PDA

View Full Version : Nes

NEO|Phyte
2007-11-27, 03:38 PM
During the process of helping my sister move, I found a shopping bag with an NES and a bunch of cartridges. A bit of questioning led to the comment "If you can get it to work, you can have it."

After some finagling, I got it to work (somewhat). Apparently the old front-loading model has a bit of a design flaw in the connector, where the pins slowly get bent out of shape until you no longer have solid contact, leading to a blinking screen. I went in with a tiny screwdriver and bent the pins back up, and lo and behold, I was able to get some games working, although I seem to have made the locking mechanism not work, but on the plus side, I don't need to have the cart in the locked position for it to work.

Games include:

Joust
Dr Mario
Mike Tyson's Punch-out!!
Major League Baseball
Super Mario Brothers 2
Super Mario Brothers 3
R.C. Pro-am
Tetris
Skate or Die
Wood & Water Rage

The only ones I have tested are Joust and SMB3, both seem to be working fine.

Is this awesome? [Y/N]

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-27, 03:47 PM
Yes, that is incredibly awesome. Also, that explains what happened to my old NES when I was 8 or 9. I knew I should have taken up fiddling with electronics at a younger age; I might have gotten a few more years' use out of the thing.

Tekraen
2007-11-27, 03:50 PM
This is awesome^N, where N=the combined awesome of kittens, pizza, and Chuck Norris.

I still haven't forgiven my cousin for selling my NES and all its games after I loaned them to him ten years ago.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-27, 03:56 PM
This is, by the way, where the "blow in the cartridge to make it work" thing comes from. The saliva in your breath acts as an extra contact, so the bent pins don't matter as much.

Skippy
2007-11-27, 04:07 PM
I will test that now. I still have my NES safe, but I don't know if it works. I'll try that and then I'll tell you.

Congrats, by the way.

I need to get myself a SMB 3

WampaX
2007-11-27, 04:21 PM
I have to jam an ewok into my nes to get it to work.

No, its not some SW joke, I really do have to shove an old kenner ewok into the nes to hold the cartridge down since the springs broke on the cartridge loading tray.

Tekraen
2007-11-27, 05:10 PM
I have to jam an ewok into my nes to get it to work.

No, its not some SW joke, I really do have to shove an old kenner ewok into the nes to hold the cartridge down since the springs broke on the cartridge loading tray.

I forsee a new meme.

"The door was so broken I had to jam an ewok into it in order to get it to shut!"

Triaxx
2007-11-27, 06:34 PM
Picked up the old breadbox NES? Cool. Mine still works, sort of. If I work with it a bit. I have an NES2 that works much better, still takes a little fiddling. I'll have to try the pin trick.

Endeavourl
2007-11-28, 01:13 AM
I remember playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project with my cousins back in the day, and yelling whenever someone walked by the NES console itself and caused it to restart :smallsmile:

Triaxx
2007-11-28, 09:19 AM
I had the same experience with the second game. Got to level seven and then... *kick* the system restarts.

Neftren
2007-11-28, 09:29 AM
Mine still works and is in near mint condition... only I don't have a TV that's compatible with it anymore without loads of converter cables. :smallyuk:

Korith
2007-11-28, 09:29 AM
Is this awesome? [Y/N]

Y42 invisible filler

Archonic Energy
2007-11-28, 09:49 AM
anyone got one of those Power Glove things?

Korith
2007-11-28, 10:04 AM
Hmmm....I've a friend who had one.

I've still got the two standard controllers and the gun all in working order, though.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-28, 10:22 AM
I've still got the two standard controllers and the gun all in working order, though.

4 controlers 1 multitap & a gun...

and a NES...

minus the PSU

my mate borrowed it for his SNES. :smallfrown:

Triaxx
2007-11-28, 11:40 AM
I've got both Powerglove and the sensors for it, but I lack the programming book to go with it.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-28, 01:15 PM
I bought an NES for £2 ($1.00). Bargain.

The best buy was an original Game and Watch for 50p (25cents).

Captain van der Decken
2007-11-28, 05:49 PM
I think.. you've got your exchange rates mixed up. :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2007-11-29, 05:20 AM
I think.. you've got your exchange rates mixed up. :smalltongue:

Damn it you beat me to it!!!!

i love the £

Lord Shplane
2007-11-29, 06:29 AM
SNES for the win!

No srsly, I have two of them. And they both work perfectly.

Zeful
2007-12-01, 10:43 PM
I never understood, how did the powerglove work?

Lord_Butters_I
2007-12-01, 10:52 PM
The NES is the greatest console of all time. This is unbelievably awesome, try to find the original Super Mario Brothers. That game is nothing but pure, refined win.

Triaxx
2007-12-02, 07:14 AM
Two little ultrasonic emitters in the glove, that the sensors on the TV could hear, moving the glove closer and farther changes the sound so the sensors know it's moving, same with turning the glove sideways.

UserClone
2007-12-02, 08:21 AM
OMG, seriously, but the game Willow, based on the movie! It's buckets of awesome! Also, I encourage anyone who has the old carts to give/sell them to me pick up one of these (http://www.playmessiah.com/products/classics/generation-nex-videogame-console.htm). I did, and it was worth every penny!