PDA

View Full Version : Staff of Swarming Insects

nickl_2000
2022-07-07, 07:11 AM
Our party picked up a Staff of Swarming Insects in a dungeon (well donjon actually) and I'm trying to figure out the best use for it.

Our current party at level 14 if it matters:
Celestial Warlock/Sorcerer - mostly Warlock, mostly EBing
Glory Paladin/Divine Soul Sorcerer - Melee character and massive, massive tank
Divination Wizard - Focused on doing fire damage on pretty much everything, squishie and stays in the back
Arcane Trickster/War Wizard - Mostly drops a buff/control then sneak attacks

So, literally anyone in the party can use the Staff.

Have you had one of these in the past? How did you use it? What would be your strategy in general and in this party?

Gignere
2022-07-07, 07:19 AM
Our party picked up a Staff of Swarming Insects in a dungeon (well donjon actually) and I'm trying to figure out the best use for it.

Our current party at level 14 if it matters:
Celestial Warlock/Sorcerer - mostly Warlock, mostly EBing
Glory Paladin/Divine Soul Sorcerer - Melee character and massive, massive tank
Divination Wizard - Focused on doing fire damage on pretty much everything, squishie and stays in the back
Arcane Trickster/War Wizard - Mostly drops a buff/control then sneak attacks

So, literally anyone in the party can use the Staff.

Have you had one of these in the past? How did you use it? What would be your strategy in general and in this party?

I used it as a divination wizard, I used it to great effect by denying LoS on enemies caster so only I can counterspell them, it works against every type of sight but blindsight.

Some times if we were fighting many casters it was much better to just blind my own party and everyone else than to let them freely target your party.

Communication is key many times I would position myself so my allies were within 5 feet of the cloud so if things got rough they can retreat and take a breather etc, they can jump out of the cloud attack/shoot and jump back into the cloud to enjoy being attacked at disadvantage.

The staff obviously works a hell of a lot better with range characters than melee. If the party can coordinate and all get blind fighting it would be practically broken.