PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Can You "Draw" A Natural Weapon

Thurbane
2022-06-22, 07:09 PM
Just wondering, is there any way you can be considered to "draw" a natural attack, be it a claw or an Improved Unarmed Strike, prior to an attack?

This would be for use with the Iaijutsu Focus skill:

If you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately after drawing a melee weapon, you can deal extra damage, based on the result of an Iaijutsu Focus check.

I guess a cheesy reading would be is that the attack does not have to be with the same weapon you drew (i.e. Quick Draw a sword, then attack with any natural weapon you like), but that probably would not fly at my table.

From memory, there a feat in Savage Species that lets you detach a limb?

Is there any more straightforward way to do this? A feat or item based solution would be great, if possible: something that could be tacked onto a character without having to invest in a particular race or class.

Official 3.0/3.5 sources preferred.

And no Loyalty's Reward feat, for crying out loud! :smallbiggrin:

Cheers - T

Doctor Despair
2022-06-22, 08:05 PM

Detach
( Savage Species, p. 32)

[Monster]

You can remove a part of your body and use it as a ranged weapon.

Prerequisite
CON 19, regeneration,

Benefit
As an attack action, you can detach a portion of your body that can make a melee attack other than a bite (such as a paw, tail, or tentacle) and use it as a thrown weapon (range increment 20 feet). The thrown member deals its base damage plus your Strength bonus (not 1 1/2 times your Strength bonus). Special attacks that deal damage, such as poison and acid, take effect normally from the thrown member. Ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain attacks cannot be made with the detached body part.

Special
Tearing off a piece of yourself is traumatic. You take subdual damage equal to one-quarter of your full normal hit point total. Damage reduction cannot reduce the amount of damage taken in this way

Is there any reason you don't want to craft a sheath for your natural weapon? A cover for your horn, a muzzle for your bite, fitted pockets for your claws...

Venger
2022-06-22, 08:47 PM
Where is loyalty's reward from?

JNAProductions
2022-06-22, 08:55 PM

Kingdoms of Kalamar? I think.

loky1109
2022-06-23, 12:22 AM
Just wondering, is there any way you can be considered to "draw" a natural attack, be it a claw or an Improved Unarmed Strike, prior to an attack?

I guess a cheesy reading would be is that the attack does not have to be with the same weapon you drew (i.e. Quick Draw a sword, then attack with any natural weapon you like), but that probably would not fly at my table.

Is there any more straightforward way to do this? A feat or item based solution would be great, if possible: something that could be tacked onto a character without having to invest in a particular race or class.

Look at the aberrant limbs NPS trait from DMG2. I believe you may have option to hide extra arms. Maybe it works as sheathing.

Rebel7284
2022-06-23, 12:36 AM
Cats have retractable claws. You could argue for drawing claws if you're a cat.

Saintheart
2022-06-23, 01:14 AM
The Warshaper takes a move action to grow a natural weapon. Sounds pretty close to drawing a natural weapon to me!

Thurbane
2022-06-23, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Kingdoms of Kalamar? I think.

Correct. It is an extremely poorly defined feat from a 3.0 KoK splat, that basically allows you to assign your own mechanical effect for the benefit of the feat. It is only supposed to be something along the lines of a situational +2 bonus to something, but due to the loose wording, some people feel it can give you pretty much anything...on a par with the most powerful epic feats in the game.

And due to the quirk of the KoK creators blackmailing WotC into letting them have a D&D logo on the cover, it can be argued as official D&D content.

Gruftzwerg
2022-06-23, 03:21 AM

And no Loyalty's Reward feat, for crying out loud! :smallbiggrin:

Cheers - T

So you wanna play a clawlock xD

Eldritch Claws (feat from Dragon Magazine) lets you grow Claws that remain until the start of your next turn. Thus you are effectively drawing new claws out of nowhere each turn.^^
Don't forget the Beast Strike (feat) for extra cheese. (have a look at my clawlock build for some inspiration maybe. Doesn't have Iaijutsu, but you could get some basic clawlock ideas there to combo with Iaijutsu focus).

I had once this concept idea myself, to make a Iaijutsu Shadow Pounce Clawlock. But so far I haven't put much time/effort into it. (One of my dozen build concepts occupying my brain memory somewhere...^^).
Maybe I can sweet-talk you into making the build?^^