PDA

View Full Version : Hiding, Invisibility, and Allies

Xenothelm
2022-06-22, 01:18 PM
In the Hiding blurb, it’s mentioned that your Stealth check is compared to the Passive Perception of anyone who might, well, perceive you. I assume this refers to enemies but it also doesn’t explicitly mention them either. Just “creatures”.

So if someone is invisible, and makes an attempt to hide in combat, would their allies be subject to this? As in, does attempting to hide rope my allies into the passive perception check? I’m hoping this is a RAW no…

Dualight
2022-06-22, 01:39 PM
Hidden is a strange condition, since it is relative to each creature that would be capable of perceiving you if you had not been hidden. As such, your Stealth check would be compared to the Passive Perception of your party, but only if it is relevant. If an ally's Perception beats your Stealth, you are not hidden from them, but that would not help your enemies at all. As far as I know, there are no effects that demand that you are hidden from all creatures, just that you are hidden from whatever you attempt to affect(i.e. advantage on attack rolls from being unseen).

All this said, though, I am running off memory here, so I could be wrong. I am reasonably certain, but i do not have a quotation from a rulebook on hand to back this up.

EDIT: The short of it is: the Perception of your allies is only considered if the DM deems it necessary, or when an ally is trying to target you with an effect that requires a 'creature that they can see'.

Xenothelm
2022-06-22, 02:19 PM
Hidden is a strange condition, since it is relative to each creature that would be capable of perceiving you if you had not been hidden. As such, your Stealth check would be compared to the Passive Perception of your party, but only if it is relevant. If an ally's Perception beats your Stealth, you are not hidden from them, but that would not help your enemies at all. As far as I know, there are no effects that demand that you are hidden from all creatures, just that you are hidden from whatever you attempt to affect(i.e. advantage on attack rolls from being unseen).

All this said, though, I am running off memory here, so I could be wrong. I am reasonably certain, but i do not have a quotation from a rulebook on hand to back this up.

EDIT: The short of it is: the Perception of your allies is only considered if the DM deems it necessary, or when an ally is trying to target you with an effect that requires a 'creature that they can see'.

This makes sense, it’s assumed your allies aren’t calling you out to the enemy so checking their perception is somewhat moot. But beating their perception DOES hide you from them, which can have implications for aiming AoE spells. I was mixing up communication with the perception.

Unoriginal
2022-06-22, 03:59 PM
In the Hiding blurb, it’s mentioned that your Stealth check is compared to the Passive Perception of anyone who might, well, perceive you. I assume this refers to enemies but it also doesn’t explicitly mention them either. Just “creatures”.

So if someone is invisible, and makes an attempt to hide in combat, would their allies be subject to this? As in, does attempting to hide rope my allies into the passive perception check? I’m hoping this is a RAW no…

If you're attempting to hide, your allies also have to rely on Passive Perception to perceive you, yes.

Keravath
2022-06-22, 04:04 PM

Invisibility already prevents effects that require "a creature you can see". Hidden status relative to allies is important when the ally is using AoE spells or effects. They can't place them to avoid an ally if they don't know where that ally is. In addition, the hidden ally may not be able to easily give their location to an ally without also giving it away to the opponents at the same time (eg making noise).

However, to the OP, allies are as affected by hide checks by their allies as the opponents are - assuming that the ally who is hiding has appropriate cover or is invisible.

Xenothelm
2022-06-22, 04:20 PM
Invisibility already prevents effects that require "a creature you can see". Hidden status relative to allies is important when the ally is using AoE spells or effects. They can't place them to avoid an ally if they don't know where that ally is. In addition, the hidden ally may not be able to easily give their location to an ally without also giving it away to the opponents at the same time (eg making noise).

However, to the OP, allies are as affected by hide checks by their allies as the opponents are - assuming that the ally who is hiding has appropriate cover or is invisible.

This became a question in my head when my DM considered removing my mini from the board for being invisible, which I argued isn’t the same as being hidden. But I wanted to be absolutely certain about how hiding would work as well.

meandean
2022-06-22, 04:23 PM
The fact that "you can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly" means that hiding is not a yes/no binary. e.g., your allies are on one end of the classic empty white room; your enemies are on the other end; and there's a statue in the middle. If you hide behind that statue on your allies' side, you may be hidden from your enemies, but you're not hidden from your allies. Not may not be; definitely are not.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that you were invisible. That's obviously different.