PDA

View Full Version : Making a magic dictaphone

BlackOpal12
2007-11-27, 09:19 AM
Right, I've got what should, I think, be a fairly simple proposition. I'm currently polishing up a 13th level Cleric of Boccob, focusing on the knowledge domain more than the magical. The character is very "scribe-y" in nature, and I'm looking to create a magic item that would allow him to write in a book without having to pull the book out of his bag and carry it around by hand all the time.

Perhaps something along the lines of a quill enchanted with continuous prestidigitation, limited to "coloring" the pages of a book, within "self" range. Alternately, a ring with the same effect.

What, other than the basic "Craft Wondrous Item" and "Forge Ring" feats, would be required to pull this off? And just how much would it cost?

Any help is greatly appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2007-11-27, 09:28 AM
Creating a continuous 0-level spell item that doesn't take up a body slot like the quill would have a market cost of 5,000gp. Make it a ring for 2,500gp, and with the limitations specified I'd say drastically less: 1,000gp, to be harsh.

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-11-27, 09:42 AM
As a DM, I'd say it was 1,000gp, maybe less, and standard issue for all clerics of Boccob, maybe all clerics with the knowledge domain who were travelers have it issued by the temple from a store of such things created as offerings by pious wizards. It could add a lot of flavor. In fact, I may steal that. Thanks.

Mr. Moogle
2007-11-27, 10:02 AM
Could you make the phantom-quill poke your enenys eyes out? :smallwink:

BlackOpal12
2007-11-27, 10:11 AM
Ganurath - Thanks! I thought it might come out to about that price, but I just wanted to be sure :smallsmile:

sstoopidtallkid - That was really the flavor I was going for with the item - glad you like it, feel free to introduce it around.

Mr. Moogle - I believe that the item you're looking for is called an "Arrow." I can understand the confusion, though - both arrows and quills have feathery bits and pointy bits. Its an easy mistake to make.

RTGoodman
2007-11-27, 10:43 AM
And in case you need something bigger and more expensive to do all your scribing for you, Wizards has conveniently given you this item from the "Clockwork Wonders" article series:

The Autoscribe (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070326a).