PDA

View Full Version : Awake

Turcano
2007-11-27, 06:29 PM
I know the film hasn't come out yet, but I have one question.

Why in God's name did they cast Hayden Christensen as the lead? These people saw Star Wars Ep. II and III, right?

warty goblin
2007-11-27, 06:56 PM
Well, he was good in Shattered Glass. Maybe they watched that and decided that, when not directed by Lucas, he can actually act.

Turcano
2007-11-27, 06:59 PM
Yeah, Star Wars seems to have a considerable dampening effect on acting skills. But Christensen's performance was bad even for Star Wars.

Daze
2007-11-27, 07:09 PM
Wonder if his career will go the way of Luke?

heh...

(btw.. too lazy to decide if hammel or hammil or some other such thing is the correct spelling.. so he's just Luke, k?)

Glawackus
2007-11-27, 07:56 PM
On the topic of the film itself, I don't think I'll be seeing it, considering how it actually happened to my grandfather. :smalleek:

[edit] Well, not the out-of-body experience bit, but he did wake up during open heart surgery. And then it got weird. :S

2007-11-27, 08:34 PM
The only two actors from StarWars originals I can think of as sucessful are Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones.

And even they didn't do to hot.

Glawackus
2007-11-27, 08:35 PM
The only two actors from StarWars originals I can think of as sucessful are Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones.

And even they didn't do to hot.

I think Ford's done well for himself...Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, the Clancy movies.

Jones, on the other hand, I have to dig. He was in Field of Dreams, and...uh... :smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2007-11-27, 09:05 PM
Jones, on the other hand, I have to dig. He was in Field of Dreams, and...uh... :smalltongue:

He was in Best of the Best, as the coach. And I couldn't stop thinking of Vader talking during the motivational speech at the beginning :smalltongue:

Da Beast
2007-11-27, 10:26 PM
This movie looks so terrible I don't think any amount of great acting could save it.

Cyrano
2007-11-27, 10:30 PM
I know the film hasn't come out yet, but I have one question.

Why in God's name did they cast Hayden Christensen as the lead? These people saw Star Wars Ep. II and III, right?

Dude, the man is playing a paralysed open-heart surgery patient who is unable to speak. This is the one role he can DO!

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-27, 10:56 PM
I think Ford's done well for himself...Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, the Clancy movies.

Don't forget The Fugitive. He might not be a prolific actor, but he has definitely done well for himself.

On topic ... I'll need some serious convincing to pay to see this movie, and not because of the acting (or lack thereof :smalltongue:). From what I've seen in the ads, he's going to spend at least a good part of the movie on the operating table thinking to himself while some doctors plot his death. This is supposed to be interesting how?

thorgrim29
2007-11-27, 11:01 PM
Hayden whatshisname is not luke, he's Anakin, luke is Mark Hammil.... And before dissing James Earl Jones, you should hear the guy that was actually in the armor..... just about the opposite of what Vader's voice should be. Oh and my mom woke up during abnominal surgery once.... that cant be fun, but the movie looks terrible.

Midnight Son
2007-11-28, 12:06 AM
James Earl Jones (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/)
164 Movies and the voice of Vader in Lego Star Wars II

Harrison Ford (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000148/)
58 movies and the voice of Solo in Lego Star Wars II

Nah...Both of them are in dire straights career-wise. In fact, to help them out, I'll trade all the money I will earn in my lifetime for theirs. I'm just that giving.

Omniplex
2007-11-28, 01:34 AM
I've seen the commercials, and I think the character sounds whiny. Not sure whether that's intentional, or if that's just because it's Hayden Christenson, or if it's because I just can't divorce him from Anakin.

Rockphed
2007-11-28, 03:10 AM
James Earl Jones (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/)
164 Movies and the voice of Vader in Lego Star Wars II

Wow! I had no Idea that he had done so many. But he was in The Hunt for Red October, which I think Harrison Ford was not...

Gerrtt
2007-11-28, 09:31 AM

He did a deal where he reads the bible and you can listen to it. It's called "James Earl Jones Reads the Bible."

I haven't heard it but I imagine it would be pretty funny to listen to.

Solo
2007-11-28, 10:33 AM
He did a deal where he reads the bible and you can listen to it. It's called "James Earl Jones Reads the Bible."

I haven't heard it but I imagine it would be pretty funny to listen to.

Awesome.

"And then God said to Lucifer: 'You are a member of the rebel alliance.' "

Ossian
2007-11-28, 11:03 AM
Well, Ewan McGregor is faring quite well, and he's still got ages to get out of the jedi robes of Obi1.

trivia: David Prowse, encased in Vader's armor, seemed to have a strong welsh accent. Orson Wells was casted for his voice, but would have been to easily recognized. That's why GL opted for the voice of JE Jones.

O

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-28, 11:36 AM
On the following topics in the thread:

Actors post-Star Wars: Mark Hamill may not seem that prolific, but really; he is. Also, his career was not damaged so much by Star Wars, as it was the serious car accident he was involved in. Plastic Surgeries and (I am guessing) depression led to his withdrawl from the public eye.

He does an insane amount of voice acting, if you ever watched Batman: The Animated Series, he did the Joker's voice. I remember seeing him on the Daily Show doing an interview about it, and watching his face contort into the Joker on screen was pretty creepy.

Additional recent work includes:

Metalocalypse
Robot Chicken

As for Hayden...

I am one of the rare few.. a long time Star Wars fan who liked Episodes 1 - 3 and really didn't think Hayden did that bad a job. Everyone whines (irony.. zing!) about how whiny he was and while I kind of hated to, since I am as big a Vader fanboy as the next... you end up being a bada$$ evil guy by starting off as a whiny punk. Going from that premise, it's easy to see the evolution from "It's not fair!" to "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

As for Awake as a film..

It looks pretty spooky, I like the premise. It seems like a pretty terrifying concept.

dehro
2007-11-28, 01:16 PM
Dude, the man is playing a paralysed open-heart surgery patient who is unable to speak. This is the one role he can DO!lmfao!!

and on J. E. Jones..he was in at least one of the clancy movies himself...and... "this is CNN" anyone?

Kaelaroth
2007-11-28, 02:19 PM
I've only read the wiki article, but it seems like the thing that'd make me acquire nightmares. Pathetic as that is. :smallsigh:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-28, 03:09 PM
You know, Hayden Christiansen isn't a bad actor. Neither is Natalie Portman. They just both happened to be godawfully terrible in the films they're best known for. Remember, you have to take the crappy writing and directing into account as well.

That all aside, Awake still looks lame.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-28, 05:09 PM
You know, Hayden Christiansen isn't a bad actor. Neither is Natalie Portman. They just both happened to be godawfully terrible in the films they're best known for. Remember, you have to take the crappy writing and directing into account as well.

That all aside, Awake still looks lame.

I agree. She was fantastic in everthing else I've seen her in, especially Garden State.