PDA

View Full Version : Masquerade Tattoo for voiceless communication?

Ogun
2022-06-27, 11:39 PM
If you are a wildshaped druid or you have a familiar, or just trying to be quiet,, communication can be difficult.
A Masquerade Tattoo can be changed with a bonus action, and can be located anywhere on your person.
What if you used it to write out your thoughts?
Out of combat time you could keep a constant scroll of information.
In combat , you would need to get people attention and whatever you say better be worth a bonus action.
You could even carry on conversation strictly in code, emoji.
What do yah think?

JackPhoenix
2022-06-28, 06:04 AM
Sure. But:
Can only be changed once per ~6 seconds.
Requires whoever you're trying to communicate with to be literate (may or may not be an issue, depending on a game)
It's limited to the uncovered surface of the character's skin. There's only so much space there, especially as...
It must be readable. Distance and visibility can cause issues, especially if you're sneaking about. It also requires the target of the communication to look at you, which, again, is not always viable during adventuring.

follacchioso
2022-06-28, 09:59 AM
It is a good idea, but some DMs may rule that the Tattoos get merged into the wildshape form, as it may not be practical for the new form to carry a Tattoo as it is.

Slipjig
2022-06-28, 10:34 AM
Also, you'd need to be Wildshaped into a creature that has a fairly large area of bare skin not covered by fur, hair, or scales. Unless you are going to have it appear on your tongue, that excludes a number of the typical choices.

Psyren
2022-06-28, 11:40 AM
I personally think this is a brilliant idea for druid-specific treasure. I've had moon druids scratch shapes (e.g. arrows and check marks) into dirt with their paws, and this would make for even better communication and work even in areas without soft surfaces, like a corridor or the deck of a ship. Great find!

My thoughts:

1) Just because the tattoo is highly mutable doesn't mean it removes the challenges of wildshape communication entirely. The DM can limit you to a couple of words or a single image, and you can still convey a lot with that.

2) I don't see why it would need completely bare skin. Many furry animals have areas with fur that is thinner/easier to see past, such as a canine's belly (especially a female one), that would make for a useful canvas. And if all else fails there's the tongue option that was mentioned.

2) As this is a common magic item, not only can it be made available even to low level parties, but an Artificer can replicate it as early as level 2.

Ogun
2022-06-28, 11:54 AM
Good points!
Almost no familiar forms will work for this, the best ones are covered with feathers.
I think scales are skin, but fur certainly isn't.
For humans, foreheads,cheeks and palms will probably be best.
A glamerweave item might work for this as well,plus we could get a bear in a sweater vest, or a wolf in a ridiculous hat.
Cummerbund, sashes, collars- a collar with a big tag or medallion might be perfect.
Combine with shiftweave to change sizes?
Maybe, but that requires a bonus action, so not worthwhile.
One glamerweave gorget that you give to a familiar so they can communicate might be ideal because it's recoverable...
A jerkin might be even better.
A huge frilled collar would be hilarious.
Giving yourself the tattoo seems versatile.
The tongue as a background is a great idea, usable in many forms.

Sigreid
2022-06-28, 12:09 PM
I'd work out with my friends patterns that mean certain simple messages.

Psyren
2022-06-28, 12:19 PM
Almost no familiar forms will work for this, the best ones are covered with feathers.
I think scales are skin, but fur certainly isn't.

As I mentioned, I disagree that putting a (small) symbol under fur automatically means it is hidden from view. Underbelly and facial fur tends to be fairly thin on dogs for instance.

As for feathered forms, most of those have a pretty useful canvas, i.e. their beak. Even something as simple as adding a color to it can be a means of communication.

Ogun
2022-06-28, 12:57 PM
Psyrem, the beak, so obvious, I should have thought of that!
Also, a furry beast showing its belly to communicate is awesome.