PDA

View Full Version : Why no Legend of Five Rings videogame?

t209
2022-07-06, 06:35 PM
I am wondering something, is there any reasons why Legend of Five Rings didn't get videogame adaptation?
I mean Dungeons and Dragons, Call of Cthuhu, and even Magic the Gathering have them.

awa
2022-07-06, 06:50 PM
I am wondering something, is there any reasons why Legend of Five Rings didn't get videogame adaptation?
I mean Dungeons and Dragons, Call of Cthuhu, and even Magic the Gathering have them.

You say even magic the gathering but its a huge property owned by a very big company.
D&d is both a big property and has been around for a long time with huge name recognition.
Call of Cthulhu (and related works) were hugely influential and its copyright status makes it easy to make Cthulhu type games.

Legend of the 5 rings is none of those things. Most rpgs never have a video game adaptation so no game is situation normal.

t209
2022-07-06, 07:15 PM
You say even magic the gathering but its a huge property owned by a very big company.
D&d is both a big property and has been around for a long time with huge name recognition.
Call of Cthulhu (and related works) were hugely influential and its copyright status makes it easy to make Cthulhu type games.

Legend of the 5 rings is none of those things. Most rpgs never have a video game adaptation so no game is situation normal.

Yeah, just I assume it was big Western-made Asian Fantasy RPG and have interesting idea for a computer game (either CK style, or 90's CRPG with focus on social interaction).

GentlemanVoodoo
2022-07-06, 07:32 PM
One other factor is it would be a niche market. L5R, while enjoyable, is still a Samurai drama at its core. Also depends if current license holders Fantasy Flight would be willing to go for it but given the limited releases of the table top books (last one published 16 April 2021 for Fields of Victory & Blood of the Lioness) it is highly doubtful the game line has much life left.

False God
2022-07-06, 10:17 PM
Yeah, just I assume it was big Western-made Asian Fantasy RPG and have interesting idea for a computer game (either CK style, or 90's CRPG with focus on social interaction).

Mostly because the last time it was done was too amazing. (Jade Empire) Hasbro can throw money at MTG and D&D in the way Disney can throw money at...well everything. RPGs are a fairly niche market even among computer gamers, they evolved into MMOs with the proliferation of the internet and those devolved into MOBAs because the demand for quick, action-packed gaming far outstrips the demand for deep characterization and social interaction.

KorvinStarmast
2022-07-07, 02:09 PM
...and those devolved into MOBAs because the demand for quick, action-packed gaming far outstrips the demand for deep characterization and social interaction.MOBA's can be fun, but I suppose that they are an acquired taste.

False God
2022-07-07, 02:29 PM
MOBA's can be fun, but I suppose that they are an acquired taste.

I'm not saying they're not fun. They're just shallow. They're pre-established characters who you get to take out and battle a bit. Not far off from some pre-generated adventures. They're not aimed at people who want deep role-play experiences and long-term gameplay investments.

Psyren
2022-07-07, 03:20 PM
I would love one in the style of Shadowrun Returns.

Maybe folks could kludge something together using Divinity OS2?

t209
2022-07-07, 05:32 PM
I would love one in the style of Shadowrun Returns.

Maybe folks could kludge something together using Divinity OS2?

Well, the issue comes when the Game had Honor system.
Good luck adapting looting mechanic when pilfering corpses would drop honor score.

Anonymouswizard
2022-07-08, 07:14 AM

This, even the Paranoia video game seems to have been cancelled, and you'd think that it would be perfectly suited for either a Classic or Straight narrative RPG or a Zap-styled 'co-operative' mission-based shooter. Honestly it's one of the ROGs best suited to adaptation, as I can even see some kind of RTS city builder hybrids an option.

L5R meanwhile is, while a great setting, much less flexible, combined with not being a big enough game to justify the cost. Plus you r got to add in exposition to explain all the Clans and such. Although I suppose you could do it as an RTS or grand strategy game.

It's still not as approachable as hitting New Game, being dumped in Alpha Complex, and being told you have ten minutes to report to *radio static*.

Psyren
2022-07-08, 10:47 AM
If they had one of the big players like Obsidian, Larian, or Harebrained take an interest that would probably be enough to get a project going.

Until then I think the best bet is to try and throw something together in one of their toolsets.