PDA

View Full Version : Best level 2 spells for a ranged battle smith?

Spacehamster
2022-07-09, 01:14 PM
So guys and gals, which lvl2 spells would ppl with experience of playing an battle smith artificer say is best for both utility and battle? Know I can swap at each rest but which ones should I try to have prepared most of the time? :)

DragonBaneDM
2022-07-09, 01:31 PM
So guys and gals, which lvl2 spells would ppl with experience of playing an battle smith artificer say is best for both utility and battle? Know I can swap at each rest but which ones should I try to have prepared most of the time? :)

Web, Vortex Warp, and Spider Climb seem like some really good spells that get even better with the fact that you’re primarily a ranged combatant.

Invisibility and Aid are great general buff spells to just have on hand. Aid was my go-to 2nd level spell.

Finally, Lesser Restoration and See Invisibility are situational spells that you’ll probably make the swap to after a scouting report from a familiar/rogue or if you have any other intel on what you’re encountering.

If I’m being honest, when I hit 5th level with my Battle Smith, I felt spoiled for choices, but in a really great way.

stoutstien
2022-07-10, 06:02 AM

Web is probably your best bet but there is a solid argument for enlarge/reduce, enhanced ability, and if applicable vortex warp.

Saying that, artificer is a class that really promotes proactive planning so rather than a best spell/infusion/weapon load out it's more about having what you need when you need it.

Waazraath
2022-07-10, 02:24 PM
Enhance Ability. Long duration, good buff for ability checks, and pre-combat on the party member for whom its the most important to go first (probably the one who does battle field control).

animorte
2022-07-10, 02:54 PM
Pyrotechnics all the way! It's a versatile enough spell that I've always enjoyed since 3.5e, but certainly loses value the fewer spell slots you have. So, moving on...

Excellent recommendations thus far.

Rope Trick hasn't been mentioned and can be an extremely useful. It's not recommended during combat, but can provide a much needed safe haven almost no matter where you are. If nobody in your party benefits from a short rest though, perhaps not. Considering what your party has available, like another caster with good control spells, you may not need to focus as much on it.