PDA

View Full Version : Do I have Maddening Hex right?

SociopathFriend
2022-07-06, 09:52 PM
Namely- it has a 30 foot mention.

This is just for the Bonus Action psychic damage, yeah? Not the regular Hex's necrotic damage?

And I'm able to move in and out of that range freely? I can just only trigger it from 30 feet away?

We use a lot of grid-combat in one of my groups. And at least two players like having arguments about rules.

But if I understand everything correctly:
If I've already Hexed someone a previous turn
If my Charisma is maxed at Level 5
If I have the Agonizing and Madness Invocations
If I start my turn 40 feet away <---- concerning bit

I can walk up 10 feet, shoot twice and activate hex, and then walk 10 feet back?

Getting 1d10 + 5 force + 1d6 necrotic + 5 psychic damage?

Which I can repeat next turn so long as nothing changes? Walking it and out of the 30 range won't end anything?

Abracadangit
2022-07-06, 09:56 PM
Namely- it has a 30 foot mention.

This is just for the Bonus Action psychic damage, yeah? Not the regular Hex's necrotic damage?

And I'm able to move in and out of that range freely? I can just only trigger it from 30 feet away?

We use a lot of grid-combat in one of my groups. And at least two players like having arguments about rules.

But if I understand everything correctly:
If I've already Hexed someone a previous turn
If my Charisma is maxed at Level 5
If I have the Agonizing and Madness Invocations
If I start my turn 40 feet away <---- concerning bit

I can walk up 10 feet, shoot twice and activate hex, and then walk 10 feet back?

Getting 1d10 + 5 force + 1d6 necrotic + 5 psychic damage?

Which I can repeat next turn so long as nothing changes? Walking it and out of the 30 range won't end anything?

Yep -- everything checks out. You only need to be within 30 feet to use the psychic damage bonus action, then you can move wherever you want.

What exactly are your argumentative friends trying to argue? That this shouldn't work?

SociopathFriend
2022-07-06, 10:05 PM
Yep -- everything checks out. You only need to be within 30 feet to use the psychic damage bonus action, then you can move wherever you want.

What exactly are your argumentative friends trying to argue? That this shouldn't work?

As of yet- nothing. I hope it stays that way.

But the longest argument by FAR that stole the most campaign time was about ranges and areas so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask online.

Nobody has ever done that sort of in-out of range before on an active 'spell'. At least in my memory.

Toadkiller
2022-07-07, 12:48 AM
I think that is the key point. Maddening hex isn’t a spell, it also has no persistent component. Each bonus action occurs independently from any other.

So, each bonus action it is “is there someone you can see within 30 feet of you that is effected by your hex spell or other warlock cursing feature? If so, then you can use maddening hex. Events that happen separate from your bonus action, like being more than 30 feet away at some point in the round, have no impact.

Tanarii
2022-07-07, 12:57 AM
"To use this invocation, you must be able to see the cursed target, and it must be within 30 feet of you."

It says "to use this invocation" not "to use this bonus action." The 30ft limitation applies to the doing of the damage, not just using the bonus action.

Edit: oh ignore that, I was confused by your implication the damage is somehow added to the EB damage. The damage is instantaneous when you use the bonus action (within 30ft), and unrelated to EB damage at 40ft, starting distance, or ending distance, in any way.

SociopathFriend
2022-07-07, 12:41 PM
"To use this invocation, you must be able to see the cursed target, and it must be within 30 feet of you."

It says "to use this invocation" not "to use this bonus action." The 30ft limitation applies to the doing of the damage, not just using the bonus action.

Edit: oh ignore that, I was confused by your implication the damage is somehow added to the EB damage. The damage is instantaneous when you use the bonus action (within 30ft), and unrelated to EB damage at 40ft, starting distance, or ending distance, in any way.

I have hopes of getting my hands on an item to bolster my Movement Speed and I'm going to grab the Invocation that lowers the enemy movement speed by 10. The main question was only if I should have any reason to worry about running in and out of the 30 foot range- which seems to be answered with a solid 'no'.