PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife + fey walker multiclass advice

Beefstrider
2022-06-29, 04:32 AM
Hi!
I wanted to pick the brains of you clever people of the playground.

I'm making a tabaxi rogue-soulknife ranger-fey walker multiclass. I think they work well together thematically, and i love the buff to cha skills from fey walker combined with psi bolstered knack.
I know its not the best combo for damage, but our games are a lot about social stuff and investigation and not so much dungeon crawl. 1 combat per 4hr session is normal.
The plan is ranger 5, rogue X. Duelling + thrown weapon fighting style (may dip a lvl into fighter for that, or use a feat) to make the most of 3 attacks. Im also considering 1 level of peace cleric for more skill buffs.

And after that long and boring intro, my question is: Any ideas to make this work more awesomally(not a real word, i know) ?

Thanks!

meandean
2022-06-29, 08:43 AM
That Peace Cleric ability is so bonkers that I'm sure it's optimized to take it whenever you possibly can. Personally, I would not. It does put off your Rogue stuff (including Reliable Talent, the ultimate skill boost), and I think it dilutes your concept. Again, just in terms of making the most powerful character, you should probably take it.

You could take Druidic Warrior fighting style and get guidance, along with magic stone which you can sneak attack with while still carrying a shield. EDIT: Ignore that sentence, forgot you were Soulknife

Beefstrider
2022-06-29, 09:59 AM
That Peace Cleric ability is so bonkers that I'm sure it's optimized to take it whenever you possibly can. Personally, I would not. It does put off your Rogue stuff (including Reliable Talent, the ultimate skill boost), and I think it dilutes your concept.

Thank you for the input.

I've played the character once, and peace cleric actually fits the guy quite well. Hes the esoteric type that thinks we are all brothers and sisters made from the same stardust and we should all really just get along.
But then we found a child-eating monster in the forest and he decided some were probably better off as stardust..

follacchioso
2022-06-29, 10:05 AM
I had a similar multiclass (rogue 5 / ranger 2) and it worked pretty well. Lots of expertise and mobility. Never failed a skill check. He died burned by a phoenix, though.

It could be argued that, from the way the Psy Blades are described, you would not be able to use extra attack with them, as the blade disappears after hitting or missing the target. Clarify this with your DM. In case they say no, you can always use the extra attack to grapple/shove, but it is less effective.

The Duelling style is the priority for this, as the damage bonus applies to all your blade attacks, melee and ranged, ba or not.

The psy blades are a good weapon but there it will be monsters immune to the psychic damage type. Funnily enough, you can't break objects with them! Carry a whip, longbow, sling, and shortsword with you to make sure you can cover all damage types.

Damon_Tor
2022-06-30, 11:58 AM
I had a similar multiclass (rogue 5 / ranger 2) and it worked pretty well. Lots of expertise and mobility. Never failed a skill check. He died burned by a phoenix, though.

It could be argued that, from the way the Psy Blades are described, you would not be able to use extra attack with them, as the blade disappears after hitting or missing the target. Clarify this with your DM. In case they say no, you can always use the extra attack to grapple/shove, but it is less effective.

The Duelling style is the priority for this, as the damage bonus applies to all your blade attacks, melee and ranged, ba or not.

The psy blades are a good weapon but there it will be monsters immune to the psychic damage type. Funnily enough, you can't break objects with them! Carry a whip, longbow, sling, and shortsword with you to make sure you can cover all damage types.

If you're not taking rogue to level 9, there's no good mechanical reason to use the mind blade over another weapon. The bonus action attack is a bad deal compared to using that bonus action to get advantage and stay hidden and very far away with a longbow. If you happen across a weapon-resistant enemy, sure, it's a nice backup. If you have a solid narrative reason ("No weapons inside city gates! Kings orders!") then yeah, there you go. But 90% of the time you would rather use a better weapon and actually be able to use your cunning actions.

Sherlockpwns
2022-07-01, 06:14 PM
If you're not taking rogue to level 9, there's no good mechanical reason to use the mind blade over another weapon. The bonus action attack is a bad deal compared to using that bonus action to get advantage and stay hidden and very far away with a longbow. If you happen across a weapon-resistant enemy, sure, it's a nice backup. If you have a solid narrative reason ("No weapons inside city gates! Kings orders!") then yeah, there you go. But 90% of the time you would rather use a better weapon and actually be able to use your cunning actions.

Hard disagree from me.

The bonus action attack is 1d4+stat+4. In most situations this will be the most effective bonus action; assuming you have a way to add sneak (if not, advantage or hiding is potentially better). This is a pretty big attack, forgoing it is like saying it’s not worth it to use a great axe attack as a bonus action (on avg this is the numerical equivalent of 1d12+stat).

Not saying it’s what you do every single time, but I’d bet on it being the best bonus action 75% of the time or more in combat.

Edit: also not assuming some super strong magic weapon is available.

Bardbarian91
2022-07-01, 06:16 PM
Thank you for the input.

I've played the character once, and peace cleric actually fits the guy quite well. Hes the esoteric type that thinks we are all brothers and sisters made from the same stardust and we should all really just get along.
But then we found a child-eating monster in the forest and he decided some were probably better off as stardust..

I don't know who your character is but I love them for that last sentence.