PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next "Forcing" your way through--a couple houserule spell changes and related rules

PhoenixPhyre
2022-07-04, 08:24 PM
I like the iconic "ablative force field" idea. Where force barriers require effort to sustain against incoming fire and can be broken by either hitting them hard enough or otherwise forcing the creator to resist the effect. From the other side, I like the idea of enabling the iconic image of a shield-user protecting those behind him from, say, the breath of a red dragon. Or mages creating a barrier to shield a small area against a blast (aka a "bubble"). These rule changes and new spell are supposed to enable that effect.

Changes to existing spells
All spells that create a barrier of force now add the following line:

Force effects are extensions of the mage's mind. As such, sufficiently strong impacts against the barrier causes feedback in the mage's mind, threatening their control. The barrier acts as an object with an AC of <AC> and a damage threshold of <threshold>, automatically fails dexterity saving throws, and has immunity to psychic and poison damage. Force damage bypasses this threshold. The barrier does not have hit points, but when an effect or attack deals damage in excess of the threshold, the caster must make a Constitution saving throw of DC 10. The DC increases by <Delta> every time it is triggered in a round, resetting to 10 at the start of the caster's turn. On a failed saving throw, the barrier shatters and is dispelled. This is separate from concentration and does not count as a concentration check. Additionally, disintegrate automatically ends the spell effect.

Spell values for the variables

Spell
AC
Threshold
DC increase per hit (Delta)

Projected Barrier*

Fizban's Platinum Shield

Floating Disk**

Forcecage

Forcecage

Globe of Invulnerability

Tiny Hut

Magic Circle

Resilient Sphere***

Wall of Force

* new spell, see below
** Not that I expect this to really come under fire, but...
*** This one loses the "immune to all damage" line.

New Spell
Projected Barrier
3rd level abjuration
Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute, special
Components: VSM (hands outstretched)
Range/Area: Self (10' radius)

You throw your arms wide and create a barrier of warding force. Roll 8d6--the barrier prevents damage up to that amount before shattering. If multiple targets inside the barrier would take damage simultaneously, they share the protection equally. On each of your turns for the duration, you can use your action to sustaining the ward, resetting the protection to the original value. While sustaining the barrier, your speed is reduced to half and you cannot cast any other spells. If you do not sustain the barrier, it fades and the spell ends. This is a force barrier effect.

New Rule
This is a general rule, available to anyone wearing a shield.

Shield Sacrifice
As a reaction when a different creature within 5' of you is the target of a ranged attack or must make a Dexterity saving throw. You impose yourself between them and the effect, attempting to block it with your shield. Make an attack roll (as if with a proficient melee weapon, gaining a bonus to the roll from any additional modifiers to AC from the shield if it's magical). If the result is equal to or higher than the attack roll or Dexterity saving throw DC, you partially deflect the incoming effect. The original target gains 3/4 cover against the effect and has resistance to the damage. If your deflection roll is more than 5 lower than the DC/attack roll, you take the brunt of the attack and are hit by it instead as if you had failed your saving throw/been the original target, regardless of your AC. On a natural 20, the original target is not affected by the triggering effect.

Goobahfish
2022-07-09, 06:15 AM
I like Projected Barrier ^_^

Only concern would be how it interacts with things coming out of the barrier. Is it purely a free temporary-hitpoint shield for those inside or does it place some kind of restriction to those inside the barrier? Reminds me of 'lessons of the crab' from Oriental Adventures in 3rd.

The Barrier rules seems a bit onerous. I like the intent but I don't generally like tables. Would an easier way to simply have the AC/HP scale with the level of the spell?

I.e. AC = 5 + Spell Level. Threshold = 2 x Spell level?