PDA

View Full Version : Enchantment on equipment help

Rleonardh
2022-07-05, 02:05 AM
I'm making a cleric with a level in material class, likely barbarian.

I'm thinking with the weapons
Falchion
Keen undead bane with the undead crystal
Falchion
Keen evil outsider holy with the other crystal, forgot name atm

4 javelins (eventually)
Spellstoring and return crystal

Mitheral plate
Great fortitude and ghost ward

Heavy shield
Animated and ghost ward

I know I can do gauntlet, shield and armor spiked of defending, what else you guys recommend or tweak?

More a thought experiment really.

Maat Mons
2022-07-05, 02:27 AM
What are you aiming to get out of the dip into a martial class? If it’s just proficiency with all martial weapons, I prefer to get that from the Militia feat (Player’s Guide to Faerun, p41).

If you’re trying to make a go of Cleric with Rage, I recommend the Rage Cleric variant (Dragon 333, p86). Either way, you’ll really want a Torque of Lucid Raging (in Dungeon 126, on page 95), so you can cast spells while in a Rage.

Rleonardh
2022-07-05, 03:09 AM
Pounce barbarian

1 for undead
1 for evil and outsiders
Maybe more bane for other types??

1-4 ranged javelins vs flying or running away opponents.
Not opposed to just one of these but I'm.not sure what to put on it to make it effective vs most opponents.
In this game say we fight flying plus land opponents, we are allowed to throw a weapon than hold our two handed weapon to strike others, than catch the returning javelin/dagger whatever.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-05, 03:37 AM
I'd suggest getting Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC) instead - an endless supply of +1 force javelins that you don't have to pick back up, giving you a weapon against both flyers and incorporeal enemies (that bypasses DR too).

You also seem to be missing a reach weapon.
You don't need to use one as a primary but they're useful against monsters with reach or special abilities that damage you on hit (most of which don't work against reach weapons).

As for what enchantments to put on them i'd advise against Undead Bane - you can get that from the Undead Bane Weapon spell (SpC) for 1 hour/level, so it's really not worth buying.
Evil outsider bane can be useful if you fight a lot of them, but i'd wait to get it until you've seen how the campaign develops.
Magebane is a decent pick though, as is Illusion Bane for its ability to ignore miss chances.

Spell Storing is a must for any martial caster imo simply because of the action advantage. Bloodstone (MIC) is also worth considering if you have a way to regularly get Vampiric Touch cast into it (Spell domain, party wizard, etc).
Warning is a staple but usually better off on armor spikes, same for Spellstrike.
Don't go overboard on Defending - your spells should be more than sufficient to get good AC. Smoking (LoD) makes a very good defensive option though for the same price.
Valorous (UE) is also something every melee with a twohanded weapon should at least consider even if they're not a primary charger. For a pounce barbarian it's a must if allowed.

Rusting (ShSo) is useful on a separate weapon as a metal-destroying multitool.
Spellblade (PGtF) is great as dispel defense.

If you're heavily investing into a weapon i'd also suggest Everbright (MIC). You don't care about the active effect, but the passive immunity to acid and rust is definitely worth the 2k gp it costs.

In general i'd avoid enemy-specific enchantments unless you know for sure they'll come up a lot.
I've also found DR-overcoming enchantments to be not that useful (Morphing, Metalline, Sure Striking etc), you can usually do fine with an adamantine weapon, some Silversheen (in a Weapon Capsule Retainer (CAdv) if possible) and some way to get it good-aligned (Bless Weapon, Undead Bane Weapon, Blessed Scabbard etc) and spend your gold better on other things.
The same thing applies to Ghost Touch - get the Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting (MIC) instead, they're cheaper, also apply to spells and add a free 1d6 damage against incorporeal on top of that. Or just rely on the Gloves of Endless Javelins.

Rleonardh
2022-07-05, 05:08 AM
Should mention:
Gold to spend 54,000
Level cleric 10/barbarian 1/contemplative 1
Craft wondrous items
Craft magical weapons and armor

Downtime 6 months

Current items:

Falchion masterwork
Spear masterwork
Mitheral full plate
+1 heavy mitheral shield
Healing belt

Amulet that allows healing myself as I heal others, forgot name apologies

Truedeath crystal greater
Crystal of return greater

A few wands of lesser vigor, add all charges 72 left
Fly potions x2
Few knick nack scrolls like lesser restore, break enchantment
Bag of holding 3rd type
Clock of resistance+2
Counter spell ring

I can add to healing belt +con
To amulet+Wis

Hopefully this helps, most of times I play sorcerer or druids our wizard usually plays rogue or ranger. I'm helping him learn how to play the arcane.

Valorous is definitely a go, I can see spikes on gauntlet, armor,shield.
So spell strike on one
Defending on one
Warning on one or on one of the others.

We do have a party wizard, former rogue or ranger player, that can help in crafting, as there a few items he wants and will supply the gold for his.

Also of note we do 1000 gold per day plus 25gp x spellcraft check roll added per day.

Max Caysey
2022-07-05, 06:10 AM
I'm making a cleric with a level in material class, likely barbarian.

I'm thinking with the weapons
Falchion
Keen undead bane with the undead crystal
Falchion
Keen evil outsider holy with the other crystal, forgot name atm

4 javelins (eventually)
Spellstoring and return crystal

Mitheral plate
Great fortitude and ghost ward

Heavy shield
Animated and ghost ward

I know I can do gauntlet, shield and armor spiked of defending, what else you guys recommend or tweak?

More a thought experiment really.

For the armor I would go reinforced, segmented, lightweight, easy travel, comfort MITHRAL battle plate!

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-05, 07:41 AM
Should mention:
Gold to spend 54,000
Level cleric 10/barbarian 1/contemplative 1
Craft wondrous items
Craft magical weapons and armor

Downtime 6 months

Current items:

You should probably cover the basics before going all-in on investing in your weapon.
Basically:
- Wisdom booster (at least +4) This is your main stat. Get it if you don't already have one.
- Con booster (+2 or +4) Not quite as critical if you take advantage of your spells to get temp hp, but the +2 at least is always worth the money unless you have no Con score.
- Anklets of Translocation (MIC) and/or Shadow Cloak (DotU) and/or Shadow Hands (Shadow Jaunt) (ToB) for tactial teleportation. The Shadow Cloak in particular is a lifesaver, though they're all worth getting and they're all pretty cheap.
- Death Ward armor enhancement. You have Death Ward on your spell list so there's no need to spring for Soulfire, but it lasts only 10 min/level. This covers you from surprise attacks.
- Third Eye: Clarity (MIC) Negates a large number of nasty conditions 1/day and much, much cheaper than getting immunity to all of them. Must have.
- Scout's Headband (MIC) Unless you want to constantly prepare a True Seeing. This is cheap enough to be well worth it.
- Special Holy Symbol (CC) the benefits are small but valuable (generally +1 CL or DC or a similar boost to some spells) and they're a steal at 350gp. You can only pick one though.

Those are what i'd call the necessities at your level. (Incidentally most of them are also on the List of Necessary Magic Items (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) which is well worth a look.)

After that there's some other items you should consider:
- Prayer Bead of Karma Expensive, but you have CWI. It's very worth the price. A must-have for any cleric, the only question is when to get it.
- Necklace of Adaption Immunity to all kinds of clouds, stench and so on and unlimited air. Somewhat pricy at 9k gp but no-sells a lot of nasty BFC.
- Belt of Battle (MIC) +2 to initiative and you can spend charges to get extra actions. A crowd favorite.
- Steadfast Boots (MIC) +4 against trip, bull rush and overrun and any twohanded weapon you wield always counts as readied against creatures that charge you.
- Third Eye: Improvisation (MIC) +5 to an untrained skill and treated as trained in that skill 1/day. Cheap at 1k for the versatility, especially for characters that don't get many skill points.
- Dispelling Chord (MIC) +2 to a dispel check 5/day as a swift action. Another cheap item every caster who can dispel should get.
- Third Eye: Sense (MIC) casts Clairvoyant Sense at will. A little pricy (24k) but pretty much the ultimate scouting item.
- Shirt of Wraith Stalking (MIC) at will Hide from Undead, but it doesn't grant a save even to intelligent undead. Incredibly powerful in an undead-heavy campaign.
- Orb of Mental Renewal (MIC) Heals up to 8 mental ability damage/day. More of a party expense really, but generally preferably to scrolls of Lesser Restoration.
- Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) Heals up to 8 physical ability damage/day. See above.
- Metamagic Rods (core, MIC) the lesser rods of sculpt, extend and chain are very useful for a cleric

Until you get at least the first list i wouldn't invest in anything more into weapons than a +1 spell storing weapon or the Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC).
Most of your damage comes from feats and spells anyway.

If you're good you should also consider switching your armor to a Monk's Belt and combining it with (Greater) Luminous Armor, which will grant you more AC for less cost.
You can still get armor enhancements by placing them on Bracers of Armor (the rule for that is in A&EG).