PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Scholar Class Looking for Feedback

Goobahfish
2022-07-08, 10:26 PM
Hi All,

I have built a Scholar class. It takes inspiration from every scholar/academic/savant/factotum class I could find on the interwebs.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/7lhbe6lZ5Kek

TL:DR version
It is a non-magical academic-style class that focusses on collaborative combat and investigation-style roleplaying.

Mechanically:
The Resource
Insight Die: (Int + 1)/short rest. Increase as you level up. By default can be added to Int checks and saves.
Gambits: Similar to invocations. Grant extra options for Insight Die and different proficiencies.

Combat
The scholar uses a Bonus Action to mark adversaries. You may use your Int for attacks against Marked enemies. You may then use Bonus Action to add a free Insight Die to damage against the marked target (i.e. round 2).

At 5th, instead of extra attack you can use your reaction to add a free Insight Die to an ally's damage roll.

At 6th you get an extra reaction (so you can potentially add this damage twice, thrice at 18th).

Some Rationale
#1: So D&D necessitates combat effectiveness. I didn't want spells, nor 'beat-stick' combat. My theory was that the Scholar should have a 'tactician' vibe where you do things similar to commander's strike (Battle Master). As it doesn't have spells, it needs to roughly compete with classes like Rogues and Monks for damage output.

The idea for this style of character is to gain Insight into monsters (advantage on checks to learn about monsters) so the advantages are more organic than just flat bonuses. That said a certain amount of flat bonuses are necessary to work in 5E.

Out of combat I didn't just want it to be expertise x 20. The gambits are designed to broaden the play-style rather than augment it. The subclasses grant a defacto expertise.

DPS Analysis
At 1st, you can do Weapon damage +D6 (on marked targets)
At 5th, you can potentially do Weapon damage +2D6 damage (on marked targets, bonus, reaction), at 6th this increases to Weapon damage +3D6 each turn (bonus, 2 reactions, which is roughly rogue-like). You need to have helpful allies to achieve this however.
This grows to potentially +4D10 at the end? It feels a little underpowered (sneak attack grants 10D6 by this stage).

Some Concerns
Unarmored Combat is again pretty common and not a horrible way to handle the 'unarmored' scholar vibe. I delayed this to level 2 to avoid single 'dips'. At level 1, the scholar can cope as a light-armor sniper type.

I wasn't sure how to 'peg' the power level of Gambits. Warlock invocations assume a 'decent' caster behind them.

As it stands, the class feels underpowered, but I'm not sure how to tweak it without overtuning it. Any advice would be most helfpul.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-07-08, 10:55 PM
Thinking about things:
* Insight die other than damage are quite weak (like a Bardic Inspiration except way more limited, since INT checks and saves are way less common that any check or save).
* DPR (using W as the weapon damage, including modifier):

T1:
Round 1: Mark + attack = W. Uses every action except a reaction.
Round 2+: Attack + Insight = W + d6. Uses every action except a reaction.
Total over 3 rounds: 3W + 2d6. Assuming a quarterstaff, versatile, that 3d8 + 2d4 + 3*Mod.
Using my RED assumptions for modifiers, that's 27.5 damage (everything hits, no crits), or less than 1 RED @ level 1 (~10 dpr) even after accuracy!. That's...seriously weak. Because that's not only steady state, that's maximum. And doesn't improve until level 5 except by modifier.

T2: Not much better. Total over 3 rounds is 3W + 2d6 (bonus actions) + 3d6 (reactions every turn) + 3*Mod, for a total of 43. Sure, it's an improvement. Except that 1 RED is 54 damage over 3 rounds. You've fallen even further behind. And are action-locked to even eek out that much--you've burned every single action for that. So giving someone an Insight die? Cripples your DPR. And the rogue? Isn't even using their bonus action.

Etc.

Yeah, this is really really weak. And unless the Gambits provide massive damage increases (for the party or the individual), they can't make up for it.

Honestly, I'd say that if you want to mimic Extra Attack, I'd say that if you hit a Marked target, you deal an extra two weapon dice (one below level 5), no action required. Why 2? Because Extra attack also gives the modifier, which is as large as the average of a d8 most of the time. And that will basically only get you up to baseline.

That, or make it so that the party as a whole gains large benefits from attacking a Marked target. Such as "allies that hit a Marked target deal extra damage equal to your Insight die".

Goobahfish
2022-07-09, 03:24 AM
First, thanks for the feedback :)

Thinking about things:
* Insight die other than damage are quite weak (like a Bardic Inspiration except way more limited, since INT checks and saves are way less common that any check or save).

So one thing that kind of bothers me in 5E is the lack of codification of what you can 'Intelligence' your way into knowing what a monster is, is weak to etc. When I started writing it I was trying to avoid prescribing an ability which does this codification (as at some tables it isn't meaningful). At any rate, I've added Wisdom checks to the list of allowable checks (Survival, Medicine etc).

BTW, unlike Bard these bonuses are for the Scholar only (rather than allies), so yes, even weaker.

* DPR (using W as the weapon damage, including modifier):
T1 & T2 <snip >

T1: So, based on your numbers, I have updated it to be:
Bonus damage is implicit with a Mark (no extra action required) which means it triggers turn 1.
This grants a bonus 2.5 which gets one just up to 10 dps/turn (i.e. 30).

This still isn't amazing, but hopefully is 'sufficient'.

T2: Well, we just got a 3.5 bonus which gets up to 46.5. At level 6, we get a extra reaction per turn, which if spent on the party gets
another 10.5 for 57 (which is sounding... close). We still have our bonus action and we get 46.5 if we keep 1 reaction/turn.

Again... getting close to baseline.

There are a handful of Gambits which allow using the bonus action to add another Insight Die (mostly to allies), which now that the original bonus is implicit can give some limited "burst" damage.

Bonus: Help as a bonus, if hit add Insight Die
Bonus: Free half-move for ally, if hit add Insight Die

Hopefully this takes it from "really, really weak" down to "quite weak".