PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tiny water elemental familiar

nickl_2000
2022-07-06, 07:31 AM
So last night our party ran into a water elemental, and my PC dropped several pinches of Dust of Dryness into it as part of the battle resulting in the normal pellets.

I'm pretty sure, for the sake of fun, I've convinced my DM to let me use the pellets to make a tiny water elemental familiar to replace my current rat on my AT Rogue/War Wizard PC. Plus we have another PC who has a Seahorse familiar and we are all entertained by the Seahorse riding along inside the Water Elemental Familiar as a tiny moving fishbowl.

Does this make sense for a familiar that isn't specifically for pact of the chain?

Water Elemental Familiar
Tiny elemental, neutral
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 2 (1d4)
Speed 30 ft., swim 90 ft.
STR
12 (+1)

DEX
12 (+1)

CON
10 (+0)

INT
5 (-3)

WIS
10 (+0)

CHA
10 (+0)

Damage Resistances acid
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Aquan
Challenge 0 (10 XP)
Water Form. The elemental can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
Freeze. If the elemental takes cold damage, it partially freezes; its speed is reduced by 20 ft. until the end of its next turn.

Actions
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 bludgeoning damage.

Whelm (Recharge 5-6). Each creature in the elemental's space must make a DC 11 Strength saving throw. On a failure, If it is tiny, it is grappled (escape DC 11). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained and unable to breathe unless it can breathe water. If the saving throw is successful, the target is pushed out of the elemental's space.
The elemental can grapple one tiny creature at a time. A creature within 5 feet of the elemental can pull a creature or object out of it by taking an action to make a DC 11 Strength and succeeding.

sandmote
2022-07-06, 03:08 PM
For the purposes of carrying a seahorse, I'd drop the Whelm action to clarify the water elemental definitely isn't injuring the seahorse familiar it is towing around. Maybe just a line saying that creatures of tiny size grappled by the elemental must be able to breath water or start to drown.

Otherwise, this seems like a mostly fluff based change so its probaly fine. My biggest concern with the actual statblock is that it says the water elemental familiar can speak. Which doesn't seem to be how most tables run elementals knowing aquan/other primordial dialects anyway, so whatever.

nickl_2000
2022-07-06, 03:59 PM
Good call, doing the damage would kill off the seahorse in a hurry. I changed whelm to not do any damage.