I do agree this is a very odd question to ask and sorry if any one takes offence to it, non was intended.

Charity
2007-11-27, 07:54 AM
Heck no, no offence, i just wondered why any upper cap would be put on a largely cerebral activity.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-27, 07:59 AM
I would have thought that age would be a non-issue with D&D.

Hazkali
2007-11-27, 08:03 AM
Don't forget that ageing actually increases Intelligence and Charisma, the two key abilities for roleplaying games...

:smallbiggrin:

StickMan
2007-11-27, 08:03 AM
Hey I plan to play till 28 edition comes out, or until I find a better system that some how mixes the class and level system with a customizable point buy system.

Hexus
2007-11-27, 08:04 AM
Alot of dnd players I've encountered have been well into there 50's. I've also DM'd a game for my little sister and her friends (Tweens) and I got into dnd when I was 9 (26 now). I think dnd knows no age (or role play in general). Who doesnt like to roll dice @_@.

AslanCross
2007-11-27, 08:17 AM
I've only started playing this year. I'm 24. I'll probably continue playing until old age, maybe even with any future grandchildren I might have.

geek_2049
2007-11-27, 08:18 AM
My main gaming group jokes of a gaming retirement community.

Till I die mfers!

Swooper
2007-11-27, 08:31 AM
Heck yeah. When I move to a retirement home, I'll have all the time in the world (untill I kick the bucket, that is) to play D&D and computer games :smallbiggrin:

Kurobara
2007-11-27, 09:28 AM
Hey I plan to play till 28 edition comes out, or until I find a better system that some how mixes the class and level system with a customizable point buy system.

I only ever glanced briefly at BESM d20, but I think it was something like that - class determined what powers you could buy or possibly cheapened the cost of some, and you got more points as you leveled. You might want to look into that and modifying it to suit your taste of genre.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-11-27, 09:35 AM
Heck yeah. When I move to a retirement home, I'll have all the time in the world (untill I kick the bucket, that is) to play D&D and computer games :smallbiggrin:

I am shooting for a lich template so I can keep playing AFTER the retirement home.

Mr. Moogle
2007-11-27, 09:44 AM
I am shooting for a lich template so I can keep playing AFTER the retirement home.

But wach out, the old man next to you has a +2 Holy Cane.
Well im about 16 and i think i may be playing for a long long tome...

Person_Man
2007-11-27, 10:06 AM
I've been playing since 1st ed when I was 8, and now I'm 29. I'm pretty sure it will be around forever, and that I'll play it until my body gives out. Then hopefully my brain can be implanted in a robot that can play D&D. Or fight crime. Or run amok and go on a killing spree. I haven't decided yet.

Darkxarth
2007-11-27, 10:15 AM
My mother is 49 and she plays on a regular basis. She LOVES D&D and is planning on playing for as long as she can find someone else to play with.

Fhaolan
2007-11-27, 10:17 AM
Well... let's see. I've been playing D&D since I was 8, two years after D&D was first published. I'm 39 now. My uncle, who is the one that got me involved in D&D (he was teaching college where there was a wargaming club who had got ahold of the original white-cover booklet set of D&D and were fooling around with it) is somewhere around... 65, I think? He still games, although he prefers non-magical Victorian steampunk-style stuff to D&D. (He dislikes Eberron, as he really doesn't want magic in his steampunk. At least not so obviously, anyway.)

I know a couple of wargamers who are 90+ who are gaming. I don't know if that counts though, as they're playing historical wargames, not RPGs.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-27, 10:35 AM
Hmm. D'you people think there's any chance to get to Epic and take Extended Lifespan before 20 years go by?

Fixer
2007-11-27, 10:40 AM
34, been playing for 26 years, likely to be playing for at least 26 more... or until I lose all my other gamer friends to MMORPGs.

Really, it's just a matter of finding people to play with. I have been teaching my mother, wife, son and nephew how to play to keep myself a gaming group. ;)

J.Gellert
2007-11-27, 11:37 AM
Last year I turned my 3rd edition PhB into a phylactery - so I will play for eternity, only problem is I doubt I'll want to upgrade anytime soon :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-11-27, 11:47 AM
Hmm. D'you people think there's any chance to get to Epic and take Extended Lifespan before 20 years go by?

There's rumors they'll be coming out with a Cyborg template sometime in the next century. If you're lucky you might be able to add it to your base race. Supposed to have one heck of a GP cost, though.

Wraithy
2007-11-27, 11:48 AM
Well Nursing homes are rediculously boring, so I'll hopefully be playing D&D in some form untill the end, whether or not I play in between now and then is anyone's guess

Ralfarius
2007-11-27, 11:55 AM
I'll play, not necessarily D&D, but RPGs in general until the zombie outbreak or robot uprising that most of us will inevitably die during.

Kompera
2007-11-27, 01:13 PM
My first D&D set was a boxed 8 1/2 x 11" set including the "blue book", a couple dice, and IIRC a very thin module. I later bought the "three booklet set", Chainmail, and have only really paused with D&D 3.0, only owning the PHB of that set. I own more 3.5 source books though, and the members of my gaming group who are all within about +-5 years of my own age joke regularly about getting together after we're in a retirement home for our regular gaming session, even if we're replacing a couple beers or a scotch with hot milk toddies. :smallamused:

Age is superfluous. There is no "too old" point to playing a game which only requires an open mind, some imagination, and the willingness to act out a role which you've created for yourself.

Chronos
2007-11-27, 03:02 PM
"Too old" is 2d20 years past venerable age.

Kyeudo
2007-11-27, 03:06 PM
I plan to be playing D&D until the day I die. Or until they skrew the system up too much.

Subotei
2007-11-27, 03:09 PM
36 and I still find rule discussions interesting. If only I'd harnessed my joy of bending rules to something like tax accounting, I'd be on a beach somewhere right now....:smallfrown:

BardicDuelist
2007-11-27, 03:22 PM
36 and I still find rule discussions interesting. If only I'd harnessed my joy of bending rules to something like tax accounting, I'd be in a prison somewhere right now....:smallfrown:

Fixed that for you. Remember, that DM's kind of an ass when it comes to bending the rules. He is a bit of a stickler for RAW though...

2007-11-27, 03:28 PM
Then hopefully my brain can be implanted in a robot that can play D&D. Or fight crime. Or run amok and go on a killing spree. I haven't decided yet.

None of those things are mutually exclusive.

Subotei
2007-11-27, 03:32 PM
Fixed that for you. Remember, that DM's kind of an ass when it comes to bending the rules. He is a bit of a stickler for RAW though...

LOL - yeah but if this were DnD I'd have 5 friends trying to spring me from the (challenge rating appropriate) prison!

bosssmiley
2007-11-27, 03:41 PM
My main gaming group jokes of a gaming retirement community.

Sweeeeeeeeet. Forget playing bingo or parcheesi in our old age. We're gonna be kicking butt on Juvenile Delinquent Red Dragons and the dreaded Great Young Ones!

"I'll stop gaming when they pry this d20 from my cold, dead hand."

Sofaking
2007-11-27, 03:47 PM
I will play for 70+2d20 years.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-27, 03:48 PM
"I'll stop gaming when they pry this d20 from my cold, dead hand."

I'll just wait until you roll it.

Subotei
2007-11-27, 03:53 PM
I'll just wait until you roll it.

...and fumble.

Prometheus
2007-11-27, 03:54 PM
I think the negativity associated with being too old for D&D is more about obsession. I talked to a man who was about 60, clutching the Book of Erotic Fantasy and bragging about how he physically constructed a scale model of a multilevel dungeon, how he has converted his basement into a room solely for the purpose complete with furnishings, and spends all his time preparing for the upcoming session.

The same level of obsession wouldn't be nearly as bad in a kid, who, is expected to do use all their time on fun & games, has less resources to spend, and is less likely to become permanently affixed to the concept.