PDA

View Full Version : Does this character concept sound fun for a 1-shot I'll play in 3 hours from now?

Zhentarim
2022-06-22, 06:32 PM
The DM I play my tiefling bard with is offering a non-cannon one-shot with different characters set in the setting, this time as a bunch of hired mercenaries trying to kill some wild hogs. Similar to my main character, this one shot character has the criminal background. Unlike my main character, though, who is friendly/personable and prefers making friends to enemies, this one-shot character is risk-taking and quick to anger. This one-shot starts at level 4, so I gave them 1 level of Fiend Pact Warlock and 3 levels of Wild Magic Sorcerer, with Warlock as the 1st class.

I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.

I blow up at the slightest insult.

Greed. I will do whatever it takes to become wealthy. (Evil)

Something important was taken from me, and I aim to steal it back.

When faced with a choice between money and my friends, I usually choose the money.

Cantrips:
Prestidigitation
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand
Green-Flame Blade

1st:
Chaos Bolt
Mage Armor
Hex
Command
Burning Hands

2nd:
Shadow Blade

meandean
2022-06-22, 06:57 PM
Is it 30-50 feral hogs??

Would it be considered unsporting to tailor the character to the situation? e.g., command isn't gonna help you much here.

Corran
2022-06-22, 07:10 PM
Think of a connection between the bond and one of the main campaign's characters. Now this character just acquired an enemy in your pc for the one shot. Find a way to drop this info mid session in a way that makes sense and wont look like forced exposition. Assumming the other player will find it amusing instead of unpleasant. Even if the DM never makes use of it, it could be fun creating an enemy for one of the main campaign's pc out of thin air.

Zhentarim
2022-06-22, 10:11 PM
Is it 30-50 feral hogs??

Would it be considered unsporting to tailor the character to the situation? e.g., command isn't gonna help you much here.

Turns out, they were wereboars that the villagers thought were wild boars. Command wasn't of use at all, but Hex, Chaos Bolt, Eldritch Blast, and Green Flamed Blade were.

Tawmis
2022-06-23, 12:37 AM
Turns out, they were wereboars that the villagers thought were wild boars. Command wasn't of use at all, but Hex, Chaos Bolt, Eldritch Blast, and Green Flamed Blade were.

Command should have worked on the Wereboars, as long as they were in their humanoid or hybrid forms - because in those stages, they're still considered humanoid. (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Wereboar#content)

Does Green Flame Blade bypass their damage immunity? Damage Immunities: Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing From Nonmagical Attacks Not Made With Silvered Weapons

Ironically just ran a session last night with four wereboars...