PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [Solved] Primal Companion Attacking Twice?

Cheesegear
2022-06-25, 11:44 PM
Tasha's, Primal Companion
...unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action.

The Ranger takes the Attack action, sacrificing their Attack, to allow their Beast to attack, instead.
The Ranger uses their Bonus Action, commanding their Beast to attack, again.

The Beast attacks twice, using both the Ranger's Action and Bonus Action. Yes or no?

ff7hero
2022-06-26, 12:17 AM
The Beast still only has one Action, right?

Cheesegear
2022-06-26, 05:14 AM
The Beast still only has one Action, right?

...Well that's a definitive answer. I didn't catch that.

Psyren
2022-06-28, 10:29 AM
"You can also" (after the bonus action) reads as additive to me, i.e. two beast attacks in exchange for your bonus action and one of yours.

Damon_Tor
2022-06-28, 11:19 AM
"You can also" (after the bonus action) reads as additive to me, i.e. two beast attacks in exchange for your bonus action and one of yours.

Your command doesn't give the companion an action, it just allows the beast to use its action for something besides dodging.

JonBeowulf
2022-06-28, 01:31 PM
Your command doesn't give the companion an action, it just allows the beast to use its action for something besides dodging.

Agreed. I think "...take another action" should have been worded "...take a different action".

Grod_The_Giant
2022-06-29, 08:02 AM
Same, but "command the beast to take the attack action" (emphasis mine) overpowers it. Both bonus action and attack give the beast a new option for its action, but--as ff7hero pointed out--it only gets one action, same as everything else.

That said, while I think that's both RAW and RAI, I'd be fine with letting the ranger trigger both methods in the same turn to let the beast attack twice (though I might rule that Bestial Fury only applies to the first attack action). Trading one of your attacks for one of your companion's is practically the definition of balance.

Damon_Tor
2022-06-30, 11:39 AM
Same, but "command the beast to take the attack action" (emphasis mine) overpowers it. Both bonus action and attack give the beast a new option for its action, but--as ff7hero pointed out--it only gets one action, same as everything else.

That said, while I think that's both RAW and RAI, I'd be fine with letting the ranger trigger both methods in the same turn to let the beast attack twice (though I might rule that Bestial Fury only applies to the first attack action). Trading one of your attacks for one of your companion's is practically the definition of balance.

It would make you SAD for wisdom. SADer even than most classes because you don't even need to worry about con much, since you can just stay hidden someplace while your beast goes on the adventure for you.