PDA

View Full Version : Optimization You vs Strahd von Zarovich (Curse of Strahd)

Pandreas
2022-06-25, 02:16 PM
Hello guys, so this is more of a fictional thing because you would never be in a 1v1 situation in a classic campaign but its fun so why not?

So my question is, if you wanted to fight Lord Strahd 1v1 what build would you go?

I thought about an Aasimar Paladin/Cleric build but what are your ideas/takes to this?

Alright I have to clarify, that you will probably cap around level 10-13 ^^

RogueJK
2022-06-25, 02:26 PM
Radiant Consumption Aasimar Devotion Paladin 11/Divine Soul Sorcerer 9
STR 14+2
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 15+1
ASIs: 18 STR, 18 CHA, GWM, Lucky
Quicken and Extend Metamagic

This gets you:
-Multiple sources of Radiant damage to counteract his Regeneration
-Nova damage capabilities, stacking high level Smites and GWM to rapidly take down his 144 HP, with up to 3x attacks per turn when utilizing Quickened Booming Blade for a BA attack
-Resistance to Necrotic damage, which all of his melee attacks and his biggest spell (Blight) inflict
-Immunity to his Charm effect
-+CHA to attack, to counteract GWM's attack penalty
-Access to a built-in magic weapon to bypass his Resistance, even if you don't otherwise have a magic weapon
-+CHA to saving throws, further boosted by Lucky and Chosen of the Gods
-Plenty of buff spells, including things like Extended Aid/Death Ward/etc. that can be pre-cast before a Long Rest to regain those slots
-Counterspell
-The Dawn spell, to generate a pillar of Sunlight, which triggers his Sunlight Hypersensitivity and shuts down his Shapechange and Misty Escape abilities

Envyus
2022-06-25, 02:27 PM
The level limit is important.

Pandreas
2022-06-25, 02:37 PM
Yes i forgot to enter the level cap my bad

the paladin sorcerer idea isnt bad tho :)

RogueJK
2022-06-25, 02:41 PM
I'm sticking with the same answer, just with the levels being Devotion Paladin 8/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5 instead.

This still gets you everything I listed above, except for the Dawn spell, Extended Death Ward, and the Lucky feat.

diplomancer
2022-06-25, 02:43 PM
Where's the fight? If it's in his castle where he has his lair actions, you will have to grapple him (or otherwise reduce his speed to zero), or he will win by attrition.

Unoriginal
2022-06-25, 02:46 PM
Hello guys, so this is more of a fictional thing because you would never be in a 1v1 situation in a classic campaign but its fun so why not?

So my question is, if you wanted to fight Lord Strahd 1v1 what build would you go?

I thought about an Aasimar Paladin/Cleric build but what are your ideas/takes to this?

Alright I have to clarify, that you will probably cap around level 10-13 ^^

I'd likely go for an Aasimar Monk or Barbarian.

Because that'd make for the most anime fight possible.

Pandreas
2022-06-25, 02:52 PM
I'm sticking with the same answer, just with the levels being Devotion Paladin 8/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5 instead.

This still gets you everything I listed above, except for the Dawn spell, Extended Death Ward, and the Lucky feat.

understandable and ireally like the build idea :)

Pandreas
2022-06-25, 02:53 PM
Where's the fight? If it's in his castle where he has his lair actions, you will have to grapple him (or otherwise reduce his speed to zero), or he will win by attrition.

You decide, wherever you want to. I personaly would prefer it uin the open next to a lake or river with the nightsky above

Pyrophilios
2022-06-25, 03:10 PM
I'm offering a single classed Chronurgy Wizard 10

Spells used: Wall of Force and Sickening Radiance

Have your familiar use Sickening Radiance through your Arcane Abeyance while you confine him through the Wall of Force.
You need to win initiative, but that's pretty easy for a Chronurgy wizard with your Ini enhancements.

Thunderous Mojo
2022-06-25, 03:13 PM
Any Cleric with the Symbol of Ravenkind, has a good chance.
The 5e version, is very strong.

Cleric of Twilight is also well positioned.
See Invisibility and Faerie Fire are good spells for detecting and marking Strahd, throughout their myriad of forms.

Twilight Sanctuary ends Strahd’s Charm ability.
Spirit Guardians discourages Strahd from making strafe-ing melee attacks.

Unoriginal
2022-06-25, 07:40 PM
You decide, wherever you want to. I personaly would prefer it uin the open next to a lake or river with the nightsky above

Oh, in that case:

Karva Oslo, Solar Mayhem

Scourge Aasimar Zealot Barbarian 10/Battle Master Fighter 3

STR 16 (15+1), DEX 16 (14+2), CON 14 (13+1), INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 10 (8+2)

HPs: 119 (12+63+18+26)

AC: 15

Background: Athlete

Fighting style: Unarmed

ASIs: +2 DEX, Skill Expert (double proficiency in Athletics, +1 STR)

Ability check: STR (Athletics) +13

Maneuvers: Grappling Strike

Equipment: Nothing but wrestling clothes

The fight:

With +3 to Dex with advantage (thanks to Feral Instinct), Karva here is likely to beat Strahd's +4, to see who goes first.

Karva immediately Rages, charges at the vampire and attempt a Grapple. It's +13 with advantages vs her opponent's +4, so likely to succeed. Then between Fast Movement, Instinctive Pounce and Action Surge, Karva likely has enough movement to drag the immortal ruler of Barovia into the river with her, using her Action Surge to activate Radiant Consumption.

Now, Karva can't hurt the vampire with the bludgeoning damage from her unarmed strikes, but she can hurt him with the Radiant Consumption damages (both sources), plus the Divine Fury damages, plus the grappling damage from Unarmed, plus the keeping-a-vampire-in-running-water damages, which averages to ~50 damages per round.

Strahd having 144 HPs, he's toast in 3 rounds if Karva can keeps him in the river for that long.

Given that using Polymorph to break the grappling isn't likely to work (as the transformed options are all vulnerable to the Barbarian just hitting them, making the Concentration droping to be likely and making Strahd open for a Grappling Strike), and that the vampire Charm is also unlikely to work, Strahd would need to destroy the Aasimar with raw damage before it happens to him.

I may have miscalculated, but I don't think he can do it in 3 rounds.

So, von Zarovich tries to wrestle with a miniature sun, underwater. And dies.

Anyone wants to check out the maths to make sure?

diplomancer
2022-06-26, 01:35 AM
Oh, in that case:

Karva Oslo, Solar Mayhem

Scourge Aasimar Zealot Barbarian 10/Battle Master Fighter 3

STR 16 (15+1), DEX 16 (14+2), CON 14 (13+1), INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 10 (8+2)

HPs: 119 (12+63+18+26)

AC: 15

Background: Athlete

Fighting style: Unarmed

ASIs: +2 DEX, Skill Expert (double proficiency in Athletics, +1 STR)

Ability check: STR (Athletics) +13

Maneuvers: Grappling Strike

Equipment: Nothing but wrestling clothes

The fight:

With +3 to Dex with advantage (thanks to Feral Instinct), Karva here is likely to beat Strahd's +4, to see who goes first.

Karva immediately Rages, charges at the vampire and attempt a Grapple. It's +13 with advantages vs her opponent's +4, so likely to succeed. Then between Fast Movement, Instinctive Pounce and Action Surge, Karva likely has enough movement to drag the immortal ruler of Barovia into the river with her, using her Action Surge to activate Radiant Consumption.

Now, Karva can't hurt the vampire with the bludgeoning damage from her unarmed strikes, but she can hurt him with the Radiant Consumption damages (both sources), plus the Divine Fury damages, plus the grappling damage from Unarmed, plus the keeping-a-vampire-in-running-water damages, which averages to ~50 damages per round.

Strahd having 144 HPs, he's toast in 3 rounds if Karva can keeps him in the river for that long.

Given that using Polymorph to break the grappling isn't likely to work (as the transformed options are all vulnerable to the Barbarian just hitting them, making the Concentration droping to be likely and making Strahd open for a Grappling Strike), and that the vampire Charm is also unlikely to work, Strahd would need to destroy the Aasimar with raw damage before it happens to him.

I may have miscalculated, but I don't think he can do it in 3 rounds.

I'd say your odds are better if you get Res (wis) instead of Skill Expert (and ask your DM to use Tasha's adjusted ASIs). With only a +1 to your wis saves, you are unlikely to succeed on the Charm even with the Zealot reroll. Meanwhile, a +7 Athletics with Advantage against a +4 is very good odds, specially since you can try it twice on a turn.

Unoriginal
2022-06-26, 04:15 AM
I'd say your odds are better if you get Res (wis) instead of Skill Expert (and ask your DM to use Tasha's adjusted ASIs). With only a +1 to your wis saves, you are unlikely to succeed on the Charm even with the Zealot reroll. Meanwhile, a +7 Athletics with Advantage against a +4 is very good odds, specially since you can try it twice on a turn.

Good point. Thanks!

Angelalex242
2022-06-27, 12:15 AM
Level 13 Devotion Paladin.

...Seriously, just smite him to death.

animorte
2022-06-27, 12:48 AM

My party would like a word with you. We find 1v1s in the most unexpected scenarios. Between 3 of us switching out as DM, we always find a way. But then I guess we don't run classic campaigns often.

Damon_Tor
2022-06-27, 12:13 PM
Human. Level irrelevant. Vistani background. Then I just leave.

ATHATH
2022-06-27, 12:18 PM

IIRC, Strahd has a legendary action that lets him move 20 ft. without provoking any opportunity attacks- are you sure he can't use that to just automatically break free of your grapple every turn?

I also don't see any sources of flight on that build- are you sure that Strahd can't just hover 40 ft. in the air and spam dominate attempts at you/wait out your rage?

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-27, 01:27 PM
IIRC, Strahd has a legendary action that lets him move 20 ft. without provoking any opportunity attacks- are you sure he can't use that to just automatically break free of your grapple every turn? No, mechanically he's still using his movement.
It isn't fly, it isn't misty step, it isn't teleport.
It's an additional move kinda like cunning action for a rogue or step of the wind for a monk, or that withdraw 15' for the Scout Rogue.

animorte
2022-06-27, 02:09 PM
Either way, the movement doesn't eliminate the fact that he's already grappled. Now, if he were to break free then make a move, they would have no opportunity to make an attack roll for another grapple attempt. Unless of course he gets his movement all the while being grappled. Imagine a kid riding on your foot as you try to walk.

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-06-27, 02:45 PM
So my question is. What determines our gear, stats? Because I have a character who I would happily pit 1 v 1 against Strahd, but I don't know how "Fair" they are.

First I have Amergin Kholin, Level 6 Oath of the Crown Paladin, Level 7 Hexblade Pact of the Blade Warlock.
Str: 13, Dex: 16, Con: 16, Int: 11, Wis: 15, Cha: 20 (Rolled stats, aware that puts him higher, were rolled in front of group)
AC: 23, HP: 118
Feats: Medium Armor Master, Shield Master
Fighting Style: Defensive
Warlock Invocations: Improved Pact Blade, Agonizing Blast, Ghostly Gaze, Beguiling Influence
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation
Warlock Spells: Banishment, Sickening Radiance, Thunder Step, Counterspell, Spiderclimb, Invisibility, Armor of Agythys, Shield
Paladin Spells: Compelled Dual, Command, Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith, Warding Bond, Lesser Restoration, Zone of Truth, Rest aren't important for this.
Spell Slots: 1: 4, 2: 2, 3:0, 4:2
Unique Equipment: Halfplate +1, Cloak of Protection +1, Spellguard Shield, Soras

Soras is an intelligent Longsword +1, Deals +1d6 Radiant Damage against Undead and Fiends. 2/Day can cast Locate Object. Acts as a focus for Eldritch Blast, allowing it's additional Radiant Damage and it's attack and damage bonus to be applied to the Cantrip.

No idea if he'd win, but I'd feel confident making the fight. AC 23 with the option for 28 up to 4 rounds of combat. Advantage against all his spellcasting, worst save is +6 on Intelligence. With Hexblade Curse his close melee is likely a single attack with Booming Blade for +11, so he hits on a 5 or better. Damage is 1d8+11 Slashing+1d6 Radiant+2d8 Thunder with a bonus action Shove. Strahd either then has to move and take 3d8 more Thunder damage or choose to keep range and rely on Spells, which again, worst save is a +6 on top of Advantage, I don't recall if Strahd even has spells that target Int. If he keeps his range then we just shift to Eldritch Blast so we start taking 3 attacks at +11 for 1d10+11 Force+1d6 Radiant.

Now admittedly, Soras is a powerful weapon the DM built for their campaign world and gave me. But the Spellguard shield is a realistic item for a front liner to have at level 13, same with the Cloak and Armor. So taking away the Magic sword we're only losing 1d6 damage and a +1 to hit with Eldritch Blast.

follacchioso
2022-06-27, 02:54 PM
No idea if he'd win, but I'd feel confident making the fight. AC 23 with the option for 28 up to 4 rounds of combat. You'd need Warcaster to cast Shield while holding a shield and a weapon.

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-27, 03:28 PM
Either way, the movement doesn't eliminate the fact that he's already grappled. Now, if he were to break free then make a move, they would have no opportunity to make an attack roll for another grapple attempt. Unless of course he gets his movement all the while being grappled. Imagine a kid riding on your foot as you try to walk. IIRC, Strahd is a vampire and Vampires have 18 STR, so their chance to break a grapple is decent. Or, they can charm the grappler into letting them go ... :smallbiggrin:

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-06-27, 04:57 PM
You'd need Warcaster to cast Shield while holding a shield and a weapon.

Improved Pact Weapon treats your Pactblade as an Arcane Focus. The character's iconic weapon is 100% bonded to them as their Pact Blade. Hexblade Warlocks only want Warcaster if they want the Cantrip as AoO option.

IIRC, Strahd is a vampire and Vampires have 18 STR, so their chance to break a grapple is decent. Or, they can charm the grappler into letting them go ... :smallbiggrin:

Confirmed he has an 18 Str. Also if it was a major issue, takes 2 rounds but mistform gives Advantage on Str checks (Among other things).

diplomancer
2022-06-28, 04:58 AM
Improved Pact Weapon treats your Pactblade as an Arcane Focus. The character's iconic weapon is 100% bonded to them as their Pact Blade. Hexblade Warlocks only want Warcaster if they want the Cantrip as AoO option.

It's not about the weapon being an Arcane Focus; Shield is a V,S spell, so whether the weapon is an Arcane Focus or not is irrelevant. I personally think this is horribly fiddly, and slows the game down more than it's worth, but the interpretation IS confirmed on Sage Advice Compendium.

Confirmed he has an 18 Str. Also if it was a major issue, takes 2 rounds but mistform gives Advantage on Str checks (Among other things).

He can't Shapechange into mist if he's in water or sunlight; if he could, I'd already rule as that breaking the grapple, no need to attempt it later.

Level 13 Devotion Paladin.

...Seriously, just smite him to death.

That's probably the simplest and most effective choice, specially if magic weapons are not a given; between your flying steed and your high str, you are probably able to grab Strahd and keep him grabbed while you smite him to death. At level 13 you are also probably already rocking an awesome Wis save, so you don't even need to be Devotion, specially if you're a Race with Fey Ancestry. Devotion would still be the best choice if you can't have a magic weapon because of his Channel Divinity, but otherwise some other Paladins could be a better choice. Oath of the Watchers has Counterspell, which might come in very handy.

Another simple one is any Cleric. Strahd, at least by the book, can't fly (well, he can, as a bat, but it's a pretty bad shape for combat. He can't speak, which means most spells are out-all of the spells on his statblock, in fact- and his only attack form is the Bite, which he can't use against the Celestial, as Angel Boy won't be willing, grappled or incapacitated). So summon a Celestial with a level 6 slot and let him just kill Strahd with his Radiant Bow from a distance, while you ride the Celestial, keeping it alive, using your Spiritual Weapon as a bonus action and casting Sacred Flame with your action, with the occasional Guiding Bolt.

You can do something similar with Wizard and Warlock with Summon Fiend, but unless you find another way to deal Radiant damage to Strahd, Summon Celestial will be a better choice, as it already nullifies the regeneration. A Valor Bard could do something similar, with Summon Celestial AND Find Greater Steed (if DM absolutely insists you can't ride your Celestial) AND Sharpshooter. Strahd's AC sucks!

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-06-28, 11:51 AM
It's not about the weapon being an Arcane Focus; Shield is a V,S spell, so whether the weapon is an Arcane Focus or not is irrelevant. I personally think this is horribly fiddly, and slows the game down more than it's worth, but the interpretation IS confirmed on Sage Advice Compendium.

Can you quote, because everything I can find says it's fine. Either way I'm not concerned, 23 AC is still 23 AC, just means he can use up the 1st level slots forcing Compelled Dual onto the fight.

But looking at the official rules they say:

"Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to access a spell's material components -- or to hold a spellcasting focus -- but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components."

Bold emphasis there. You must have a free hand but it can be the same hand holding the spellcasting focus. With Improved Pact weapon makes your weapon your spellcasting focus. Either way I'm not concerned, 23 AC is still 23 AC, just means he can use up the 1st level slots forcing Compelled Dual onto the fight.

He can't Shapechange into mist if he's in water or sunlight; if he could, I'd already rule as that breaking the grapple, no need to attempt it later.

There's plenty of ways to lock him down and even a +4 strength isn't going to guarantee anything, was just acknowledging the stats and options at the time. :)

diplomancer
2022-06-28, 12:33 PM
Can you quote, because everything I can find says it's fine. Either way I'm not concerned, 23 AC is still 23 AC, just means he can use up the 1st level slots forcing Compelled Dual onto the fight.

But looking at the official rules they say:

"Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to access a spell's material components -- or to hold a spellcasting focus -- but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components."

Bold emphasis there. You must have a free hand but it can be the same hand holding the spellcasting focus. With Improved Pact weapon makes your weapon your spellcasting focus. Either way I'm not concerned, 23 AC is still 23 AC, just means he can use up the 1st level slots forcing Compelled Dual onto the fight.

So, the rule you quoted is about material components, and material components only. It has no effect on a spell that does not need material components.

For spells with somatic components, the following rule applies:

If a spell requires a somatic component, the caster must have free use of at least one hand to perform these gestures.

This interpretation, I.e, that you don't need a free hand for a spell with S,M components if you're holding your spell focus, but DO need a freehand for spells with only S, is confirmed in Sage Advice Compendium, here:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/sac/sage-advice-compendium#SA165

Special Emphasis to the last paragraph:
"If the same cleric casts cure wounds, she needs to put the mace or the shield away, because that spell doesn’t have a material component but does have a somatic component. She’s going to need a free hand to make the spell’s gestures. If she had the War Caster feat, she could ignore this restriction."

As I've said, I think this is a bad rule. But it definitely IS the rule, you cannot apply the rule for spells with Material components (which is the rule you've quoted) for a spell that does not have Material components in the first place.

But I admit that, in my experience, no DM I know rules it this way; which is why it's a bad rule.

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-06-28, 01:50 PM
This interpretation, I.e, that you don't need a free hand for a spell with S,M components if you're holding your spell focus, but DO need a freehand for spells with only S, is confirmed in Sage Advice Compendium, here:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/sac/sage-advice-compendium#SA165

Special Emphasis to the last paragraph:
"If the same cleric casts cure wounds, she needs to put the mace or the shield away, because that spell doesn’t have a material component but does have a somatic component. She’s going to need a free hand to make the spell’s gestures. If she had the War Caster feat, she could ignore this restriction."

As I've said, I think this is a bad rule. But it definitely IS the rule, you cannot apply the rule for spells with Material components (which is the rule you've quoted) for a spell that does not have Material components in the first place.

But I admit that, in my experience, no DM I know rules it this way; which is why it's a bad rule.

I learn something new. Well, that's now a houserule at my table. :)

That said, sticking to RAW for sake of ease, that's cool, means I have a 23 AC and can spam Compelled Duel with a 50% chance of success if he tries to flee outright.

1Pirate
2022-06-28, 02:40 PM
So, I the think the parameters of this fight are sketchy because you’ve really put your thumb on the scale to favor the PC. For starters, CoS runs until level 10, a level 13 build is way over-leveled for Strahd’s RAW design.

Then allowing a source of running water on hand is giving Strahd a one-sided environmental hazard.

I realize this is a hypothetical, but as given, the question is basically “How would you fight Strahd if he didn’t have any of his special powers?”

On a meta-level, Strahd is notorious for being weak in a straight up fight. He’s pretty much the spellcaster variant of the MM vampire with a slightly tweaked spell list and able to deal necrotic damage on his unarmed strikes(spell DC is a little higher too). The main challenges he poses are through his lair actions(and theoretically the DM playing him as intelligently as possible).

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-06-28, 02:45 PM
So, I the think the parameters of this fight are sketchy because you’ve really put your thumb on the scale to favor the PC. For starters, CoS runs until level 10, a level 13 build is way over-leveled for Strahd’s RAW design.

Then allowing a source of running water on hand is giving Strahd a one-sided environmental hazard.

I realize this is a hypothetical, but as given, the question is basically “How would you fight Strahd if he didn’t have any of his special powers?”

On a meta-level, Strahd is notorious for being weak in a straight up fight. He’s pretty much the spellcaster variant of the MM vampire with a slightly tweaked spell list and able to deal necrotic damage on his unarmed strikes(spell DC is a little higher too). The main challenges he poses are through his lair actions(and theoretically the DM playing him as intelligently as possible).

Don't fully agree, the running water is definitely something you'd have to set up. I ignored the option in my case because I assumed the fight was in the castle.

But level 13 isn't really a stretch, after all, it's meant for FOUR level 10 PCs.

I don't know about you, but my Level 13 Paladin/Lock up there is NOT a match for a party of 4 10th level characters, but he MIGHT be able to stand toe to toe against Strahd.

diplomancer
2022-06-28, 02:52 PM
If Strahd is in his castle, you can't win without grappling or otherwise reducing his speed to zero. One Lair Action in particular (no spoilers) ensures that he can always escape, regenerate, and come back. You will also need some sort of sunlight or running water, or alternatively the Sentinel feat, to prevent him from turning into mist when grappled and moving away, repeating the tactic (even the Sentinel feat is a bit risky, since you can miss on your opportunity attacks, and then he goes back to full health before starting it all over again. It's going to be a torturously long fight, but Strahd will probably win. That's why it usually takes a party).

If he's in the open and not in his lair, he loses to fly+Radiant ranged attacks, and you don't need a lake. And if it's also at night, as suggested before, a Twilight Cleric absolutely curbstomps him, as the Cleric can not only attack from range, but he (and his summoned Celestial) will be attacking from beyond Strahd's Darkvision.

1Pirate
2022-06-28, 03:30 PM
Don't fully agree, the running water is definitely something you'd have to set up. I ignored the option in my case because I assumed the fight was in the castle.

But level 13 isn't really a stretch, after all, it's meant for FOUR level 10 PCs.

I don't know about you, but my Level 13 Paladin/Lock up there is NOT a match for a party of 4 10th level characters, but he MIGHT be able to stand toe to toe against Strahd.

The issue is that in a later post the OP allowed for the choice of the fight taking place outside next to a river, which without spoilers, gives the player a bigger advantage.

Level 13 is a stretch for a module that explicitly states it's for characters 1-10, meaning the DM should have ended the campaign already. You're build would easily annihilate him(the only issue it has is that it triggers Misty Escape instead of outright killing him, but that's still pretty much a win). And somewhat irrelevant because even if you knocked the build you posted down to 10th level I think you'd be able to solo him without much difficulty.

I maybe should have made this point outside the spoiler tags, but the issue is that RAW Strahd is notorious for not being a challenge for 10th level players(even with his abilities) in a straight up fight. I don't think I can go into it without spoilers, but even a single 10th level PC could easily solo Strahd with the right build(and could manage it even with the wrong build).

Unoriginal
2022-06-29, 07:24 AM

But it's a lvl 13 alone, compared to the several lvl 10 adventurers the module assumes.

The issue is that in a later post the OP allowed for the choice of the fight taking place outside next to a river, which without spoilers, gives the player a bigger advantage.

The river is a big advantage indeed.

I maybe should have made this point outside the spoiler tags, but the issue is that RAW Strahd is notorious for not being a challenge for 10th level players(even with his abilities) in a straight up fight. I don't think I can go into it without spoilers, but even a single 10th level PC could easily solo Strahd with the right build(and could manage it even with the wrong build).

Action economy is a huge factor here. 4 lvl 10 PCs are much, much stronger than a single lvl 13 PC, even with Legendary or Lair actions.

That being said, if you have a build can solo Strahd at lvl 10 (be it the "right build" or the "wrong build" that can still manage it you mentioned), I'm very interested in seeing it. I tried to do it but I didn't found any way to survive the vampire's damage output long enough to kill him.

Also I don't think anyone here would have issues with CoS spoilers.

Pyrophilios
2022-06-29, 09:04 AM
I'm offering a single classed Chronurgy Wizard 10

Spells used: Wall of Force and Sickening Radiance

Have your familiar use Sickening Radiance through your Arcane Abeyance while you confine him through the Wall of Force.
You need to win initiative, but that's pretty easy for a Chronurgy wizard with your Ini enhancements.

@Unoriginal
I posted just such a build.
Works with any wizard if you have access to a spell storing ring

diplomancer
2022-06-29, 10:52 AM
But it's a lvl 13 alone, compared to the several lvl 10 adventurers the module assumes.

The river is a big advantage indeed.

Action economy is a huge factor here. 4 lvl 10 PCs are much, much stronger than a single lvl 13 PC, even with Legendary or Lair actions.

That being said, if you have a build can solo Strahd at lvl 10 (be it the "right build" or the "wrong build" that can still manage it you mentioned), I'm very interested in seeing it. I tried to do it but I didn't found any way to survive the vampire's damage output long enough to kill him.

Also I don't think anyone here would have issues with CoS spoilers.

Well, that would depend on the terrain, no? If it's an open field, any Cleric can beat him (drive him to zero HP), and Twilight Cleric (or another Cleric with Moonbeam, I'm not sure that exists) can kill him.
If it's at his castle, I think it will be very hard to defeat him without a source of daylight or running water.

I think for the Arcane Abeyance trick with the familiar to work, not only you have to win initiative (likely), but also your Familiar (less likely). Otherwise you will either cast Wall of Force First but then you can't cast Sickening Radiance inside the Wall, or you have to hold your action with Wall of Force and wait for your Familiar to cast Sickening Radiance, but if you try that, Strahd is going to kill your Familiar before he can cast it. You will then cast Wall of Force and both you and Strahd will stare at each other for 10 minutes; you'd better use those 10 minutes to run away.

Gignere
2022-06-29, 11:22 AM
Well, that would depend on the terrain, no? If it's an open field, any Cleric can beat him (drive him to zero HP), and Twilight Cleric (or another Cleric with Moonbeam, I'm not sure that exists) can kill him.
If it's at his castle, I think it will be very hard to defeat him without a source of daylight or running water.

I think for the Arcane Abeyance trick with the familiar to work, not only you have to win initiative (likely), but also your Familiar (less likely). Otherwise you will either cast Wall of Force First but then you can't cast Sickening Radiance inside the Wall, or you have to hold your action with Wall of Force and wait for your Familiar to cast Sickening Radiance, but if you try that, Strahd is going to kill your Familiar before he can cast it. You will then cast Wall of Force and both you and Strahd will stare at each other for 10 minutes; you'd better use those 10 minutes to run away.

If it is at level 13 you don’t even need AA just use contingency to cast wall of force and regular action to cast Mordenkainen’s Hound. So the best wizards to do this are diviners, chronurgists, and war wizards. Remember to grab a weapon of warning, alert feat, lucky feat, win initiative and win.

Edit: may have to use contingency to cast faithful hound instead of wall of force, but should work, because of the spell must target you restriction but faithful hound should work because it doesn’t target anything.

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-06-29, 12:07 PM
If it is at level 13 you don’t even need AA just use contingency to cast wall of force and regular action to cast Mordenkainen’s Hound. So the best wizards to do this are diviners, chronurgists, and war wizards. Remember to grab a weapon of warning, alert feat, lucky feat, win initiative and win.

Edit: may have to use contingency to cast faithful hound instead of wall of force, but should work, because of the spell must target you restriction but faithful hound should work because it doesn’t target anything.

Utterly cheese aspect to discuss but... Strahd can walk through Walls and Floors if we're in castle.

Does Wall of Force go through floors and such? If so, how far down did you set it, cause he can still just drop down into the floor.

Next question, does sickening radiance go through walls?

I'm more playing Devil's Advocate Munchkin than anything, I don't disagree with the Wall of Force strategy since you could just wait for him to fly or place it right.

diplomancer
2022-06-29, 01:04 PM

You can't use contingency for Faithful Hound, unless you want it to attack you. Even if you could, Strahd will regenerate every round more than the hound will dish out.

Utterly cheese aspect to discuss but... Strahd can walk through Walls and Floors if we're in castle.

Does Wall of Force go through floors and such? If so, how far down did you set it, cause he can still just drop down into the floor.

I'm more playing Devil's Advocate Munchkin than anything, I don't disagree with the Wall of Force strategy since you could just wait for him to fly or place it right.

That's what I was trying to obliquely allude to. I'd say most of these questions about wall of force are up to the DM, specially the floor thing. I don't think sickening radiance could go under the floor, though.

Assuming that Strahd CAN escape through the floor, I'd imagine that a Shadar-Kai Twilight Cleric is probably the best bet; he can fly, he has a source of Sunlight with the Dawn spell, he has high Wis saves (and resistance to charm), he has resistance to necrotic damage, all he needs is a consistent way to grapple Strahd, but this is quite doable through expertise, and he can even dip Barbarian for the Advantage. Then it's mostly a matter of math to see who prevails, but I'm guessing it's advantage Cleric.

Gignere
2022-06-29, 03:39 PM

The OP’s encounter with Strahd is outside the castle. So no going through walls or floors. Even in the castle you can make the wall of force into a sphere. That will encompass both the hound and Strahd.

Gignere
2022-06-29, 03:42 PM
You can't use contingency for Faithful Hound, unless you want it to attack you. Even if you could, Strahd will regenerate every round more than the hound will dish out.

That's what I was trying to obliquely allude to. I'd say most of these questions about wall of force are up to the DM, specially the floor thing. I don't think sickening radiance could go under the floor, though.

Assuming that Strahd CAN escape through the floor, I'd imagine that a Shadar-Kai Twilight Cleric is probably the best bet; he can fly, he has a source of Sunlight with the Dawn spell, he has high Wis saves (and resistance to charm), he has resistance to necrotic damage, all he needs is a consistent way to grapple Strahd, but this is quite doable through expertise, and he can even dip Barbarian for the Advantage. Then it's mostly a matter of math to see who prevails, but I'm guessing it's advantage Cleric.

The hound doesn’t target anything it attacks anyone without the password. Anyway I think RAW it works, also the hound does an average of 22 damage a round Strahd regens 20 so the hound can kill it eventually. But the wall of force lasts 10 minutes and the hound lasts 8 hours. Should be enough time to kill Strahd and when he’s knocked down to 0, you drop wall of force and chill touch his ass to kill him.

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-29, 03:42 PM
Don't fully agree, the running water is definitely something you'd have to set up. Let's see, drink a twelve pack of Miller before the battle, gonna have to pee, running water provided! :smallbiggrin:

diplomancer
2022-06-29, 04:06 PM
The hound doesn’t target anything it attacks anyone without the password. Anyway I think RAW it works, also the hound does an average of 22 damage a round Strahd regens 20 so the hound can kill it eventually. But the wall of force lasts 10 minutes and the hound lasts 8 hours. Should be enough time to kill Strahd and when he’s knocked down to 0, you drop wall of force and chill touch his ass to kill him.

The hound will not work for Contingency. The contingency spell can only affect you. But even if it did:
1- its average damage is 18
2- it has to hit first, there will be rounds where he won't, specially if Strahd dodges.
3- DM's adjudication required, but I believe Strahd resists its damage; it's no different from Conjure Animals, Summon Fey, or Animate objects.

Pyrophilios
2022-06-29, 04:29 PM
You can form wall of force as a full sphere or six panels. Just form a box with the lower side below the soles of his feet - no hiding in the floor.
Strahd has no teleport spells, so he can't escape. Nothing physical can pass through, but sickening radiance isn't physical - it's radiation, so it can pass through the invisible force field (after all other light can pass through too) - but even if the GM says that it's effect can not pass through the force field, you still can have your familiar ready an action to trigger the spell as soon as you start casting Wall of Force. Since it's a reaction, SR takes effect before the wall goes up.

diplomancer
2022-06-29, 05:11 PM
You can form wall of force as a full sphere or six panels. Just form a box with the lower side below the soles of his feet - no hiding in the floor.
Strahd has no teleport spells, so he can't escape. Nothing physical can pass through, but sickening radiance isn't physical - it's radiation, so it can pass through the invisible force field (after all other light can pass through too) - but even if the GM says that it's effect can not pass through the force field, you still can have your familiar ready an action to trigger the spell as soon as you start casting Wall of Force. Since it's a reaction, SR takes effect before the wall goes up.

Well, if your Familiar gets a preliminary round to ready an Action, shouldn't Strahd get one too? He readies an action to Fireball your familiar when it begins to cast Sickening Radiance. As Wall of Force hasn't gone through yet (or Sickening Radiance wouldn't work at all), familiar gets Fireballed (whether before or after it casts the spell is irrelevant). Now you have 10 minutes to run away from Strahd.

And this is before comparing Strahd's +14 Stealth to your Perception. You may win initiative, but what if Strahd gets a surprise round? Yes, Weapon of Warning would deal with that, but I'm not sure Magic Items, specially chosen Magic Items which don't exist in the module, are assumed here
(Fun fact; I recently finished playing Curse of Strahd, and as I joined the group at level 6, DM gave me a choice of an uncommon magic item; big mistake! I chose a Lance of Warning, and lost count how many times I said "we can't be surprised" on that campaign!).

Gignere
2022-06-29, 10:37 PM
The hound will not work for Contingency. The contingency spell can only effect you. But even if it did:
1- its average damage is 18
2- it has to hit first, there will be rounds where he won't, specially if Strahd dodges.
3- DM's adjudication required, but I believe Strahd resists its damage; it's no different from Conjure Animals, Summon Fey, or Animate objects.

1. The hound is invisible so it has advantage. The average DPR is about 20 assuming a plus 9 to hit, it will be higher if you have anything that increase spell attack. With critical it will bring it to about 23-24.
2. It can also crit so rounds that it crits it can go far ahead.
3. I don’t think it is a creature, at least the spell doesn’t say it’s a creature, so it’s more like spiritual weapon or spiked growth and it’s damage should be magical as it is piercing damage caused by a spell.

Pyrophilios
2022-06-29, 11:38 PM
Well, if your Familiar gets a preliminary round to ready an Action, shouldn't Strahd get one too? He readies an action to Fireball your familiar when it begins to cast Sickening Radiance. As Wall of Force hasn't gone through yet (or Sickening Radiance wouldn't work at all), familiar gets Fireballed (whether before or after it casts the spell is irrelevant). Now you have 10 minutes to run away from Strahd.

And this is before comparing Strahd's +14 Stealth to your Perception. You may win initiative, but what if Strahd gets a surprise round? Yes, Weapon of Warning would deal with that, but I'm not sure Magic Items, specially chosen Magic Items which don't exist in the module, are assumed here
(Fun fact; I recently finished playing Curse of Strahd, and as I joined the group at level 6, DM gave me a choice of an uncommon magic item; big mistake! I chose a Lance of Warning, and lost count how many times I said "we can't be surprised" on that campaign!).

That is stretching the terms of this contest. If the GM chooses to play Strahd to the hilt of his abilities, you will be hard pressed to actually engage him, instead of him hiding and sending endless waves of wolves.
I am assuming villainous banter before hostilities commence - enough time to give telepathic instructions to your familiar.

Hecuba
2022-06-30, 12:11 AM
If Strahd is in his castle, you can't win without grappling or otherwise reducing his speed to zero. One Lair Action in particular (no spoilers) ensures that he can always escape, regenerate, and come back. You will also need some sort of sunlight or running water, or alternatively the Sentinel feat, to prevent him from turning into mist when grappled and moving away, repeating the tactic (even the Sentinel feat is a bit risky, since you can miss on your opportunity attacks, and then he goes back to full health before starting it all over again. It's going to be a torturously long fight, but Strahd will probably win. That's why it usually takes a party).

I know of one more notable option to deal with the lair action in question: if you can incapacitate him for a hair longer than 1 minute, you can magic circle him. The cylinder trap prevents escape, even through the bottom or top. Strahd does not normally have any teleportation spells prepared, he can't take the Charisma save to get out. If you recast it twice to keep it from expiring, you can wait out the two hour limit of misty escape.

In practice, the difficulty is getting the initial incapacitation to stick. Most of the options that have the desired effect (banishment, hold monster, etc) have exactly a 1 minute duration - which means he has a round to move out once he gets back in the fight.

Since we're considering level 13, Forcecage is deals with that safely for Wizards, Bards, and Warlocks.

To pull this strategy online earlier, a Divine Soul Sorcerer can pull it off with Extended Spell and Banishment or Hold Monster if you can eat through the legendary resistances and beat the save.

At that point, you can cantrip Mr. Creepy-Doesn't-Understand-Concent-Vampire-Face to death and wait out the 2 years,

diplomancer
2022-06-30, 01:24 AM
That is stretching the terms of this contest. If the GM chooses to play Strahd to the hilt of his abilities, you will be hard pressed to actually engage him, instead of him hiding and sending endless waves of wolves.
I am assuming villainous banter before hostilities commence - enough time to give telepathic instructions to your familiar.

I'm assuming Strahd knows as much about your build as you know about his. So there WOULD be villainous banter; after he surprised you and killed your familiar ;)

I'm definitely not assuming a fair fight. As has been pointed out, Strahd is pretty weak in a fair fight, so why would he fight fair?

Also, re-reading Strahd's lair actions: Even if you've managed to pull it off, Strahd could still summon a specter to kill your familiar, with reasonable odds of success on that one attack he will get before you dismiss your familiar to his pocket dimension.

I know of one more notable option to deal with the lair action in question: if you can incapacitate him for a hair longer than 1 minute, you can magic circle him. The cylinder trap prevents escape, even through the bottom or top. Strahd does not normally have any teleportation spells prepared, he can't take the Charisma save to get out. If you recast it twice to keep it from expiring, you can wait out the two hour limit of misty escape.

In practice, the difficulty is getting the initial incapacitation to stick. Most of the options that have the desired effect (banishment, hold monster, etc) have exactly a 1 minute duration - which means he has a round to move out once he gets back in the fight.

Since we're considering level 13, Forcecage is deals with that safely for Wizards, Bards, and Warlocks.

To pull this strategy online earlier, a Divine Soul Sorcerer can pull it off with Extended Spell and Banishment or Hold Monster if you can eat through the legendary resistances and beat the save.

At that point, you can cantrip Mr. Creepy-Doesn't-Understand-Concent-Vampire-Face to death and wait out the 2 years,

Well, if you can incapacitate Strahd for longer than a minute, he's probably already lost. You're just one PC, going through his legendary resistances won't be easy.

Furthermore, the moment you start casting Magic Circle, you will lose concentration on whatever spell you used to incapacitate Strahd; casting a spell that takes longer than your action requires concentration.

Incidentally; I'm not being a donnie downer when I criticise other people's possible tactics; I'm trying to figure out how Strahd would respond to them.

My suggested build (basically a Twilight Cleric 12 Rogue1- Cleric's 7th level spells aren't much use here, while Expertise Athletics will give me a +10 to my Grapple before any Str bonus.) does have its weaknesses; Strahd will probably surprise him (though my PP is still decent); initiative-wise we have a +4 vs a +2 with advantage, which sounds to me like advantage to me. But at least he WILL be able to reach Strahd and stop him eventually, so I'd be curious to know other people's thoughts on how Strahd would deal with him, as well as who would win once the slug fest began. But as, even without any action from me, Strahd is taking about 33 points of damage/turn, I resist most of his damage, I get about 15 THP per round, AND I can heal myself, the odds are very much against him.

Here's the Full build I have in mind:
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 15+1 (Res: Con at level 12), Wis 16, Int 8, Cha 8. ASIs are Res: Con, Sentinel (without it hit and run tactics by Strahd will work) and either +2 Wis or Warcaster (I think warcaster is better; you don't care that much whether Strahd makes his Con save or not, but you DO care about not losing Concentration. With a +8 and Advantage, that's not going to happen. Half-Plate + Shield for 19 AC, once you have him grappled and Dawn's on he has a +8 with disadvantage.

I'd say the main question is how much damage Strahd can dish out from a distance before having to get close enough that I can reach him on my turn. There's probably some corners I can stay protected from most of his abilities that require him seeing me, so he'd have to get close enough to use them, as just fireballing me won't be enough to drop me to 0, I believe.

Edit: The more I think about this, the more frustrating fighting Strahd at his castle feels; at a "fair fight", he's a push-over. At an unfair fight, he might be beatable, but it's really hard to counter his best tactics, AND the fight becomes unbelievably long. It feels that, at least in his castle, you really need a party; not so much that otherwise he can beat you, but that it's really hard to beat him.

Pyrophilios
2022-06-30, 11:31 AM
I'm assuming Strahd knows as much about your build as you know about his. So there WOULD be villainous banter; after he surprised you and killed your familiar ;)

I'm definitely not assuming a fair fight. As has been pointed out, Strahd is pretty weak in a fair fight, so why would he fight fair?

Also, re-reading Strahd's lair actions: Even if you've managed to pull it off, Strahd could still summon a specter to kill your familiar, with reasonable odds of success on that one attack he will get before you dismiss your familiar to his pocket dimension.

It's bold to assume Strahd is so omniscent to know all player strategies - especially if it's a strategy they haven't used yet. Strahd can win any fight by just not showing up and staying in the walls.
A spectre attack isn't particularly dangerous - especially if you can force a reroll as a chronurgist. The familiar can at that be well protected also (staying out of sight and placing the Sickening Radiance just next to Strahd without giving him line of sight - because for some reason, Strahd doesn't have blindsight.

diplomancer
2022-06-30, 12:16 PM
It's bold to assume Strahd is so omniscent to know all player strategies - especially if it's a strategy they haven't used yet. Strahd can win any fight by just not showing up and staying in the walls.
A spectre attack isn't particularly dangerous - especially if you can force a reroll as a chronurgist. The familiar can at that be well protected also (staying out of sight and placing the Sickening Radiance just next to Strahd without giving him line of sight - because for some reason, Strahd doesn't have blindsight.

Well, if Strahd doesn't know your strategies (and he's probably been studying you), how would you know HIS strategies? Even if you HAD faced him before, unless you'd done it in his castle, you wouldn't know about Strahd's Lair Actions (which are the most important ones for his tactics). To attack your Familiar first, even before you knew Strahd was there in the first place, all he would need is to know that you're a Chronurgist Wizard, and what they're capable of, which is a quite modest expectation. Heck, even knowing you're a Wizard with a Familiar would be enough, since, as it has been pointed out, any Wizard can do it with a Ring of Spell Storing.

No, I'd say that extreme metagaming, from both sides, is to be expected; if that's not the assumption, then I'd say if anyone should have the Intel advantage, it should be Strahd, as you've presumably been adventuring around in his lands while he sits and broods in his dark castle most of the time: I definitely don't think the assumption should be "I know everything about Strahd, including details like 'Strahd can summon a Specter, but that Specter can only attack a creature that Strahd sees', while Strahd doesn't even know my subclass and what it can do".

But it's not my challenge, except I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to kill him, in an unfair fight (from both sides), in his lair, with no magic items assumed. And the only conclusion I've come to is that it would be an incredibly annoying fight. But I wouldn't call Strahd staying inside the walls a "win" for Strahd; it's a stalemate, and the player has to do something to goad Strahd out of the walls. Maybe start casting Forbiddance all around the castle. Mwahahaha. That should draw him out, because if he doesn't he's toast, and his castle is now an area of Radiant damage to Undead.

The challenge as presented by the opening post, Strahd outside in an open field, even without water, on the other hand, is a curbstomp.

TMac9000
2022-06-30, 12:21 PM
Personally, I’m in favor of a B-61 nuclear gravity bomb set for a 340-kiloton ground burst.

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-30, 12:49 PM
Personally, I’m in favor of a B-61 nuclear gravity bomb set for a 340-kiloton ground burst. There was a time that we used to refer to nuclear depth charges as "a bucket of sunshine" which, given Strahd's problem with sunlight, might be a great weapon against him. Mind you, the cleaning up afterwards is gonna get messy. :smalleek:

Pyrophilios
2022-06-30, 02:11 PM
Well, if Strahd doesn't know your strategies (and he's probably been studying you), how would you know HIS strategies? Even if you HAD faced him before, unless you'd done it in his castle, you wouldn't know about Strahd's Lair Actions (which are the most important ones for his tactics). To attack your Familiar first, even before you knew Strahd was there in the first place, all he would need is to know that you're a Chronurgist Wizard, and what they're capable of, which is a quite modest expectation. Heck, even knowing you're a Wizard with a Familiar would be enough, since, as it has been pointed out, any Wizard can do it with a Ring of Spell Storing.

No, I'd say that extreme metagaming, from both sides, is to be expected; if that's not the assumption, then I'd say if anyone should have the Intel advantage, it should be Strahd, as you've presumably been adventuring around in his lands while he sits and broods in his dark castle most of the time: I definitely don't think the assumption should be "I know everything about Strahd, including details like 'Strahd can summon a Specter, but that Specter can only attack a creature that Strahd sees', while Strahd doesn't even know my subclass and what it can do".

But it's not my challenge, except I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to kill him, in an unfair fight (from both sides), in his lair, with no magic items assumed. And the only conclusion I've come to is that it would be an incredibly annoying fight. But I wouldn't call Strahd staying inside the walls a "win" for Strahd; it's a stalemate, and the player has to do something to goad Strahd out of the walls. Maybe start casting Forbiddance all around the castle. Mwahahaha. That should draw him out, because if he doesn't he's toast, and his castle is now an area of Radiant damage to Undead.

The challenge as presented by the opening post, Strahd outside in an open field, even without water, on the other hand, is a curbstomp.

Well, that's the problem with those white room scenarios, isn't it? You can add complications upon complications in real play - or as the GM just plain say that Strahd can't be defeated. Or that he sends waves of minion against the solo player to kill them before they have a chance to reach him.

If the castle is the problem, you'd start by setting it on fire from the outside (That's in any case the solution my group chose)

Gignere
2022-06-30, 04:02 PM

If the familiar or contingency strategies are not good enough for you to win. A 13 wizard could also show up with a simulacrum and the wizard and simulacrum can be built to win initiative fairly easily (harengon war wizard with Alert and gift of alacrity, plus a weapon of warning) we can still pull off the wall of force and sickening radiance and/or faithful hound combo and technically solos Strahd.

On subsequent turns just use mind spike with both the wizard and simulacrum to further cantrip him to death. When he drops to zero chill touch to GG.

Angelalex242
2022-06-30, 04:02 PM
You're overcomplicating things.

Level 13 Devotion Paladin. Smite the everloving crap out of him with staggering smite and divine smite. You'll blow right through the heart of darkness, which only covers 50 points of damage, and even if he survives to retreat, he won't have the heart of darkness for round 2, and this time he knows getting within a bladelength of you is suicide.