PDA

View Full Version : Is Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron worth getting?

thorr-kan
2022-06-29, 09:06 AM
With Rising from the Last War and Exploring Eberron both in my possession, there remains the Wayfarer's Guide. Is there any reason to pick it up in addition to the first two?

Amnestic
2022-06-29, 09:08 AM
If you've already got RftLW and EE then I'd say no, there's nothing of sufficient note in WgtE that would make it worth a purchase.

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-29, 11:14 AM
I got WFGTE and then RFTW, the former is now utterly redundant.

x3n0n
2022-06-29, 11:22 AM
With Rising from the Last War and Exploring Eberron both in my possession, there remains the Wayfarer's Guide. Is there any reason to pick it up in addition to the first two?

The only character-construction content I'm aware of that is not replicated in E:RftLW on DnDBeyond are the Aberrant Dragonmark feat and the Aereni/Valenar Elf races.
Aberrant Dragonmark comes up periodically in board builds.

Amnestic
2022-06-29, 11:33 AM
The only character-construction content I'm aware of that is not replicated in E:RftLW on DnDBeyond are the Aberrant Dragonmark feat and the Aereni/Valenar Elf races.
Aberrant Dragonmark comes up periodically in board builds.

The feat is definitely in Rising (page 52), identical in mechanics to the Wayfinder's version.

Wayfinders gives the option for Valenar elves to change their weapon proficiencies (redundant if Tasha's is in play) and for Aereni to trade all their weapon profs out for a skill or tool +expertise in that skill or tool, which isn't replicated in Rising, but I wouldn't exactly call that worth a book-buy (especially because they're "With DM permission" options).

x3n0n
2022-06-29, 11:45 AM
The feat is definitely in Rising (page 52), identical in mechanics to the Wayfinder's version.

Wayfinders gives the option for Valenar elves to change their weapon proficiencies (redundant if Tasha's is in play) and for Aereni to trade all their weapon profs out for a skill or tool +expertise in that skill or tool, which isn't replicated in Rising, but I wouldn't exactly call that worth a book-buy (especially because they're "With DM permission" options).

Thanks for clarifying!

OP has been asking a lot of DnDBeyond-related questions, so I thought I'd mention the difference for the character builder (and I don't own paper for either Rising or Wayfinder's).
That is, Aberrant Dragonmark is not listed as "you can buy this separately" on the purchase page for Rising on DDB. I have been buying piecemeal parts from Rising and don't know whether a blanket purchase of the entire Rising "book" on DDB grants access to it. A.D. *is* listed on the "separately purchasable" page for Wayfinder's, presumably because it is identical to the version in Rising.

Perhaps this is a similar issue to the Environmental Evil Player's Companion spells that are replicated verbatim in Xanathar's; DDB offers them as free options (because EEPC is free for some reason) and lists EEPC as their original source (rather than XGtE).

Agreed that purchasing the whole Wayfinder's makes no sense to me, especially since its preface indicates that all of its content is provisional.
Edited to add: That is, Wayfinder's is unusual in that it feels like it's an entire book of outdated Unearthed Arcana (playtest/provisional material) but you "get" to pay real money for it with the knowledge that many DM's don't consider the content in it accessible because much/most of it was overridden by Rising.

Bardbarian91
2022-06-29, 12:02 PM
Thanks for clarifying!

OP has been asking a lot of DnDBeyond-related questions, so I thought I'd mention the difference for the character builder (and I don't own paper for either Rising or Wayfinder's).
That is, Aberrant Dragonmark is not listed as "you can buy this separately" on the purchase page for Rising on DDB. I have been buying piecemeal parts from Rising and don't know whether a blanket purchase of the entire Rising "book" on DDB grants access to it. A.D. *is* listed on the "separately purchasable" page for Wayfinder's, presumably because it is identical to the version in Rising.

Perhaps this is a similar issue to the Environmental Evil Player's Companion spells that are replicated verbatim in Xanathar's; DDB offers them as free options (because EEPC is free for some reason) and lists EEPC as their original source (rather than XGtE).

Agreed that purchasing the whole Wayfinder's makes no sense to me, especially since its preface indicates that all of its content is provisional.
Edited to add: That is, Wayfinder's is unusual in that it feels like it's an entire book of outdated Unearthed Arcana (playtest/provisional material) but you "get" to pay real money for it with the knowledge that many DM's don't consider the content in it accessible because much/most of it was overridden by Rising.

I think the last paragraph is really the most relevant - my understanding of Wayfinder's was literally that it is in fact that, a step above UA that was an official, published book, as a stopgap until they finished the proper book, particularly if they wanted more direct feedback than the usual UA material.

thorr-kan
2022-06-29, 12:23 PM
That one goes off the DTRPG Wishlist, then.

Thanks, everyone.

Witty Username
2022-07-02, 04:34 PM
I thought the wayfarer's guide was free? I haven't looked at it much since Rising from the Last war since it got errata'd to match.

Pex
2022-07-02, 09:36 PM
Wayfarer is redundant. I just checked, and they updated stuff to the official way. I know this because Wayfarer warforged were a lot different. They used to be like 3E where your 'subrace' was your equivalence in armor. Instead of now +1 AC you could be the juggernaut warforged and start with heavy armor equivalent 18 AC. I forget the names they used for the other armor types, but you could be the medium armor warforged or the light armor warforged. They also removed Wayfarer's version of the Artificer. It was so long ago I don't remember how it worked, but it had differences to current Artificer.

diplomancer
2022-07-03, 06:39 AM
For player options: probably not, as others have said.
For world content: I'd suppose that yes, but would have to double check.

NeonAnodyne
2022-07-03, 08:52 AM
Wayfarer is redundant. I just checked, and they updated stuff to the official way. I know this because Wayfarer warforged were a lot different. They used to be like 3E where your 'subrace' was your equivalence in armor. Instead of now +1 AC you could be the juggernaut warforged and start with heavy armor equivalent 18 AC. I forget the names they used for the other armor types, but you could be the medium armor warforged or the light armor warforged. They also removed Wayfarer's version of the Artificer. It was so long ago I don't remember how it worked, but it had differences to current Artificer.

As I understand, the WG Artificer appeared in Appendix D (pg. 176), and was included as an update slightly after the main release, HOWEVER, it appears that only the Alchemist subclass of the Artificer was included in the final release of the WG (I think) to the consternation of many purchasers who expected the whole class be significantly more substantially fleshed out in the WG (that later was properly addressed in ERftLW)

Regarding Warforged specifically, the so-called 'subraces' (subtypes may have been more apt) from the WG is as follows, I'm not sure how detailed I can be (copywrite and all that), so I will omit the details unless requested/permitted:

Envoy, Skirmisher, Juggernaut

Additionally, and strangely, WG Warforged could not utilize armor, but had a dedicated unique mechanic to determine their AC (although all types could still use shields).

WG Warforged would also not suffer exhaustion as the result of not taking a long rest.

There were also slight edits to the Kalashtar and a certain subtype of the Shifter race as well, not enough to write home about and YMMV

diplomancer
2022-07-03, 11:23 AM
As I understand, the WG Artificer appeared in Appendix D (pg. 176), and was included as an update slightly after the main release, HOWEVER, it appears that only the Alchemist subclass of the Artificer was included in the final release of the WG (I think) to the consternation of many purchasers who expected the whole class be significantly more substantially fleshed out in the WG (that later was properly addressed in ERftLW)

Regarding Warforged specifically, the so-called 'subraces' (subtypes may have been more apt) from the WG is as follows, I'm not sure how detailed I can be (copywrite and all that), so I will omit the details unless requested/permitted:

Envoy, Skirmisher, Juggernaut

Additionally, and strangely, WG Warforged could not utilize armor, but had a dedicated unique mechanic to determine their AC (although all types could still use shields).

WG Warforged would also not suffer exhaustion as the result of not taking a long rest.

There were also slight edits to the Kalashtar and a certain subtype of the Shifter race as well, not enough to write home about and YMMV

Incidentally; those Warforged subraces, Envoy specially, are really strong. If your DM let's you use them and you want to play a Warforged, it's totally worth it.