PDA

View Full Version : WhatÂ’s a good (non-Critical Roll) campaign to LISTEN to?

Spo
2022-07-08, 02:14 PM
I enjoy listening to people playing dnd on my phone while I am driving around or cooking. Have listened to a ton of Critical Roll and want to branch out and listen to other players.

Whom would you suggest and why do you like them? Thanks in advance.

x3n0n
2022-07-08, 03:10 PM
I enjoy listening to people playing dnd on my phone while I am driving around or cooking. Have listened to a ton of Critical Roll and want to branch out and listen to other players.

Whom would you suggest and why do you like them? Thanks in advance.

If you dig the creepy/horror aesthetic and don't mind that it's post-processed to not be entirely actual-play, I know some people really like "Dark Dice".

I enjoyed much of Nights of Eveningstar (Forgotten Realms but not Sword Coast, combination of normal adventuring and city building, starting from character level 7ish), and it's pretty intelligible as pure audio.

NRSASD
2022-07-08, 04:01 PM
I had a great time with Carrots and Suffering! They’re an actual play game and it kinda shows , but after the first couple episodes I was hooked and the audio quality substantially improves. Interesting plot, world, and fabulous characters. The DM is especially good, but they all do a splendid.
Plus, they’re Oregonians!

Psyren
2022-07-08, 04:04 PM
Queens of Adventure has the unique spin of being drag queens that play 5e. The themes/language, while not overly vulgar, can be more adult-oriented so beware of that.

Xihirli
2022-07-08, 04:23 PM
Dropout’s Dimension 20 has a whole bunch

There’s The Unexpectables, which I love a lot.

Grey Watcher
2022-07-08, 06:44 PM
Dropout’s Dimension 20 has a whole bunch

On that topic, if you're into urban fantasy in particular, I've enjoyed what I've seen/heard of The Unsleeping City so far. (Basic premise, NYC, but with MAGIC!)

EDIT: As for why, well, I live in New York, so the setting is obviously immediately accessible to me. Brennan Lee Mulligan's excitement boosts things quite a bit. I find the way he interweaves NYC history and such in with the magical parts of the setting interesting. BLM does comedic villains without undercutting the menace (full disclosure, the very first antagonist was a bit one note, but I've enjoyed the rest a lot more).

IsaacsAlterEgo
2022-07-08, 07:04 PM
Dimension 20 and The Adventure Zone are both good ones (though I think TAZ has some campaigns where they use other, non-DnD systems, but I know for a fact the first one is 5e). I've also heard good things about Rude Tales of Magic and Not Another D&D Podcast but haven't given them a listen myself yet.

ChaosStar
2022-07-08, 08:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/c/Newbiespud is easy to listen to and has a ton of campaigns from many different systems. Nothing new has been posted in a while, but this still gives tons to listen to. I recommend Fallout is Dragons, Tales of New Dunhaven, The Cinematic Universe, Agents OF COURSE, Renegades of Riverhop, Ironclaw Infiltrators, The Forgotten Ones, and Murder in Jumpspace. A wide variety of genres and each has Newbiespud as either the DM or a Player.

yellowrocket
2022-07-08, 09:08 PM
It's in progress and probably better if you've watched their Epic NPC man skips, but I love Rob DMing Viva La Dirt Leagues dnd campaign. The characters are great but him putting up with them and adapting to them is an example of great dming and he does voices pretty damn good too.

Galadhrim
2022-07-09, 09:29 AM
If you like comedy, dungeons and daddies (not a bdsm podcast) is great. I've often times ended up laughing uncontrollable at red lights.
https://www.dungeonsanddaddies.com/

One that is in progress right now that I'm very much enjoying is The Night Shift. You can watch on you tube or listen on podcast (I listen on Spotify). The world building is especially great in this one.
https://twitter.com/NightShiftRPG?t=JMZfbzphH7-z6QCCSga99A&s=09

Edit to add links.

KorvinStarmast
2022-07-09, 09:52 AM
Sorry, wrong thread.

Kashew
2022-07-09, 10:11 PM
I've enjoyed listening to Total Party Kill from the incomparable podcast network. I think they've got a campaign going in 4th edition right now, with lots of holiday specials and great audio quality.