PDA

View Full Version : Was The Longest Journey supposed to be...longer?

Grod_The_Giant
2022-06-24, 09:53 AM
I'm approaching the endgame of The Longest Journey, and I'm curious-- were there a couple chapters that were originally planned but wound up getting cut for budget/schedule reasons? I'm suspicious because

You only get the first two pieces of the disk after extended adventures, but the last two pieces and both of the gems are just handed to you within, like, fifteen minutes of each other and separated by nothing but story (and I guess the reforging-the-disk puzzle, but that was pretty short and simple).

I was expecting additional adventures before getting the Dark People and Venar pieces.

Cespenar
2022-06-24, 10:13 AM
I'm approaching the endgame of The Longest Journey, and I'm curious-- were there a couple chapters that were originally planned but wound up getting cut for budget/schedule reasons? I'm suspicious because

You only get the first two pieces of the disk after extended adventures, but the last two pieces and both of the gems are just handed to you within, like, fifteen minutes of each other and separated by nothing but story (and I guess the reforging-the-disk puzzle, but that was pretty short and simple).

I was expecting additional adventures before getting the Dark People and Venar pieces.

I saw the swift handing of the last two pieces as a fun twist/deconstruction, myself. I mean, as brilliant as the game is, it's already pretty long, and every game enjoys a timely wrap-up IMO.

Sigako
2022-06-25, 08:00 AM
There was some cut content, like that terminal in the beginning actually providing a lot of information about the world, but I'm not aware of whole chapters being scrapped.

jenny-khan
2022-07-21, 07:16 AM
it,s very good and longer game. The game was a commercial success, with sales in excess of 500,000 units by 2004, and was acclaimed by critics