PDA

View Full Version : CR 1 Beasts as Races

strangebloke
2022-06-21, 04:01 PM
Okay. So hypothetically, you're asked to show up to a one-shot with your race being replaced by a CR 1 beast. You don't get the ability scores, those are calculated normally with two floating +1s. You do get the HP and natural AC of the beast though as well as natural weapons and abilities.

Also lets assume you can wield weapons. Somehow.

What do you build with this?

OldTrees1
2022-06-21, 04:23 PM
Oh the choices. The choices!! Many more than these.

CR 1 (Large Sized)
Brown Bear
Dire Wolf
Giant Eagle / Giant Vulture (Vulture has Pack Tactics)
Giant Hyena (Rampage = Cleave)
Giant Octopus (suffocated)
Giant Spider
Giant Toad (Swallow)
Tiger / Lion (Pack Tactics)

CR 1/2 (Medium Sized)
Crocadile (Large, Bite restrains)
Giant Wasp
Swarm of Insects

Oh and don't forget the OP graciously told us to ignore ability scores. So ignore the actual CR. I know someone is going to play a "CR 0" Cat.

I think a Giant Spider Cleric Medic sounds fun, but really just no longer being limited to boring humanoid morphology makes lots of options more interesting.

strangebloke
2022-06-21, 06:12 PM
Giant Octopus theoretically works given that you can hold your breath for an hour. Be a noble, have squires pull your aquarium around.

Could be a nasty monk tbh.

Psyren
2022-06-21, 06:40 PM
Can I cast spells despite not having hands? Can I speak?

strangebloke
2022-06-21, 06:44 PM
Can I cast spells despite not having hands? Can I speak?

sorry, yes. Everyone can cast, hold/use two items as though they had two hands, wear armor, and speak.

I will not deprive you of Sir Croaker, the Eldriltch knight.

Psyren
2022-06-21, 07:30 PM
If the beast has abilities, do I keep them? Do those abilities scale with my stats and proficiency?

*eyes Deinonychus Barbarian with DC 23 pounce*

Skrum
2022-06-21, 07:45 PM
Air Bud. Dog with athlete background, athletic feat, maybe champion fighter? Or monk, for the movement speed - though barb for rage and advantage on athletics checks also checks out.

Cheshire Cat. Arcane caster, focus on illusions. Pretty wide open, build-wise. Some type of bard would probably work really well.

Geico Lizard. Mastermind rogue, I guess? Lol

Aflac Duck. 100% a barbarian, no doubt about it. So angry. A flying barb would be awesome

Amnestic
2022-06-22, 04:13 AM
Constrictor Snake, perhaps. Not much in the way of AC, but swim speed, 10ft blindsight, and a Constrict attack which auto-restrains your target on a hit.

Otherwise I would absolutely play a CR0 Cat Warlock or Dragon Monk to relive the 3.5 Tibbit days.

Isaire
2022-06-22, 04:40 AM
Giant Octopus theoretically works given that you can hold your breath for an hour. Be a noble, have squires pull your aquarium around.

Even better, tell everyone you are playing sir tentaclees, the noble octopus monk, but actually be one of the squires, a human wizard /druid who (pretends to) consults the (normal) giant octopus on everything :D

animorte
2022-06-22, 07:19 AM
There’s a 1/2 CR limit when using the sidekicks rule. I’ve had some really interesting PCs because of this.

strangebloke
2022-06-22, 09:53 AM
If the beast has abilities, do I keep them? Do those abilities scale with my stats and proficiency?

*eyes Deinonychus Barbarian with DC 23 pounce*

abilities sure, except for multiattack specifically. Making Extra attack redundant would be bad for class balance (well, worse)

Also I would make the abilities scale.

Constrictor Snake, perhaps. Not much in the way of AC, but swim speed, 10ft blindsight, and a Constrict attack which auto-restrains your target on a hit.

Otherwise I would absolutely play a CR0 Cat Warlock or Dragon Monk to relive the 3.5 Tibbit days.

Not a bad option. Really good CC and advantage and I have to think it'd be perfect for a monk or fighter.

...don't think too hard about how you're wielding weapons though.:smalltongue:

verbatim
2022-06-22, 11:16 AM

Giant Rocktopus from the updated Out of the Abyss is a Giant Octopus that can breath on land instead of underwater, because the original Rocktopus could not breathe on land or underwater.

nickl_2000
2022-06-22, 11:47 AM
Don't forget the Giant Owl

Advantage on Perception w/ hearing and sight
60 ft flight movement
Flyby

It would make a delicious Monk or Rogue who Kites or hits and runs.

Amnestic
2022-06-22, 11:55 AM
Size could be an issue (or a boon) potentially - most CR1 options (and my chosen Constrictor Snake) are Large so they risk possibly needing to squeeze through places which could hinder them.

Of course it always boosts their reach and lets them grapple bigger creatures.

Sadly the Giant Barbarian and Rune Knight fighter don't boost your size category by 1, it just turns you Large, so no Huge grapplesnake there.