PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Performance of Creation + Animating Performance = free flying carpet ?

da newt
2022-07-05, 01:27 AM
First time I've DM-ed for a Creation Bard (7) and my player created a row boat, then animated it creating a quasi flying mount for multiple PCs that attacks for 1 hr for the cost of 2 actions and no concentration req ...

The item cannot be bigger than large, it is a construct, it has a fly speed of 30', a ST of 18, and INT of 4.

As for RAW:
How many PCs can it carry? (30*18=540lbs limit?)

If these PCs are standing on it (not prone) and don't have a free hand, when it Slams into things do they fall off?

If the Player says it has a figurehead (so hands), can it use its action to grapple?

Does it follow mount rules?

Is it a creature or an object?

Can it take the HELP action?

It was a new thing, and sort of took me by surprise, but I guess it's not OP compared to things like conjuring 8 giant owls as mounts ...

JackPhoenix
2022-07-05, 06:31 AM
How many PCs can it carry? (30*18=540lbs limit?)

Correct. Plus size constraints.

If these PCs are standing on it (not prone) and don't have a free hand, when it Slams into things do they fall off?

RAW, no, but if it's a controlled mount, it can only use Dash, Disengage and Dodge actions.

If the Player says it has a figurehead (so hands), can it use its action to grapple?

Up to the GM.

Does it follow mount rules?

Yes, it's a creature, so it can serve as a mount and use mount rules.

Is it a creature or an object?

It's a creature.

Can it take the HELP action?

Yes, if ordered to by the bard as BA, unless it's used as controlled mount.

Unoriginal
2022-07-05, 08:58 AM
Correct. Plus size constraints.

On this: a mount for a Medium character is generally at least Large, while a Small character can have a Medium mount.

follacchioso
2022-07-05, 09:26 AM
The rowboat is one of my favorite Items as a bard. My Orc character used to carry it to provide cover against ranged attacks.

It is a Large Vehicle, 10'x5'. It can carry two crews and two passengers, but they will have to squeeze, as each creature occupies a 5'x5' space.

da newt
2022-07-05, 11:17 AM
Thanks.

So the animated boat is a creature, construct, and can be used as a mount (per normal mounted combat rules) with seating for 4, but it can only carry 540 lbs, so realistically 2 PCs w/ gear (especially during combat).

It does have the HOVER capability, but it is not immune to the PRONE condition, so if it is knocked prone I assume it remains airborne but anyone in it is dismounted per mounted combat rules (fall damage if you fall more than 10') ...