PDA

View Full Version : Feat choice for 9 & 13th level battle smith

Spacehamster
2022-07-07, 11:21 PM
So my dwarf battle smith heavy crossbow user is wondering how to progress, will turn 5 next level, at 6th will take a level rogue for sneak attack dice & 2 expertise, rest in battle smith, campaign is the avernus one so should reach 13th level. Feel like sharpshooter followed by fighting style or other way around is best, leaving INT at 18.

Other option is skip rogue and take fighter dip for combat style and get sharpshooter + skill expertis in some order.

What would the playground do?

Hael
2022-07-08, 02:43 AM
So my dwarf battle smith heavy crossbow user is wondering how to progress, will turn 5 next level, at 6th will take a level rogue for sneak attack dice & 2 expertise, rest in battle smith, campaign is the avernus one so should reach 13th level. Feel like sharpshooter followed by fighting style or other way around is best, leaving INT at 18.

Other option is skip rogue and take fighter dip for combat style and get sharpshooter + skill expertis in some order.

What would the playground do?

How important is the expertise to you? I’m not a huge fan of rogue dips in general, unless its for the lvl 2 abilities which is more to play keep away (which isnt super applicable as a high defense artificer). Fighter dip is ok for archery but i’d be tempted to stay mono class at this point for the progression.

SS should be the next feat for sure.. After that, i’d probably max int before the archery style (debatable)

Spacehamster
2022-07-08, 04:11 AM
How important is the expertise to you? I’m not a huge fan of rogue dips in general, unless its for the lvl 2 abilities which is more to play keep away (which isnt super applicable as a high defense artificer). Fighter dip is ok for archery but i’d be tempted to stay mono class at this point for the progression.

SS should be the next feat for sure.. After that, i’d probably max int before the archery style (debatable)

His whole schtick is to be a Sherlock Holmes investigator style character so at least one expertise skill(perception) is a must for the lore of the character, so it’s either rogue dip or fighter dip + skill expert feat. :)

Waazraath
2022-07-08, 04:15 AM
His whole schtick is to be a Sherlock Holmes investigator style character so at least one expertise skill(perception) is a must for the lore of the character, so it’s either rogue dip or fighter dip + skill expert feat. :)

In that case I'd say Rogue. I think both Fighter and Rogue are solid dips for a build like this, but Battle Smith is very strong and advancing that one is also great. SS first is just too good to pass up, so if going fighter means delaying that due to what you say here: Rogue.

stoutstien
2022-07-08, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't take SS unless the party is seriously short on damage. Artificer just tends to support consistent damage output over burst and any damage on hit (sneak attack) is going to further push this angle. The artificer also tends to cast spells often enough to make buffing weapon damage a cost sink (with your steel defender not directly benefiting from stuff like SS as well).

If Tasha is in play a couple of int half feats is pretty solid for a class that triple dips on that.

Waazraath
2022-07-08, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't take SS unless the party is seriously short on damage. Artificer just tends to support consistent damage output over burst and any damage on hit (sneak attack) is going to further push this angle. The artificer also tends to cast spells often enough to make buffing weapon damage a cost sink (with your steel defender not directly benefiting from stuff like SS as well).

If Tasha is in play a couple of int half feats is pretty solid for a class that triple dips on that.

Ymmv, but ignoring cover and increasing range alone are often worth taking the feat. And while it's true that a damage increase from SA makes the -5/+10 a bit less appealing, I think against most AC's +5/-10 will be highly effective (there's probably a +1/+2 crossbow with an infusion, which increases chance to hit). When I played a similar build (with the difference that I used CBE as well so I had a third attack for the SS damage benefit), around level 10 I was one of the top damage dealers just attacking, and almost all spells could be spend on utility, emergency healing, or a pre-combat buff like haste (making SS even more effective).

stoutstien
2022-07-08, 08:03 AM
Ymmv, but ignoring cover and increasing range alone are often worth taking the feat. And while it's true that a damage increase from SA makes the -5/+10 a bit less appealing, I think against most AC's +5/-10 will be highly effective (there's probably a +1/+2 crossbow with an infusion, which increases chance to hit). When I played a similar build (with the difference that I used CBE as well so I had a third attack for the SS damage benefit), around level 10 I was one of the top damage dealers just attacking, and almost all spells could be spend on utility, emergency healing, or a pre-combat buff like haste (making SS even more effective).

Cover is generally less of an issue with artificer thanks to built in flight and bonus action shove and grapple with the SD. Range is also less of an issue if you are using a heavy crossbow over the hand which also has a larger net gain with the bonus action option to stack the -/+ on.

Psyren
2022-07-08, 09:23 AM
I would get to the 20 Int honestly. On top of more attack and damage, it also gets you an additional Flash of Genius, makes all your flashes stronger, makes your spells stronger, and boosts knowledge and investigation checks (presumably Investigation is a big deal for your "sherlock holmes" character). Artificers get so much from Int that maxing it out is a really good move. I would then go for SS etc.

I wouldn't bother with XBE as your bonus action is likely better used on your Steel Defender.

Hael
2022-07-08, 09:45 AM
I would get to the 20 Int honestly.

Agreed. If Sherlock Holmes is the character concept then take 1 lvl of rogue (yuck), then at arti 8 max int (either with a full asi or hopefully half feat?). SS will have to wait (although it is an epic crapton of damage).