PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gear For An NPC Ogre Butler

Thurbane
2022-07-04, 06:48 PM
So...there's an NPC in my game that is an Ogre Butler (Ogre Expert 4; S 18, D 10, Co 13, I 9, W 10, Ch 8; Diplomacy +12, Listen +7, Profession (butler) +14, Sense Motive +5; Negotiator, Open Minded, Skill Focus).

He is a mostly non-combatant valet/manservant for another NPC. He's an Ogre, because reasons.

Also, and this is important, resources available are core only, including anything in the expanded SRD.

Without suggesting a complete rebuild of the character, which is not at all helpful to me, what gear would you equip him with?

Assume normal "NPC WBL" i.e. 16,000gp.

His role is mainly valet and other manservant/butler duties, but he will come on the occasional dungeon crawl.

I'll reiterate again, core only + expanded SRD for sources.

Cheers - T

https://i.imgur.com/mEnDLH8.png

Cygnia
2022-07-04, 06:51 PM
Masterwork clothing (+2 to Diplomacy)
Vials of antitoxin (for when his boss has imbibed too much)

Saintheart
2022-07-05, 02:59 AM
Definitely part of his gear should be the moniker "Bigfred".

AnonJr
2022-07-05, 07:47 AM
Black silk suit, and two white Gloves of Storing - one holding a decanter of the Nobel's preferred brew, one holding an appropriate drinking vessel. (Though IIRC, the gloves are out of budget)

Black coat, black shoes, black hat, Cadillac ... (Don't know the age demos here, so for the kids who just don't know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKHAopx7D0 )

Maat Mons
2022-07-05, 08:27 AM
Maybe some armor with the Glammered ability?

And you can't use two Gloves of Storing at the same time, unless you manage to get a second "hands" slot.

wilphe
2022-07-05, 04:36 PM
Hat of Disguise - "I am not an Ogre"

Then depends which way you want to go:

Be better at what he does:

Headband of Intellect

and/or

Cloak of Charisma

SuperAlfred "I happen to have exactly what you need"

Robe of Useful Items

and/or

Handy haversack filled with alchemical/mundane/minor magic items

AnonJr
2022-07-05, 05:03 PM
And you can't use two Gloves of Storing at the same time, unless you manage to get a second "hands" slot.

I keep forgetting that part - not that I've had the money to worry about it. :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2022-07-05, 05:37 PM
Loving the suggestions so far!

Glammered armor to look like a tuxedo.
Handy Haversack full of cheap utility items.
Robe of Useful Items (shame it's core only, because the Survival Pouch from MIC would be perfect).

...maybe a Ring of Sustenance so he can be on call 22 hrs a day?

Also, yes, he will definitely be called Bigfred now! :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2022-07-06, 10:52 AM
An item of Prestidigitation. I'd probably call it "Butler's Gloves." The spell does a whole bunch of things that butlers or valets would need to do (quick cleaning in case His Lordship has a mishap, extra seasoning for a meal, quickly chill a bottle of wine).

Cygnia
2022-07-06, 11:01 AM
Masterwork monocle for +2 to Sense Motive checks (and so it can pop out dramatically when his client says or does Something Stupid)
Bag of Holding specifically for expensive spices and herbs (and decent wines/boozes of his client's choice)

Thurbane
2022-07-06, 04:40 PM
An item of Prestidigitation. I'd probably call it "Butler's Gloves." The spell does a whole bunch of things that butlers or valets would need to do (quick cleaning in case His Lordship has a mishap, extra seasoning for a meal, quickly chill a bottle of wine).

That sounds amazing, but custom items are generally frowned on at my table.

Is there any core items, other than Wands, that have a Prestidigitation effect?

Jack_Simth
2022-07-06, 04:57 PM
That sounds amazing, but custom items are generally frowned on at my table.

Is there any core items, other than Wands, that have a Prestidigitation effect?
Pathfinder OK? (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gloves-apprentice-s-cheating/)