PDA

View Full Version : Creation of items, cl part help.

Rleonardh
2022-06-30, 08:14 AM
Pearl of power cl 17
I believe is a miss print due to fact that, to me, means to create a 9th level one not a level 1.

Does the cl on the item always mean when it can be created?

As another example a +5 weapon by the spell has to be cl 20 to be +5 so if to craft a said weapon, has to equal that.

Or is cl meaning caster level vs character level here?

As you can see slightly confused here.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-06-30, 08:25 AM
No, that's just the default. The minimum CL to craft an item is what you need to fulfill its prerequisites.

Caster Level

The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself.

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

The part about prerequisites also makes it clear that an items caster level is not part of those prerequisites, only what comes after it.

Prerequisites

Certain requirements must be met in order for a character to create a magic item. These include feats, spells, and miscellaneous requirements such as level, alignment, and race or kind. The prerequisites for creation of an item are given immediately following the item’s caster level.

The minimum CL for an enhancement bonus on a weapon is bonus x 3:

Caster Level for Weapons

The caster level of a weapon with a special ability is given in the item description. For an item with only an enhancement bonus and no other abilities, the caster level is three times the enhancement bonus. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

Rleonardh
2022-06-30, 09:05 AM
Thank you very much

Telonius
2022-06-30, 09:29 AM
Yeah, that's a big source of confusion in the item descriptions.

For me, at least, the best way to remember it is to look at the line for Sovereign Glue:

Strong transmutation; CL 20th; Craft Wondrous Item, make whole; Price 2,400 gp (per ounce).

Epic-level Wizards aren't spending their downtime making magical Krazy Glue. It just means it's really hard to dispel.

Biggus
2022-06-30, 05:30 PM
For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

This is different to the equivalent section in the DMG (p.215):

For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the item itself. In this case, the creator's caster level must be as high as the item's caster level (and prerequisites may effectively put a higher minimum on the creator's level).

There's nothing in the DMG errata which changes it, but it's not a change which has been made only by the d20SRD (other versions of the 3.5 SRD have the same wording). Any idea what's going on here?

Maat Mons
2022-06-30, 05:38 PM
From the DMG errata:

Caster Level
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 215
Problem: The last two sentences in the section on Caster Level are ambiguous and potentially misleading.
Solution: Replace with this text: For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

Biggus
2022-06-30, 05:41 PM
From the DMG errata:

Yeah, just found that myself, I somehow managed to look at the 3.0 DMG errata first time. Don't mind me.

Rleonardh
2022-06-30, 07:31 PM
Well I learned a long time ago that there no stupid questions when you truly not in the know or confused as heck 😂.

Just glad I been doing it close to what is intended.

I may even homebrew the spells for armor and weapons to follow the 3 cl vs 4cl. Not sure why cl 20 for spell to increase it to +5 but if you make a item it's 15cl.

In a few campaigns I did 6+ years ago I made all creation feats in the phb as one feat and just followed the level prerequisites needed to make type item.
Called it craft magical items.

As none of the players wanted to unbalanced the game they never abused it. And it allowed more fun as the whole.

Crake
2022-07-01, 08:33 AM
Yeah, that's a big source of confusion in the item descriptions.

For me, at least, the best way to remember it is to look at the line for Sovereign Glue:

Epic-level Wizards aren't spending their downtime making magical Krazy Glue. It just means it's really hard to dispel.

Actually, technically they are. The given CL is for a randomly found sovereign glue. If the player makes one, then the CL is whatever their CL is, and it is thus easier to dispel.

I'm not sure I buy that you're able to dispel it though, make whole is an instantaneous effect, so seems to me like glueing two things together with sovereign glue would also be an instantaneous effect.

sreservoir
2022-07-01, 11:03 AM
Actually, technically they are. The given CL is for a randomly found sovereign glue. If the player makes one, then the CL is whatever their CL is, and it is thus easier to dispel.

I'm not sure I buy that you're able to dispel it though, make whole is an instantaneous effect, so seems to me like glueing two things together with sovereign glue would also be an instantaneous effect.

It's honestly not totally clear to me that a e.g. 3rd-level cleric with CWI doesn't just create CL 20 sovereign glue.