PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed So what psychic powers most closely fit 'the standard action anime' fighting style?

Gavinfoxx
2022-06-28, 01:11 PM
Let's say I wanted to make a psionic homebrew class that acts somewhat like the Beguiler in that it knows all of it's spells. If I really want some plug and play sort of thing, which powers from the Psion, Psychic Warrior, Egoist, Lurk/Psychic Rogue, and similar lists (including Athas and the Dreamscarred Press and Hyperconscious stuff, including the PF1e stuff) should be part of this (or similar, wuxia type, but associated with speed, the use of many attacks, charges, and extreme 3D mobility) fighting style? I want a list of about 20 or so powers, max, of up to 6th level. No obvious transformation, no energy blasts (though energy enveloping of limbs or held weapons is fine), no grapple based moves, no healing (though temporary hit points is encouraged!), no true flight (though double jumping or whatever is fine), just over the top high leaping, super-fast, highly mobile, wall walking, super-durable, possibly precognitive/prescient, unarmed and armed, body empowering, mystic warrior stuff. What are the standouts?

Note: I'm not looking for a build, or classes, or feats, or class features; JUST psionic powers and the sources they are from!

nijineko
2022-06-28, 02:14 PM
Already mentioned elsewhere, but the Master Psionics List has all the official d20 and 3rd edition powers from the entire game.

The qualification requirements for a copy are high, however, and the List does not contain any non official material, so no Dreamscarred e.t.c. stuff.

I realize you are not looking for Class Features, which is a shame since some of those are a perfect fit to your description otherwise.

Powers wise, I do recall that there is a Double Jump power in the Dark Sun Core book (if I recall correctly) from Athas.org. There is also a psionic version of haste, using adrenaline.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-06-28, 03:03 PM
Already mentioned elsewhere, but the Master Psionics List has all the official d20 and 3rd edition powers from the entire game.

The qualification requirements for a copy are high, however, and the List does not contain any non official material, so no Dreamscarred e.t.c. stuff.

I realize you are not looking for Class Features, which is a shame since some of those are a perfect fit to your description otherwise.

Powers wise, I do recall that there is a Double Jump power in the Dark Sun Core book (if I recall correctly) from Athas.org. There is also a psionic version of haste, using adrenaline.How about psionics.info?

nijineko
2022-07-19, 09:09 PM
How about psionics.info?

It is illegal, as it violates copyright due to making publicly available non-OGL content, without permission from WotC/Hasbro.

Even if 3rd edition is more or less abandoned, it is still under copyright (except for those portions that have been released under the OGL, of course).

By comparison, the Master Psionics List requires that all of the originating sources are owned before one may obtain a copy. Thus the information is simply a re-organization of the material they already own.

Remuko
2022-07-19, 10:24 PM
It is illegal, as it violates copyright due to making publicly available non-OGL content, without permission from WotC/Hasbro.

Even if 3rd edition is more or less abandoned, it is still under copyright (except for those portions that have been released under the OGL, of course).

By comparison, the Master Psionics List requires that all of the originating sources are owned before one may obtain a copy. Thus the information is simply a re-organization of the material they already own.

which is a bit silly imo. copyright laws are currently goofy af. but i digress.

H_H_F_F
2022-07-20, 02:21 AM
Is this meant to be a base class or a prc?

If it's a base class, it might run into the risk of feeling a bit like an alternative psychic warrior - unless you have a very clear idea of class features that'd make it unique.

Gavinfoxx
2022-07-20, 08:21 AM
Is this meant to be a base class or a prc?

If it's a base class, it might run into the risk of feeling a bit like an alternative psychic warrior - unless you have a very clear idea of class features that'd make it unique.

The idea is to present this to the player as a simple alternative to Psychic Warrior, as this is exactly what they want and asked for.

H_H_F_F
2022-07-20, 09:16 AM
The idea is to present this to the player as a simple alternative to Psychic Warrior, as this is exactly what they want and asked for.

Cool. For such a small list of powers, the issue here is cutting down, not finding powers. There are plenty that'd be appropriate, but for such a small list you want almost all of them to be decent. here are some that I'd include - they fit the theme and are all pretty useful.

Just to note: 20 powers in total might be a bit too small. I'd think about going up at least a little bit, but up to you and the player.

First level powers:

Vigor, Defensive Precognition

Second level powers:

Hustle (and/or Psionic Lion's Charge), Wall Walker

Third level powers:

Greater Concealing Amorpha (probably fine with the theme?), Mental Barrier.

Fourth level powers:

Schism, Psionic FoM

Fifth level powers:

Anticipatory Strike, Perfect Riposte

Sixth level powers:

Personal Mind blank, Temporal Ecceleration.

You didn't ask about that, but I assume you'll be giving it some fitting class features, too? You could borrow a lot from the monk to get this feel (evasion, speed increase).