PDA

View Full Version : Clone

Mad_Saulot
2022-07-01, 02:27 PM
Greeting mortals, my name is Ockulak The Siphon, Master of Death, Grand Wizard of The Ruination of V. I have a technical question regarding a spell I am toying with and I hear this forum might provide some wisdom!

I have cast Clone on one of my favorite minions, but he was killed on a mission to assassinate some pesky wanna-be heroes.

Only 40 days had passed since the casting. His Clone is not yet mature...

What will happen?

will his soul occupy the Clone after another 80 days?

or is his soul lost?

Abracadangit
2022-07-01, 02:34 PM
Greeting mortals, my name is Ockulak The Siphon, Master of Death, Grand Wizard of The Ruination of V. I have a technical question regarding a spell I am toying with and I hear this forum might provide some wisdom!

I have cast Clone on one of my favorite minions, but he was killed on a mission to assassinate some pesky wanna-be heroes.

What will happen?

or is his soul lost?

'Fraid not. Here's the relevant bits:

"This clone forms inside a sealed vessel and grows to full size and maturity after 120 days..."

And then:

"At any time after the clone matures, if the original creature dies, its soul transfers to the clone, provided that the soul is free and willing to return."

So that's the deal-sealer, unfortunately. Clone has to hit the maturity mark before the death of the spell beneficiary, in order for the soul-body swap to proc. There's no provision RAW that the beneficiary's soul chills somewhere, counting down the days until maturity happens and then subsequently jumps inside.

But! As always, consult your DM. Unfortunately, even a wizard as mighty as Ockulak The Siphon is subject to that all-powerful arbiter of cosmic truth.

Mad_Saulot
2022-07-01, 02:40 PM
I, Ockulak The Siphon is appreciative of your advice, perhaps there are work arounds, possibly involving Resurrections, alas restoring life is not my usual purview, I may have to seek a boon from Varad The Depraved, the malignant overlord of the Ruination!

Curses!

lall
2022-07-01, 03:49 PM
There’s always the off-script use of Wish. If he isn’t worth the risk, perhaps some soup will brighten your day.

Damon_Tor
2022-07-01, 04:03 PM

What will happen?

or is his soul lost?

My suggestion is to summon a Dybbuk, apply Planar Binding to it, and then have it inhabit the minion's corpse. He should have the minion's full suite of memories and skills, and plus it can do fun things like twist its head around 360 degrees and puke up a bright green slurry, which is great at parties. Pure upgrade, strictly superior minion.

Mad_Saulot
2022-07-01, 08:24 PM
My suggestion is to summon a Dybbuk, apply Planar Binding to it, and then have it inhabit the minion's corpse. He should have the minion's full suite of memories and skills, and plus it can do fun things like twist its head around 360 degrees and puke up a bright green slurry, which is great at parties. Pure upgrade, strictly superior minion.

Genius!

Why didn't I think of that, there are plenty of hungry ghosts around here too! I could easily bind one, this could revolutionize my minion army.

When I take over the material plane I'll kill you last, as a reward!