PDA

View Full Version : Feat or Item to increase CL of Racial SLAs (to higher than hit dice)

Yogibear41
2022-07-05, 11:40 PM
Looking for a feat or item that can boost the CL of a racial SLA.

Specifically looking to get a CL of 5th at 2nd level using a Duergar (invisibility and enlarge person SLAs base cl = twice your HD) or as a Frost Dwarf (chill touch and obscuring mist SLAs base CL = your HD+2) both of these get me a CL of 4th at level 2 with no other bonuses.

Biggus
2022-07-06, 12:52 AM
Is this 3.5? If so unfortunately the only thing I know of which gives a flat "+1 caster level" (ie, does not specify spells) is the orange prism ioun stone, which is a bit out of the price range of a 2nd-level character.

There's a list of ways to increase CL here, it's possible you might find something: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444635-Raising-Caster-Level

ciopo
2022-07-06, 02:13 AM
Hire a 9th level NPC bard to inspire greatness you, that should be 9gp a day or so, plus maybe the cost of lesser restorations to keep him humming in the background for hours upon hours without fatiguing

Biggus
2022-07-06, 02:30 AM
Hire a 9th level NPC bard to inspire greatness you, that should be 9gp a day or so

That seems very cheap, where does that price come from?

ciopo
2022-07-06, 02:44 AM
That seems very cheap, where does that price come from?
I googled and the first topic on hireling costs that came up was putting it at 1gp/level/day from arms & equipment, I didn't dig further, since it would be hiring a bard for his singing capabilities, and 1gp/level/day felt spot on for this kind of no-danger cushy job.
I'm just imagining what a court entertainer would be paid.

There's probably more recent actual rules, and the other point of comparison would be spellcasting services I suppose, rather than profession which is what I held as a comparison point, since "singing" is nominally a bard "job"

Biggus
2022-07-06, 03:12 AM
I googled and the first topic on hireling costs that came up was putting it at 1gp/level/day from arms & equipment, I didn't dig further, since it would be hiring a bard for his singing capabilities, and 1gp/level/day felt spot on for this kind of no-danger cushy job.
I'm just imagining what a court entertainer would be paid.

There's probably more recent actual rules, and the other point of comparison would be spellcasting services I suppose, rather than profession which is what I held as a comparison point, since "singing" is nominally a bard "job"

If the person you're following round all day is an adventurer, it's hardly going to be no-danger...

I did a bit of Googling myself and there are more recent rules in the DMG2 (p.154), the prices are much higher there (810GP per day plus a full share of any treasure).

ciopo
2022-07-06, 03:17 AM
I suspect he wants caster level 5 for craft wondrous items, and so the actual work for the bard is chilling about in town during offtime. If not that, then early entry, and so it's a one time expense.

810/day is significantly more, yeah

ViperMagnum357
2022-07-06, 08:08 AM
If you are okay with Dungeon Magazine material, there is the Practiced Magic feat from The Shackled City Adventure Path. Basically, it is Practiced Spellcaster for SLAs, right down to requiring separate copies of the feat if you want to boost SLAs from different sources; +4 CL, up to your HD. It only requires 4 ranks in Spellcraft, so it should be available at level 1 as long as you get Spellcraft as a class skill for your first level. Unfortunately, up to HD is not going to help; but I figured I would mention it in case someone could find a workaround.

Saintheart
2022-07-06, 09:45 AM
If you are okay with Dungeon Magazine material, there is the Practiced Magic feat from The Shackled City Adventure Path. Basically, it is Practiced Spellcaster for SLAs, right down to requiring separate copies of the feat if you want to boost SLAs from different sources; +4 CL, up to your HD. It only requires 4 ranks in Spellcraft, so it should be available at level 1 as long as you get Spellcraft as a class skill for your first level. Unfortunately, up to HD is not going to help; but I figured I would mention it in case someone could find a workaround.

Polymorph into Dusk Giant, eat chickens? :)

ShurikVch
2022-07-07, 04:57 AM
Terran Brandy (Book of Vile Darkness): +2 CL for 1d20+20 minutes; 500 gp

Troacctid
2022-07-07, 12:08 PM
If you just need a high CL, any CL, in order to meet a prerequisite, try the Celestial Scion regional feat from D315. One of the lineage options gives you a Su ability at level 1 with a very high CL.

If it has to be specifically a caster level for your SLA—e.g. for something like acolyte of the skin—then move along, nothing to see here.