PDA

View Full Version : Soul knife question

Bonzai
2022-06-28, 10:50 PM
Quick question. Under the soul knife quick draw ability, it says that you can only manifest a mindblade once per round. The normal move action shaping of mindblades doesn't mention this limit. So can you expend multiple move actions to manifest a mindblade more than once, or are you capped at just once per turn period?

Darg
2022-06-28, 11:41 PM
Quick question. Under the soul knife quick draw ability, it says that you can only manifest a mindblade once per round. The normal move action shaping of mindblades doesn't mention this limit. So can you expend multiple move actions to manifest a mindblade more than once, or are you capped at just once per turn period?

The SRD cuts out a lot of rules text because they were overzealous to not get hit with copyright infringement. The full ability description:

Free Draw (Su): At 5th level, a soulknife becomes able to materialize his mind blade as a free action instead of a move action. He can make only one attempt to materialize the mind blade per round, however (if, for example, he must make a Will save to materialize it within a null psionics field).

As you can see, the once per round is referring to how you can only make one attempt to manifest in a null psionics field or something similar. To clarify, you only make attempts to manifest when under the effect of a NPF or something similar:

Even in places where psionic effects do not normally function (such as within a null psionics field), a soulknife can attempt to sustain his mind blade by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the soulknife maintains his mind blade for a number of rounds equal to his class level before he needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the mind blade vanishes. As a move action on his turn, the soulknife can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize his mind blade while he remains within the psionics-negating effect.

The bolded line is a separate action. The ability works like quickdraw and you can materialize your mindblade as any number of free actions per round.

The Multiple Throw ability is redundant and I recommend ruling it as a standard action or, as a literal read would suggest, as free extra attacks in a round.

Bonzai
2022-06-29, 01:20 PM
Thank you very much for the clarification. I was actually going to use it in an Iajutsu build. My DM ruled that manifesting a mind blade counts as drawing a weapon, so being able to draw, strike, free action dismiss, repeat.

AsuraKyoko
2022-06-29, 02:55 PM
Oh, that's a clever trick! I'm tempted to brew something up using that.

loky1109
2022-06-29, 02:58 PM
Oh, that's a clever trick! I'm tempted to brew something up using that.
Look this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25211195&postcount=23). )

Bonzai
2022-06-29, 07:35 PM
Look this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25211195&postcount=23). )

Ooh, nice link. I will look through it. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought about that combo. I was even going to go with Kalashatar as well, since this would be for Eberron. Lol.