PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic Item: The Tavernmaster's Flask

DaFlipp
2022-07-01, 08:30 AM
Just made this for characters in a campaign I'm building, figured I'd look for some feedback before setting it out into the world. Note that my players are all fairly new and not likely to abuse this even if there's some kind of crazy build it could enable that I'm not seeing.

The Tavern-Breaker's Flask

Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement)

This flask magically fills with a potent magical (and deeply alcoholic) tincture which, when consumed, conveys upon the drinker incredible feats of tavern-fighting skill.

While a creature must attune to the flask in order for its magic to work, any creature can subsequently partake of its magic, if they've a strong enough stomach. It produces three doses per day, and refills at dawn. A creature who drinks from the flask must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw, +1 for each additional dose they've already drank that day. The attuned creature may ignore this stipulation once per day (so, they'd only have to make a DC 10 check on their second drink of the day). On a failed save, the creature still receives the positive effects of the flask, but they also become poisoned due to severe inebriation, which lasts for 1 minute (after which they are probably still inebriated but are no longer poisoned). Drinking from the flask requires an action or bonus action. Attempts to dilute the drink or combine it with other potions/drinks inevitably ruin its magical effects for the day.

Upon drinking a dose from the flask, the creature's unarmed and improvised weapon attacks receive a magical +1 bonus to attack and damage, and they are considered proficient with all improvised weapons. Unarmed attacks deal 1d4+ability modifier damage, and both unarmed and improvised weapon attacks are considered to be "finesse" attacks (although the DM may disallow this for especially large and unwieldy improvised weapons). These effects persist for 1 hour.

Segev
2022-07-01, 09:23 AM
It looks fine to me. Might even be a little on the weak side, being limited in charges, having a drawback, and requiring attunement. But not so far on the weak side that you need to buff it up to make it worth using. Maybe add a ribbon of giving the attuned bearer advantage on saves caused by anything ingested, as well?

Damon_Tor
2022-07-01, 03:40 PM
An uncommon item that makes unarmed and improvised attacks into effectively +1 weapons 3 times per day with a potentially nasty side effect? Seems underpowered if anything.

DaFlipp
2022-07-01, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I may have erred on the side of making the drawbacks too strong/multi-layered; it's really just meant to be a +1 weapon, except the "weapon" is a mix of unarmed attacks and improvised weapons. And since the party is pretty heavily dex-focused, I threw finesse in the mix too. (I'm sure the bugbear rogue would *love* this thing!)

Here's a less-nerfed, more straightforward version of the flask:

This flask magically fills with a potent magical (and deeply alcoholic) tincture which, when consumed, conveys upon the drinker incredible feats of tavern-fighting skill.

While a creature must attune to the flask in order for its magic to work, any creature can subsequently partake of its magic. It produces three doses per day, and refills at dawn. Drinking from the flask requires an action or bonus action. Attempts to dilute the drink or combine it with other potions/drinks inevitably ruin its magical effects for the day. Drinking more than one dose at once conveys no additional benefit, but it does ensure a nasty hangover the next day.

Upon drinking a dose from the flask, the creature's unarmed and improvised weapon attacks receive a magical +1 bonus to attack and damage, and they are considered proficient with all improvised weapons. Unarmed attacks deal 1d4+ability modifier damage, and both unarmed and improvised weapon attacks are considered to be "finesse" attacks (although the DM may disallow this for especially large and unwieldy improvised weapons). These effects persist for 1 hour.

Segev
2022-07-02, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I may have erred on the side of making the drawbacks too strong/multi-layered; it's really just meant to be a +1 weapon, except the "weapon" is a mix of unarmed attacks and improvised weapons. And since the party is pretty heavily dex-focused, I threw finesse in the mix too. (I'm sure the bugbear rogue would *love* this thing!)

Here's a less-nerfed, more straightforward version of the flask:

While a creature must attune to the flask in order for its magic to work, any creature can subsequently partake of its magic. It produces three doses per day, and refills at dawn. Drinking from the flask requires an action or bonus action. Attempts to dilute the drink or combine it with other potions/drinks inevitably ruin its magical effects for the day. Drinking more than one dose at once conveys no additional benefit, but it does ensure a nasty hangover the next day.

The fact that it's share-able with non-attuned creatures justifies the charge limit and the time limit, I think.

I'd almost suggest that it only be "deeply alcoholic drink" that can refill three times per day for the unattuned. The attuned being the only one who can refill it. Then, you can have the dose last 8 hours for the attuned (ending if attunement breaks). This is closer to how magic weapons typically work. But if you want it shared out amongst the party, what you have is probably the right way to go.