PDA

View Full Version : On average, are Strixhaven or Ravnica background better, minus the Initiate feat?

thorr-kan
2022-06-24, 06:34 PM
Strixhaven and Ravnica backgrounds add a lot of spells to a character's class spell list, if the character the Spellcasting or Pact Magic class features. Some levels add 2, some levels add 3. The Strixhaven Initiate feat makes the Strixhaven backgrounds measurably better. But if you strip out that feat, which background averages better?

If somebody knows of an offsite analysis of this, feel free to point me in that direction.

Dualight
2022-06-25, 03:07 AM
What is 'better' in this case? none of those backgrounds give exactly the same spells, and the class you start from really changes what benefits you get. Offf the top of my head I know that Witherbloom Student is wasted for a cleric in terms of the 1st-level spells (inflict/cure wounds), but it is the only way i know of to get wither and bloom as a cleric spell, so it is not entirely wasted, depending on what you are going for.

Really, the value of each of those backgrounds is fully dependent on your list pre-background and the concept you are building towards.

thorr-kan
2022-06-29, 02:05 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been any further analysis of this. Well, thanks all.

Kane0
2022-06-29, 04:05 PM
Both sets feature at least one smash hit spell for each list, I think it largely comes down to what your build is needing but i'd say the Strix lists feature stronger picks on average.

Rukelnikov
2022-07-01, 05:06 AM
Its pretty hard to give an answer on which's "better" since no bg's spell list (which is what we're comparing) is strictly superior to another (no list is included in another).

If you wanted to somehow measure it, its would be kind of a pain, you'd have to check how many spells from each list are hard to get (i.e.: most 1st lvl spells wouldn't be very important since you can get pretty much any of those with a feat or a 1 level dip), which of those have mechanical or themathic pull, and whether for those tasks is there another bg better suited.

Khrysaes
2022-07-01, 05:14 AM
This is out of date as Tasha's added more spells to each class's spell list and it doesn't include Strixhaven, but someone compared each class to the bonus spell lists for Ravnica and Dragonmarks to identify combinations with maximum versatility.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hkzoObOaY8fNJY9e8pEZmS8d3gg1cSRHTLYlecZT_FQ/edit?usp=sharing

Also of note. Artificer has NO unique spells.

Sorcerer's only unique spell is Chaos Bolt, which can be attained via the Izzet Background.

thorr-kan
2022-07-01, 09:44 AM
This is out of date as Tasha's added more spells to each class's spell list and it doesn't include Strixhaven, but someone compared each class to the bonus spell lists for Ravnica and Dragonmarks to identify combinations with maximum versatility.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hkzoObOaY8fNJY9e8pEZmS8d3gg1cSRHTLYlecZT_FQ/edit?usp=sharing

Also of note. Artificer has NO unique spells.

Sorcerer's only unique spell is Chaos Bolt, which can be attained via the Izzet Background.
Interesting.

8wGremlin
2022-07-01, 04:17 PM
One issue to to think about is the Spell level that are obtainable with each class.
The half casters, may have access to a spell list that adds off-list spells to their own, but, they are only able to use a fraction of them.

Full Casters get and advantage only in that if the adventure is high enough level that they can use the spell.
Also look at oddities such as warlocks with long lasting spells, or powerful spells.

The Mark of Healing Halfling hexblade warlock, from the Orzhov Syndicate gets Spirit guardians, every encounter nearly, which auto upscales. It is capable of decent healing, with some great versatility, while still chunking out Eldritch Blasts, and any pack shenanigans.

Whilst I could use Student of Lorehold for Spirit guardians, and some over lap, it doesn't give out cantrips, which open up some more versatility as well. Orzhov gives out Guidance fyi.

So it really depends upon what is good for your concept and character, as to which is better.

Khrysaes
2022-07-02, 10:15 AM
One issue to to think about is the Spell level that are obtainable with each class.
The half casters, may have access to a spell list that adds off-list spells to their own, but, they are only able to use a fraction of them.

Technically, the half casters could use all of them. Unless i am mistaken and misremembering, I dont think any of the bonus spell lists add spells beyond 5th level, so half casters could eventually use all of them.

Practically speaking they probably wont or cant because they dont reach high enough level.

Eldritch knight and arcane trickster cant use the 5th level spells without 9 levels in a full caster class.